First Truck

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
What would be y'alls suggestions for a new truck. Ford or Dodge only please. NO CHEVYS!!! We were out looking today and there were sure a lot of choices, don't know which one I like the best or least. Hopefully the cipherin comes out with a good one.

4x4 offroad, regular cab, either f-150 or f-250 or similiar make of dodge. No GM models. And I WON'T BUY A JAP MADE VEHICLE. They won't import our beef, I won't buy their vehicles. Automatic is preferable because I have to drive it around town, but I can get used to a stick

F250 with the Powerstroke diesel if you tow heavy loads and keep your vehicles a long time. With a regular cab I'd want an automatic, you would have more interior space without the shifter in the floor

Id go with at least an F250 reg cab 4X4, reg. bed too (lots of shortbeds out there these days, I have one). Get some sort of towing package if buying a brand new truck.
The F150 is a great truck, but doesn't have as many uses on the farm as the 250. Mainly pulling a 20ft. Gooseneck!

Hey Jake, sounds like you're having some fun shopping around for a set of wheels. A few words on something you'll never regret in whichever make of truck you decide to purchase: four wheel drive. I've seen folks that didn't buy pickups with that option, and seems like sooner than later they end up wishing they'd have spent the extra money on it... Just some friendly advice.

Best of luck with your new truck when you find 'er. Send us a picture, k?

Take care.

Id say definately go Ford, whether your buying Light Duty or Heavy Duty. That is, if you mean your getting a brand new truck. These new models Ford has put out are amazing and slash the competition. My dad always has liked Dodge, always hated Ford. Drove a Ford and now we have a 2004 F-150 sittin on the driveway. He wouldnt trade it for anything. Once you go Ford, you never go back.

if you get the ford, stick to the 5.4 if gas. the smaller v8 is under powered and the v10 has no value whatsoever(we use them for work trucks) If you are going with the diesel you can't go wrong with the ford(although I am a chevy guy)

Lots of Dodge haters here I see. On the contrary, I would most certainly recommend a Dodge. I've owned 2 diesels and will probably never buy a gasser again. The power of the Cummins is unbeleivable. I just sold an 01 Quad Cab short bed 4x4 to get a similar 05 model and am equally impressed with this truck as I was the last. I will not downgrade Chevy or Ford as they both have a few good points but I will say this, a friend of mine who has an 05 Crew cab Ford 6.0 Powerstroke will admit to me that his doesn't have the low end grunt that my Cummins does. Both are 6 speeds with the same gear ratio. Just my $.02

ok well I got the truck sittin in the drive way at home, 2 and half hours away right now. It's nothing much but it's brand new and only cost $12,000. Here's the kicker though, It's a 2 wheel drive with limited slip differencial, and a V6.... but beggers can't be choosers and for something that's whole life is either gunna be runnin me around in town or haulin feed buckets/ makin trips into town it'll be just fine. Still wish it was 4x4....