Flushing Multiple Cows and 1 straw

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
A greedy, newbie question. If I had a straw of expensive semen and wanted it to go as far as possible.... could I flush 2 or 3 cows, using synch timing to get the eggs on the same day. Use one straw of semen on the "batch" of eggs to get a maximum amount of viable embyros to be frozen..... and let DNA testing settle who is who?

Sorry guess my mind is working too hard, thanks for any input.
Alan

"Batch of eggs" ??? The eggs are not fertilized after the flushing process( This is done in "In-Vitro fertilization"). The donor is bred usually 2-3(12, 24, and 36 hours after the onset of estrus) times during the estrus cycle, the embryos are then "flushed" 6 to 8 days later and evaluated under a microscope to determine the development. We used the same straw of "high dollar" semen on three donors that were lined up in the chute and ally. We then bred them with something else and DNA tested the calves at birth. We ended up with 7 calves from the "High dollar" bull and 12 from the other (27 eggs were implanted fresh). Pretty successful flush, but it does not always end up that way.

Alan":323gbvdh said:
A greedy, newbie question. If I had a straw of expensive semen and wanted it to go as far as possible.... could I flush 2 or 3 cows, using synch timing to get the eggs on the same day. Use one straw of semen on the "batch" of eggs to get a maximum amount of viable embyros to be frozen..... and let DNA testing settle who is who?

Sorry guess my mind is working too hard, thanks for any input.
Alan
theres no way you can splitt a straw to breed 2 or 3 cows to fush.it just wont work.i dont even know that the eggs would be fertalized.most people use 2 staws of semen to breed the cows they are flushing.that way all the eggs get fertalized.

Thanks for the clarifacation, my assumuption was the eggs where flushed and all mix in a lab dish or something. :oops:

If I understand what you did correctly, you had three donors lined up and ready to breed. You used 1 straw on the high dollar semen between the 3. Then immediatly bred them AI with another straw from a different bull? thus mixing the two bulls semen to be flushed in a few days? My main questions is: you used two bulls at the same breeding? I realize this is not a problem and DNA testing will sort things out.

My wife and I went to a Assoc. sale yesterday and I bought a straw of a high $ bull that was donated for the juniors. I'll hold on to it for a while, but want to get as much out of the straw as I can.

Thanks for the response,
Alan

Alan":3fb9glnf said:
Thanks for the clarifacation, my assumuption was the eggs where flushed and all mix in a lab dish or something. :oops:

If I understand what you did correctly, you had three donors lined up and ready to breed. You used 1 straw on the high dollar semen between the 3. Then immediatly bred them AI with another straw from a different bull? thus mixing the two bulls semen to be flushed in a few days? My main questions is: you used two bulls at the same breeding? I realize this is not a problem and DNA testing will sort things out.

My wife and I went to a Assoc. sale yesterday and I bought a straw of a high $ bull that was donated for the juniors. I'll hold on to it for a while, but want to get as much out of the straw as I can.

Thanks for the response,
Alan
ok hold the phone.when your flushing cows for ET calves.you use 2 staws of semen for the same bull.not 2 differant bulls.if you did that then the calves couldnt be reged.best thing todo is buy 1 more straw of semen you bought.an flush the best cow you have.you want #1 quality eggs.not quanty of eggs.always remember that.

Bigbull--
Better go back to school, and listen up in animal science class. It is very possible to use the same straw of semen on multiple cows. You do everything just like you are breeding normal AI. All of the cows need to be in one stage of the heat cycle, for instance:

COW 1-12 hours into estrus
COW 2-12 hours into estrus
COW 3-24hours into estrus

**COW 3- would have already been bred at least once in this scenerio.

Have all of the cows in the chute. Our system has a Y in it, one fork goes to the working chute, and one goes to a clipping chute. Also we have one cow in the alley with a bar behind her. Prepare your AI gun with the straw of semen, be sure and use a sheath protector over the sheath. Pass the rod into COW 1, inject approx. 1/3 of the semen. Move on to COW 2 replace sheath protector and pass rod. Repeat the same steps on COW 3, excect for following with another bull, because she would have already been bred 12 hours prior to this service. You can have someone follow you immediately with another straw of another bull. It is done all of the time in the regidstered business. The calves all have to be parent verified by DNA testing before registration can be done.

