Ford 3000

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
A guy on a hunting forum I'm on is selling a ford 3000 with a shredder for 3k obo. Seems reasonable and he's just up the road from me. Anything to know about this tractor before taking a look?

I have a 3600 that's been bulletproof since the late 70s. Looks like hammered dog pooh, but hasn't let me down yet, and excels pulling a bush hog.

If I was looking for another one and found a 3000 with a shredder for $3k it would be hard to pass up.

mine is diesel........i've never seen a 3000 series gasser around here.
Not sure if all had factory power steering tho.

The only common problem I am aware of is a power steering fluid weep type leak that shows up at the steering wheel, but it's actually a bad seal down in the PS gearbox. To fix it, you have to remove the hood, fuel tank and instrument panel and install a new seal/bushing, but a lot of people just plumb a line from the steering wheel support back to the reservoir or even down to a container by the gearshift.

I asked if it was gas or diesel. Haven't heard back yet. If I can ever pick up a lease place, this would be a perfect tractor to leave somewhere and just use to feed hay and shred with. Wouldn't be married to it and I can pay for it outright.

Pretty sure we are looking at the same one on the same hunting forum, its a diesel. A gasser has a carb hanging on passenger side and a spin on oil filter on driver side. I am not interested in buying it but thought it was a good deal for the price.

I like 3000's and find and sell a bunch but one thing ive found with the ones I kept is something always happens with the PTO which you can fix but is a pain in the butt... That being said gas or diesel id buy it heck 8n's are 3 grand when I sell them

SALTBRANCH2":19vpfesp said:
Pretty sure we are looking at the same one on the same hunting forum, its a diesel. A gasser has a carb hanging on passenger side and a spin on oil filter on driver side. I am not interested in buying it but thought it was a good deal for the price.
Tbh?

5S Cattle":2d17k27g said:
SALTBRANCH2":2d17k27g said:
Tbh?
Yes Sir

SALTBRANCH2":1dk6ek9o said:
5S Cattle":1dk6ek9o said:
SALTBRANCH2":1dk6ek9o said:
Tbh?
Yes Sir
Cool, what's your handle on there?

My parents got a Ford 3000, years ago, I'm still using it today. Been a good little tractor, use to use it pretty heavy for setting tobacco, raking hay etc. Now mainly just use it to move gravity wagons, and to till garden plots. Ours is a diesel engine, sometimes see them with gasoline engines too. There seems to quite a few of those models still in use.

greybeard":8r8cfie5 said:
mine is diesel........i've never seen a 3000 series gasser around here.
Not sure if all had factory power steering tho.

The only common problem I am aware of is a power steering fluid weep type leak that shows up at the steering wheel, but it's actually a bad seal down in the PS gearbox. To fix it, you have to remove the hood, fuel tank and instrument panel and install a new seal/bushing, but a lot of people just plumb a line from the steering wheel support back to the reservoir or even down to a container by the gearshift.
I just fixed that same seal on mine. It's not too bad, takes about an hour or so. The gas tank stays on, just had to pull the hood and instrument panel. Trickiest part for me was putting the seal in the correct way. I put the first one in upside down, put it all back together and the fluid poured out when I started it up. :dunce:

If I was buying I would prefer a 4100, 4000su, 4610su for the improved brakes and independent PTO and most had power steering. Also more HP. I had a chance to swap a 2500 for a 4100 many years ago and I still own it. Had to give $500 difference.

I have had a 3600 since 1977 new. It has been a good little tractor and probably my favorite. At and auction a couple months ago I bid $4900 on a cream puff 3000 with 1100 hours and hydraulics that went for $5000. I saw three more sell that looked pretty rough for around 3k as I am tired of working on junk and didn't bid.

Latest posts