#3000 on 6120 FEL

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
How well will a JD 6120 handle #3000 on pallets with the FEL?

I have some pallets of grass coming this week. They say they are #3000 each. I'm trying to find the lifting capacity but was hoping some one could speak to it directly.

At a minimum I need to take them off the trailer and set them straight down. Best case I can put them in the barn and move them to the area to be put out later.

3000lbs is a lot. What loader? Real pallet forks or the kind that go on your bucket?
We lift two 1,800lb sets of concrete slats at a time with our fwd 6330/ 673ldr and pallet forks. Fluid in the back tires, fwd on. Pick them up off the semi and set them down. It will do it, but it's a lot.

3000lbs is a lot. What loader? Real pallet forks or the kind that go on your bucket?
We lift two 1,800lb sets of concrete slats at a time with our fwd 6330/ 673ldr and pallet forks. Fluid in the back tires, fwd on. Pick them up off the semi and set them down. It will do it, but it's a lot.

540 M loader, it's a fwd

I have a big grader blade on the rear 3pt for counter balance even when hauling a full load of dirt in the bucket.

It's a full set of pallet forks, not the clamp on ones.

Last edited:
I lift a lot of stuff with my old 7570 Kubota using chains/straps. It has a 4in 1 bucket and with the bucket open the lifting is close to the end of the arms rather than right out on a set of forks which gives me a bit more lifting power but I lose a little in height. I regularly lift 1 tonne bags (1000kg or 2200lb) and I am sure I have greatly exceeded this from time to time. Always a counter weight and will just bring it off my truck straight down to close to ground before moving.

Ken

I'm trying to think of a example. Usually use a skid steer around the house for a forklift but sometimes use a the 5100 with forks. The closest thing I can think would be the pallets of Sudan seed come 50 50 pound bags. 2500 pounds .
It will unload them with nothing on the 3 point. Ballest in the tires. Gets a little high in the back. I'll think you'll be fine on the 6 series . Just be careful.

Have some extra pallets handy in case you have to unload some by hand.. 😁

I've got the same loader on a JD 5083e amd a JD 5075e. I really think your max will be about 2,200 pounds. Much more than a pallet of cattle cubes is all the will take. Check your air in your front tires first because the can't handle as much as the rears. I picked up a squeeze chute that weighted 2,200 and all I could do was lift it and pull the trailer out from under it. Hope that helps.
Gary

6 series has a good bit of weight advantage over the 5 series. I have a 5075e with a 520m loader and the weak link is the tractor weight. I would think with a 6 series, counter weight, and a little stronger loader in the 540, you could at least set them on the ground?

I'm trying to think of a example. Usually use a skid steer around the house for a forklift but sometimes use a the 5100 with forks. The closest thing I can think would be the pallets of Sudan seed come 50 50 pound bags. 2500 pounds .
It will unload them with nothing on the 3 point. Ballest in the tires. Gets a little high in the back. I'll think you'll be fine on the 6 series . Just be careful.

Have some extra pallets handy in case you have to unload some by hand.. 😁
Don't put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!

The tractor handled the pallets of sod with out a problem. I didn't get crazy but I never felt uneasy about it. I had plenty of hydraulics also to lift, tilt, etc.

The tractor has wheel weight and I had a grademaster on the 3pt that probably weighs #1000-15000. Don't think I would want to do it with out the additional weight on back.

Thanks for all the replies.

The tractor handled the pallets of sod with out a problem. I didn't get crazy but I never felt uneasy about it. I had plenty of hydraulics also to lift, tilt, etc.

The tractor has wheel weight and I had a grademaster on the 3pt that probably weighs #1000-15000. Don't think I would want to do it with out the additional weight on back.

Thanks for all the replies.

Here was one of my sketchy lifts, that lathe is crowding 6000 lbs , I had to go over the front of the bucket to get close enough, but i couldn't move an inch with it that way, had to drive the trailer out from under it, then hook it up behind the bucket and it was good then.

20200628_114142.jpg

Here was one of my sketchy lifts, that lathe is crowding 6000 lbs , I had to go over the front of the bucket to get close enough, but i couldn't move an inch with it that way, had to drive the trailer out from under it, then hook it up behind the bucket and it was good then.

View attachment 17889
I have that same loader Nessie and when I was building my house (close to 30 years ago), I moved big bundles of cinderblock and brick to where they were needed on the job. On more than one occasion the rear of the tracks came off the ground and I just sort of crept the bundle to where it was needed, never raising it more than a few inches off the ground. Those old JD track machines are workhorses.

I have that same loader Nessie and when I was building my house (close to 30 years ago), I moved big bundles of cinderblock and brick to where they were needed on the job. On more than one occasion the rear of the tracks came off the ground and I just sort of crept the bundle to where it was needed, never raising it more than a few inches off the ground. Those old JD track machines are workhorses.
without a doubt it's been the most useful and versatile machine on the farm, it's slower than a skidsteer but no skidsteer will compete with it for brute force, we have a hoe attachment for it and log forks.. wish I had a 3-in-1 bucket for it.

really handy for pulling engines, splitting tractors,etc, hydraulics stay put really well
Hardcopy scans feb 17 2007 -04-3.jpg

Putting up the hayshed posts
IMG_0060.jpg

Butchering
20210808_093310.jpg

and it's dug a lot of ditch in some pretty horrid ground, that poor backhoe was soooo sloppy you just waited for it to dangle right and drop it in, sure has a lot of power to dig a rock out though
IMG_7109.JPG

I only have the bucket on mine, but it has a PTO in the back and the welded cleats on the tracks. It will climb a pretty darn steep hill.
this one got widened and has swamp tracks.. not really good in our rock, they're 6" wider pads than normal, and pretty worn now, I wouldn't trust it on slippery stuff and a steep hill