Good Idea switching to Cat Diesels?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I Don't Know!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
He's full of it. Cat doesn't have anything that would work well in the light truck market. Its been awhile since I've checked out their lineup, but I don't think they've even got anything that would fit between the fender wells.

A more likely rumble that I heard through some of my old contacts is that Navistar is finally going to dump those HEUI injectors and move to a Siemens piezo-electric injection system (the 6.0L was originally supposed to have this system).

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1x1xbqh1 said:
He's full of it. Cat doesn't have anything that would work well in the light truck market. Its been awhile since I've checked out their lineup, but I don't think they've even got anything that would fit between the fender wells.

A more likely rumble that I heard through some of my old contacts is that Navistar is finally going to dump those HEUI injectors and move to a Siemens piezo-electric injection system (the 6.0L was originally supposed to have this system).

Rod

Thats kinda what I was thinkin. :roll:

Wilson_Cattle_Company":pbrvvjxn said:
:shock: :shock:

I was talking to a Ford salesman the otherday and he said Ford is going to switch their Diesels to Cat Diesels in 2008!

What do you guys think about this? Anyone else heard of this? :shock:

Haven't you learned yet that a salesman would rather tell a lie than the truth? Ford will introduce a 6.4L diesel from Navistar in 2007 and you think they will drop it like a hot potato one year later?

Ford is looking for a small V6 diesel for the F150 but I don't know who is working on it for them. I know at one time Navistar was.

I'm not even sure they still make the 3208. I looked at Cat's website and the smallest engine I saw was a C7, which is based on a 3126.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 3208 was only about 200 HP in its most powerful incarnation. While it made gobs of bottom side torque, it wouldn't run with the Cummins, Navistar or D-Max. Its unfortunate, as I like Cat engines.

Rod

well i dont have any inside connections at ford...but the seawolf class submarines have cat diesels...mine has a fairbanks morse 38ND8-1/8

DiamondSCattleCo":31vp7qm4 said:
I'm not even sure they still make the 3208. I looked at Cat's website and the smallest engine I saw was a C7, which is based on a 3126.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 3208 was only about 200 HP in its most powerful incarnation. While it made gobs of bottom side torque, it wouldn't run with the Cummins, Navistar or D-Max. Its unfortunate, as I like Cat engines.

Rod

Yea the 3208 was a slug of a motor. The 3408 was a little better but never caught on like the 3406.

None of them are viable options in a light truck.

First off, IF you beleive a Salesman, you're nuts. They are at the bottom of the food chain. Secondly, I'll guarantold you that moves on a Power Builder are Top Secret.Just as Sheet Metal changes, and other design changes.

Crowderfarms":1ry0sxrs said:
First off, IF you beleive a Salesman, you're nuts. They are at the bottom of the food chain. Secondly, I'll guarantold you that moves on a Power Builder are Top Secret.Just as Sheet Metal changes, and other design changes.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D

:lol:

Crowder you almost made me bust a gut! :shock:

I know never to believe a salesman! haha no way! I have done plenty of shoppin around and I like to B.S. with salesman infact oneday I was overbouts to Cherokee and went over to Croft Chevorlet and started dinkin around with a dually with a Duramax by time I looked up after kickin my first tire here came a salesman on a dead run :lol: I asked him if isuzu made the Duramax and he said heck no that everyone was sayin that well I went along with it and I said welp pop the hood I want to check this deal out! so he did and I got to lookin round and by golly if I didnt see isuzu on that motor so I says "something done shi... on this motor!!" I showed him where it said isuzu got in my pickup (FORD) and left without sayin a word ;-) that dumb bunny :roll:

flaboy+":gknumj8g said:
Ford is looking for a small V6 diesel for the F150 but I don't know who is working on it for them. I know at one time Navistar was.

Ford already has a V-6 Powerstroke.

http://www.meadowlandford.com/new-ford-lcf-low-cab-forward.htm

4.5L Power Stroke® V-6 turbo diesel
200 horsepower @ 2750 rpm
440 lb.-ft. of torque @ 1850 rpm.

Looks like they could just put that engine in the F-150s or even the F-250s for people needing economy but not requiring the larger diesel.

A while back I heard that Ford was looking to replace the Powerstroke with either a Cat, Deere, or Cummins. I also heard they wanted a diesel F-150, so possibly they may be looking at those 3 for a diesel for half ton trucks?

That rumor goes around every now and again, but its not based on any factual information, just someone yakkin. :) Cat doesn't have anything light enough for a half-ton truck. Cummins is contractually bound to Dodge until 2008, and its pretty much a guarantee that Dodge will renew that contract. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Yanmar builds anything small enough for a 1/2 ton that would compete with either the Benx in the sprinter van or the Detroit 40.

Rod

Subsoil":1nj72swh said:
flaboy+":1nj72swh said:

Ford already has a V-6 Powerstroke.

http://www.meadowlandford.com/new-ford-lcf-low-cab-forward.htm

4.5L Power Stroke® V-6 turbo diesel
200 horsepower @ 2750 rpm
440 lb.-ft. of torque @ 1850 rpm.

Looks like they could just put that engine in the F-150s or even the F-250s for people needing economy but not requiring the larger diesel.

Ford looked at several International engines this one included. Either they won't fit or they are too heavy. Power to weight ratio remember? There is a new one in the works though.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":372cqcns said:
A while back I heard that Ford was looking to replace the Powerstroke with either a Cat, Deere, or Cummins. I also heard they wanted a diesel F-150, so possibly they may be looking at those 3 for a diesel for half ton trucks?

This rumor gets started by the Dodge and Chebby guys whenever they feel the need to harp on Ford.

I agree with Rod, the Yanmar may fit but they don't have the power needed for todays trucks or they are too heavy. They will keep putting them in those expensive John Deere's though. ;-)

Cat makes some of the best diesel engines out there. I own 2 of them, and they start well, have power, torque, and run smooth with little maintanence. If Ford was to switch, it would be a good move. The only problem is these computers that they try to use are real garbage. I wish they would have stuck to the old mechanical engines.

Latest posts