Ford 555c Backhoe flywheel

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I have the opertunity to buy a Ford 555c Backhoe in good shape at a decent price, the thing wrong with it is the fly wheel needs replaceing, Is anyone familar with this model and what would be the procedure to replace the flywheel, how much labor involved , if done at a mechanic shop a ball park figure to replace.

Cowboy, any work done on the flywheel, clutch, throwout bearing, etc, involves splitting the tractor. Around my neck of the woods it's a thousand dollars (and up) to split it.

cowboy43":1jt2h2xw said:
That's what I suspected so about $2000 should be budgeted for repairs and hope it does not go higher.

If you are going to to split it, fix anything that might need to be fixed later.

cowboy43":1346y77e said:
I have the opertunity to buy a Ford 555c Backhoe in good shape at a decent price, the thing wrong with it is the fly wheel needs replaceing, Is anyone familar with this model and what would be the procedure to replace the flywheel, how much labor involved , if done at a mechanic shop a ball park figure to replace.
What is the complaint with the machine that lends to a flywheel replacement as the cure? Thanks in advance.

I have not got to check the machine out, I have gotten the information thru a mechanic friend and the owner to him. The information I have it is a good operateing machine and the owner has to pull the tractor to start it and the owner says the flywheel is bad. He is asking $3500 for it , and I was gathering information before I check it out and make an offer.

I previously worked at a NH dealer, the "c's" wer pretty hard to work on in my opinion. I like the "e"s" better. It would be a pretty good job to split one with a cab on it.

I am pretty sure that a 555 work be hard to pull start. Had one once but its been a while back. If it ain't running you got no way to have hyd. pressure to make the clutch work.

cowboy43":lh25p1n4 said:
I have not got to check the machine out, I have gotten the information thru a mechanic friend and the owner to him. The information I have it is a good operateing machine and the owner has to pull the tractor to start it and the owner says the flywheel is bad. He is asking $3500 for it , and I was gathering information before I check it out and make an offer.

We've got a 455C, they've got a torque converter type trans that uses hydraulic pressure to run, you can't pull them.

Is the hoe near VA? If it is and you're not interested let me know.

Latest posts