Fly Control Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
Anyone using the mineral for fly control that has garlic and cinnamon in it? I thought I'd give it a shot. 5 weeks in and the flys are almost non existent. I was spraying every 10 days or so. Not having to now. Stuff seems to really work.

CCCowman said:
Anyone using the mineral for fly control that has garlic and cinnamon in it? I thought I'd give it a shot. 5 weeks in and the flys are almost non existent. I was spraying every 10 days or so. Not having to now. Stuff seems to really work.

I have heard of this, but never tried it. Where are you getting it?

sstterry said:
CCCowman said:

I would certainly give it a try as well. I'm not familiar.

We are trying a mineral with garlic in it this year as well. We usually don't put any mineral out once the cows are on pasture (just trace mineral salt blocks) but we have one pasture that we always seem to get a run of pinkeye go through every summer and the flies have been terrible there the last couple of years. Thought this garlic stuff would be well worth it if it would help the pinkeye situation. Fly season hasn't started up here yet but it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. I will try to remember to update this thread in a month or two.

Does this have any insecticide in it? I'm trying to find a fly control method that won't kill the dung beetles but also doesn't require me spraying them every other day.

sstterry said:
CCCowman said:

I'm getting it here at a local farm supply in Sullivan County. He said he's selling it as fast as he can get it in. The name on it is "Range", I think. I'll get a pic of the bag and ingredients tomorrow.

VitaFerm Heat contains garlic for fly control. It also includes Capsaicin.

From their website:

Capsaicin:
Capsaicin keeps cattle eating smaller meals throughout the day while also acting as a vasodilator to mitigate the effects of endophyte positive fescue. Also proven to increase water intake.

Garlic:
Garlic acts as a natural insect repellent as the smell repels insects through breath and skin excretion.

We received our Cow Country magazine today, put out by the KY Cattleman's Assn. In it I saw an advertisement from Southern States about mineral containing cinnamon and garlic, nowhere did it mention for fly control though.
The minerals are:" TRADITIONS HI-MAG BEEF MINERAL WITH CINNAMON AND GARLIC and TRADITIONS PASTURE MATE BEEF MINERAL WITH CINNAMON AND GARLIC".
The closing paragraph of the add reads as follows: " Includes CinnaGar (trade mark symbol), is a blend of plant extracts that may enhance the efficiency of rumen fermentation. CinnaGar(R) is a unique blend of plant extracts designed to enhance rumen efficiency, decrease methane production and shift the rumen volatile fatty acid profile. CinnaGar(R) is manufactured in a patented process in which plant extracts are encapsulated within a fat matrix. Encapsulation prevents evaporation of the plant extracts during feed manufacturing."

We are feeding Southern States Fly Stop mineral currently, after starting that mineral a couple months ago and fly tags the cattle have very few flies at his point and before it was bad.

Seems everyone is trying to get into the garlic/cinna-gar thing while it's "hot". Folks are making a lot of claims but there has been very little research done other than a bit in Canada.

TexasBred said:
Seems everyone is trying to get into the garlic/cinna-gar thing while it's "hot". Folks are making a lot of claims but there has been very little research done other than a bit in Canada.

I was waiting on your take on this.
Your view on history is a little messed up, don't worry I will lead you through it.
You just stay in the lead on feed issues. ;-)

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:

I was waiting on your take on this.
Your view on history is a little messed up, don't worry I will lead you through it.
You just stay in the lead on feed issues. ;-)

You better be careful you ol' relic. Don't make me come down there. If I do be sure and have a cold watermelon. :lol2: :lol:

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
They can't "claim" it does something unless they do the millions of dollars worth of research.

And come out with the answer desired by the company paying for the research. There is less independent thought in extension research than in the past and it all boils down to sourcing funds and grants.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
They can't "claim" it does something unless they do the millions of dollars worth of research.

Who says? Companies do this every day!

Unless there is some inspection from the USDA for cattle minerals that I am not aware of why can't they make all the "claims" they want?

Latest posts