Ford 4000 thermostart info?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
1972 Ford 4000 diesel.
I have a major leak (drips) while running, looking at the manual it appears to be the thermostart reservoir? It is leaking all over the tank and down the tractor, it's such a mess it's hard to tell but it doesn't appear the fuel line is leaking. I can find VERY little information on this part, and can't find where to order it so a trip to the dealer may be involved. They are ridiculous on parts prices but the only thing I can find online is the thermostart part that goes in the block which is cheap.

Is this a common fail part? anyone with experience in this area will be much appreciated,
thanks,
Kelly

No, not yet, nothing listed as that, I'm looking at the fuel system diagram. Will keep digging.
thanks for the link, looks like they have pretty much everything,
Kelly

Kell,
Can you post a pic or if you text text it to me I work on those tractors and sell a bunch and may be able to tell you because im not exactly clear on what you are talking about from the post. Are you meaning the thermostat housing?

It "appears" to be leaking from the Thermostart Reservoir part # C5NN9N425B
I got that word "thermostart" from the manual, or internet forums reference?, but it is referred to on diagrams as the intake heater (cold start) reservoir.

going to have to make sure before I lay out that amount of cash

http://www.messicks.com/nh/64887?sectionId=20594&diagramId=64887_498815

it looks VERY similar to the thermostart system on a Yanmar, our JD 950 had it.

I think a little creativity could work for you.. A piece of 2" long, 1 1/2" pipe and two caps, drill and tap nipples into it. One on the top is the "filler", one near the top is the overflow, and the bottom goes to the thermostart

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you even need it. Later models did away with it all together. There should be enough fuel in the line.

I've never seen one of the actual reservoirs go bad and start leaking. I think they have two flared fittings and one nipple type with a piece of hose connecting it to the third line. My bet would be one of those fittings is leaking, and most likely the hose has dry rotted between the nipple and steel line. Snug up both flares and replace the fuel hose before you spend the money on a new part. That's not a pressurized part, the lines are 1. a return from the injector overflow, 2. a return to tank, and 3. a supply to Thermostart.

The Thermostart is basically a single glow plug that heats up some fuel and sends it into the intake manifold as you start it. It's activated by holding the switch in the first spring loaded position for 10 or 15 seconds prior to moving the key to the 2nd spring position to activate starter. Never use ether with a Thermostart, my apologies if you already knew that.

cfpinz":2zk30udl said:
I've never seen one of the actual reservoirs go bad and start leaking. I think they have two flared fittings and one nipple type with a piece of hose connecting it to the third line. My bet would be one of those fittings is leaking, and most likely the hose has dry rotted between the nipple and steel line. Snug up both flares and replace the fuel hose before you spend the money on a new part. That's not a pressurized part, the lines are 1. a return from the injector overflow, 2. a return to tank, and 3. a supply to Thermostart.

The Thermostart is basically a single glow plug that heats up some fuel and sends it into the intake manifold as you start it. It's activated by holding the switch in the first spring loaded position for 10 or 15 seconds prior to moving the key to the 2nd spring position to activate starter. Never use ether with a Thermostart, my apologies if you already knew that.

ditto

cfpinz":156ppkjh said:

awesome, thanks, will check tonight, well, this weekend maybe...

Latest posts