bulldealer":1sfyhaec said:
"Batch of eggs" ??? The eggs are not fertilized after the flushing process( This is done in "In-Vitro fertilization"). The donor is bred usually 2-3(12, 24, and 36 hours after the onset of estrus) times during the estrus cycle, the embryos are then "flushed" 6 to 8 days later and evaluated under a microscope to determine the development. We used the same straw of "high dollar" semen on three donors that were lined up in the chute and ally. We then bred them with something else and DNA tested the calves at birth. We ended up with 7 calves from the "High dollar" bull and 12 from the other (27 eggs were implanted fresh). Pretty successful flush, but it does not always end up that way.

bigbull338":1sfyhaec said:
ok hold the phone.when your flushing cows for ET calves.you use 2 staws of semen for the same bull.not 2 differant bulls.if you did that then the calves couldnt be reged.best thing to do is buy 1 more straw of semen you bought.an flush the best cow you have.you want #1 quality eggs.not quanty of eggs.always remember that.

???????

My thoughts on flushing multiple cows is getting more viable embyros. Again, I'm under the assumption ( :oops: ) that ET calves need to DNA testing with the Hereford Association, and again I may be wrong.... looks like a phone call to AHA.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan":1zj07mb5 said:
bulldealer":1zj07mb5 said:

bigbull338":1zj07mb5 said:
ok hold the phone.when your flushing cows for ET calves.you use 2 staws of semen for the same bull.not 2 differant bulls.if you did that then the calves couldnt be reged.best thing to do is buy 1 more straw of semen you bought.an flush the best cow you have.you want #1 quality eggs.not quanty of eggs.always remember that.

???????

My thoughts on flushing multiple cows is getting more viable embyros. Again, I'm under the assumption ( :oops: ) that ET calves need to DNA testing with the Hereford Association, and again I may be wrong.... looks like a phone call to AHA.

Thanks,
Alan
allan your right all the resulting ETcalves will have tpbe DNA tested before AHA regs them.bullbuyer what i know about ET work i learned 25yrs ago,an im very much of the old school.i dont go in for all of that splitting staws to breed more than 1 cow.nor am i saying your thoughts on the matter are wrong.

I didn't mean to be an a%@hole. You never know who is on the other end of these message boards. It just ticks me off when you get someone that does not have a clue what they are talking about and just argues for the sake of attention.
Back on the original topic, thank goodness for DNA testing, back when blood tests were the only way to get a parent verification, there were lots of cattle put into herd books(of all breeds) that were not of said origin. That is where most of the breed bashers get their arguments, and they are probably right.

i agree with yout that a phonecall is in order... i heard in canada with the hereford association that you can't do this with the embryos and then dna test afterwards... Not 100% sure... check it out with you association first.

bulldealer":3dq4r5q5 said:
I didn't mean to be an a%@hole. You never know who is on the other end of these message boards. It just ticks me off when you get someone that does not have a clue what they are talking about and just argues for the sake of attention.
Back on the original topic, thank goodness for DNA testing, back when blood tests were the only way to get a parent verification, there were lots of cattle put into herd books(of all breeds) that were not of said origin. That is where most of the breed bashers get their arguments, and they are probably right.
well onr thing about me.i dont get on here an blow off at the mouth about things i know nothing about.but if i know something about said subject.ill put my thoughts into the pot as well.i dont do AI or ET work.but im fairly knowlageable in both subs.ive studied both off an on for 35yrs.

A friend of ours talked about using 3 different bulls for the
3 breedings for a flush....said the donor, sire and calf
had to be DNA matched anyway in order to be registered.
Our system is normally to use two straws at the second
breeding.

Latest posts