For What It's Worth

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
This may not be the proper place for this post but it does have to do with beginners. Today I was looking over our farm records from past years and was reminded of an old saying: "God takes care of fools and drunks." We aren't drunks.
When we started out in 2000, we were not completely strangers to cattle but our knowledge was much more limited than we realized. We bought 30 late bred heifers sight unseen. This was a private treaty sale from a reputable source. We had fences, corrals and working pens. We had 27 healthy calves born. One heifer did not have a calf and 2 calves died. We were so ill prepared for the many things that could have happened and didn't. Our knowledge of the danger of Momma cows was nil. We knew they were not pets but I did not realize how dangerous they could be.
The people on this board helped us tremendously but it was not always kind and it hurt pretty bad sometimes. I really appreciate all I have learned over the years. I still need to learn a lot more and I will probably be asking some more dumb questions that will irritate those who know so much but I just realized today how far I have come in these past years and I thank many of you for that.

most all of us learned the cattle business by the seat of our pants.now with computers we have the help of people here at cattletoday.an new people can read the board to see if weve talked about their problem.

I feel your pain. We started in 2003 with no prior knowledge just a burning desire to do it right the first time. I can remember being so excited the first time I got a half way positive response from Caustic or Dun. It was like a little kid getting praise from a parent. Yes, sometimes it wasn't pretty, but I would rather risk my pride and ask a stupid question than risk my animal's health by not asking. I have proven that time and again.

You know you are getting better when you can actually reply to a post and have something to contribute or you start not reading every post because you are already comfortable with that topic. Either way, it is cool to look back and see how far you have come.

Here's to even more knowledge in 2008!

Mosho":1vm20z1r said:
This may not be the proper place for this post but it does have to do with beginners. Today I was looking over our farm records from past years and was reminded of an old saying: "God takes care of fools and drunks." We aren't drunks.
When we started out in 2000, we were not completely strangers to cattle but our knowledge was much more limited than we realized. We bought 30 late bred heifers sight unseen. This was a private treaty sale from a reputable source. We had fences, corrals and working pens. We had 27 healthy calves born. One heifer did not have a calf and 2 calves died. We were so ill prepared for the many things that could have happened and didn't. Our knowledge of the danger of Momma cows was nil. We knew they were not pets but I did not realize how dangerous they could be.
The people on this board helped us tremendously but it was not always kind and it hurt pretty bad sometimes. I really appreciate all I have learned over the years. I still need to learn a lot more and I will probably be asking some more dumb questions that will irritate those who know so much but I just realized today how far I have come in these past years and I thank many of you for that.

What a nice post. :D None of us were born knowing about cattle. Some grew up with them, some actually went to school and learned something about them. Some just waded in and paid the price for learning as they went. Good luck with your herd and I hope you stay around the Cattle Today Boards.

Mosho":lca79igc said:
We were so ill prepared for the many things that could have happened and didn't. Our knowledge of the danger of Momma cows was nil. We knew they were not pets but I did not realize how dangerous they could be.

Good post.

How was your reception to advice back then verses now?

This is a nice and peacefull thread!!!
I also have learned a lot on here, thanks to everyone who contributes for the good of everyone!!
I also had the same thought. It is amazing how far a person can get in just a few short years with all the info available! This is great.
An old timer told me numerous times, if a person really does not know, there is no such thing as a stupid question, except for the question that he or she does not ask!
This has helped me to actually have enough courage to ask any question I may have!

Wewild;
Interesting question. I know or think for me, I am more receptive now than I was a few years ago. :nod:

Good thread, good attitude from all. That's what this is all suppose to be about.

Lots to learn here, and plenty of good people to teach it.

I echo all the above posts , this forum has "learned ' me so much over the past year ! Priceless for people starting out :clap:

Caustic Burno":24ew8t7d said:
In this job you never quit screwing up with time and experience they just get a little further apart.

And sometimes no matter how well planned or cared for, something will pop up out of the blue and bite your butt.
All of us that have been at this very long know all too well how that feels.

Mosho":1bpuzh08 said:
The more I know the more I find I have to learn.

Mosho":2hqyydn7 said:
The people on this board helped us tremendously but it was not always kind and it hurt pretty bad sometimes.

The board has changed for the better I think Mosho. I remember some of the "attacks" when you posted a few years ago. It's one thing to get advice, but nobody needs to endure ridicule or insult to get it.

There are lots of "silly newbie" questions being asked now that folks never would have dared ask a few years ago. And folks are having fun with that now.

Glad to hear your are still at it and doing well. Your post was a bright spot in my day.

AngusLimoX

Thanks to all of you for the nice responses. Wewild, I think I accept the advice today about the same as I did at first. The difference is my skin has grown thicker and I'm not shocked when the advice doesn't come wrapped in honey.

You folks have a very cool board here,i'm new here and generally spend my time on ranchers net.That's much a different board over there but i like it, most have been ranching for thirty years of more,so needless to say there not begginers.But i like the info i get even if it comes with the price of a little shame sometimes,makes ya' tougher!!Anywho just want to say there's no such thing as a stupid question,ever.Get the answers you need, so when your all alone and no ones around to help you can get through your situation with minimal stress for you and your stock.Glad to know ya pards.Have'nt posted any pics,but if you go over to ranchers net,under ranch blog you can look under "just me"thread and i have a pic.Take it easy,talk soon!!

Re:
An old timer told me numerous times, if a person really does not know, there is no such thing as a stupid question, except for the question that he or she does not ask!
No truer words were ever spoken.
My age is rapidly approaching the speed limit on I-75 and I've been around cattle all my life and still, I will openly admit I don't know it all and have learned a lot from this board.
Yes I may seem bull headed and love to pull people's chain, but if I seem to put up a big fight, it is only because I want you to prove your point before I change my position. It has absolutely nothing to do with whom is right or wrong.

As for you beginners, here's a little more info fer ya.
Keep your day job because if you think you are going to get rich with cattle you are sadly mistaken. I've been there done that several times. I've been to the big city and made big bucks several times only to go right back into the cattle business. Now I am in the process of writing a book about raising cattle. The title is " How to make a small fortune in cattle" sub-title "start with a large fortune".
So if you are not into cattle for the good life and the love of cattle and the great outdoors, you are in the wrong business.

Glade you all are here and I am more then willing to share my life time experience in the cattle business with you.
Best of luck to all of you and may God bless you and yours no matter what road you take.
SL
:tiphat:

Sir Loin":137e3u91 said:
No truer words were ever spoken.
My age is rapidly approaching the speed limit on I-75 and I've been around cattle all my life and still, I will openly admit I don't know it all and have learned a lot from this board.
Yes I may seem bull headed and love to pull people's chain, but if I seem to put up a big fight, it is only because I want you to prove your point before I change my position. It has absolutely nothing to do with whom is right or wrong.

As for you beginners, here's a little more info fer ya.
Keep your day job because if you think you are going to get rich with cattle you are sadly mistaken. I've been there done that several times. I've been to the big city and made big bucks several times only to go right back into the cattle business. Now I am in the process of writing a book about raising cattle. The title is " How to make a small fortune in cattle" sub-title "start with a large fortune".
So if you are not into cattle for the good life and the love of cattle and the great outdoors, you are in the wrong business.

Glade you all are here and I am more then willing to share my life time experience in the cattle business with you.
Best of luck to all of you and may God bless you and yours no matter what road you take.
SL
:tiphat:

Good post.

Latest posts