for those who are curious...Knock Knees

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
here's the picture I promised. Last winter.
knockknees.JPG

Due to the way her hooves were growing she was more severe than that when I sold her... but that's the only good picture I have.

Wish I knew what caused it in the first place, but my vet just shrugged - could have been anything.

(Oh - and here's the other post for those who didn't see it - http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24130)

probably a mineral deficiency or either poisonous plant consumed while she was being gestated.

Could be, Beefy. Boss was pretty sure she wasn't born like that though... although I suppose she could have been very mildly knock kneed at birth and gotten more and more severe as she grew older. Vet said an injury was a possibility - but what's the chance of an injury that affects BOTH knees to the same degree? *shrug*

I honestly don't know how she looked when she was born or when the knock knees first showed up. The first time I noticed her was a few months before her first calf, and she looked like that.

Oh - and FWIW, she had two heifer calves, and both looked perfectly normal. Whatever caused KK's problems doesn't appear to have been genetic. Or at least not a dominant genetic flaw.

She was the last of my structurally imperfect animals. :lol: Had one put down, one butchered, and sold KK. I don't have a problem with taking on cows that need some TLC, but I'm going to try to stick with ones that don't have structural deformities from now on. :lol: :p

Latest posts