Fly Control Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I won't argue that one way or the other. "As far as I know", can't claim something unless they have paid the research - maybe this is only true for drugs.

A mineral is a supplement and not covered by the FDA or USDA. Neither of those regulates supplements at all (unless they find a drug in them). That is why you can buy all of those "male enhancement" supplements and hair grower's ect. :p

sstterry said:
I won't argue that one way or the other. "As far as I know", can't claim something unless they have paid the research - maybe this is only true for drugs.

A mineral is a supplement and not covered by the FDA or USDA. Neither of those regulates supplements at all (unless they find a drug in them). That is why you can buy all of those "male enhancement" supplements and hair grower's ect. :p
How about the level of selenium?

Ebenezer said:
sstterry said:

How about the level of selenium?
It is not regulated as long as it meets the following:

ii) In feed supplements for limit feeding for beef cattle at a level not to exceed an intake of 3 milligrams per head per day.

(iii) In salt-mineral mixtures for free-choice feeding for beef cattle up to 120 parts per million in a mixture for free-choice feeding at a rate not to exceed an intake of 3 milligrams per head per day.

But I doubt that they check it very often. Note, I do not pretend to be an expert. I just know that Supplements, with certain exceptions, are not regulated by the FDA.

Here in Texas all guarantees are checked and tested by the Office of the State Chemist. They are pretty particular about how you describe a product, it's use, any cautions that apply and any restrictions applicable in addition to meeting all stated guarantees. They issue they're "Bible" with all of the various things about almost any additive and ingredient in a product. Things even have to be listed in proper order on a guaranteed analysis tag. And yes everybody fails a test from time to time.

Latest posts