Floppy bag(3 pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

Tod Dague

Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of the floppy bagged heifer I mentioned a while back.

8-15-06-floppy-bag-002.jpg

8-15-06-floppy-bag-003.jpg

8-15-06-floppy-bag-004.jpg

I know it would have been better to get the pic before she calved, but I kept forgetting the camera when I'd go check the heifers. Her bag was a little fuller and her teats were about half again as big.

Is her bag bad or am I just being anal?

Just being "anal-lyzing".

Nothing wrong with that cow. She looks like a calf raising machine. ;-)

A heifer, so she's two and this is her first calf? I think she's a potential problem. I doubt you'd get two more calves out of her before you have bag problems.

Interesting. We have 3 cows all from different blood lines that have the same udder problem. All 3 are hugely heavy milkers. They're aged 3, 5 and 11, ugly to look at but boy do they raise dandy calves.

dun

As long as she is maintence free, she poses no problem to me.

If she were mine she would be bred for terminal calves only, no heifers would be retained.
Once the udder became a pendulous nusance, she would become ground beef.

Just my thoughts.

Wow. I bet this cow is a heavy milker. Teat size is okay but wish her udder was better attached. Love her length from hooks to pins and depth of body. Very feminine female, too.

I believe that this cow would have been gone from my place along time ago if I had her. I bet you she will have udder problems on the next calf. That is a shame. Take care. :cboy:

That bag looks more like a cow thats had 5, 6 calves. I don't beleave she will be a long termer.

mnmt

I hate it; but I think Mntman and the other critics are right. I would ride her as long as she would ride and I wouldn't cull her daughters; but I think that udder will eventually fall apart, probably not the next time; but I would be surprised if she makes it past sixth parity.

TD i think i would get as many calfe,s out of her as i could.When her udder falls apart id ship her.

rattler

Thanks for all of the input. I will breed her as with a terminal sire and reevaluate next year as to cull her then or not. She is milking well and I would do best to breed her to one of those pallet heads that Mike has to take full advantage of the milk.

The wife is planning to milk her to see how it taste. :shock: I'll let you know. :p

Tod Dague":4dgaerv2 said:
I know it would have been better to get the pic before she calved, but I kept forgetting the camera when I'd go check the heifers. Her bag was a little fuller and her teats were about half again as big.

Any cow/heifers bag is fuller and her tits are larger pre-calving. I think you're being anal.

msscamp":e4snsafe said:
Tod Dague":e4snsafe said:

Any cow/heifers bag is fuller and her tits are larger pre-calving. I think you're being anal.

me too. maybe even anal retentive.

Watch her very carefully as she may develop Mastitis very easily. When I was a kid we had a Jersey x ?? with an udder like that. She raised TREMENDOUS calves, but was a real management problem because for about a month before she calved she could not walk without stepping on her teats! We had to keep her stalled, and heavy bedding. And, of course, she became spoiled and took advantage of us (ME!). But she could raise two calves and keep three of us in milk and cream so thick you had to spoon it about with a paddle!

DOC HARRIS

Tod Dague":36x02s24 said:
Here are a couple of pics of the floppy bagged heifer I mentioned a while back.

I don't know that her bag is BAD, but it's certainly not a good one. She's a nice cow otherwise, but if it looks like this as a two year old, I doubt it will hold up for many more calves. Is there a Red Angus bull known for improving udders?

Of the bulls that I like Logan is probably the best. This just kind of pop-ed up out of the blue. Her dam has a great udder with lots of milk, high and tight with small teats. I'm hoping it is coming from the sires side, and don't want to risk this sort of thing happening again, so I'm not going to retain anything out of her.

That'd be a poor udder on a 1st lactation HOLSTEIN heifer. I'm sure she milks alright but unless I'm badly mistaken she won't last beyond 3 calves.

We have one like her that's about ten years old. She feeds her baby and any of the others that want in between snacks. Ain't pretty udders but her baby is and so are the snackers, lol!

If she was 10 nobody would be worried. Typically udders get worse over the life of a cow and hers looks like a 10-15 year old cow NOW at only age 3 or 4.