Finally new calves arrived

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
First heifer this year is already quite big girl, 2,5 months old.
2014_03200002.JPG

Two new calves were borned this Monday.
First out of 1/2Limo cow, by AI Charolais bull. Birth weight 100lbs.
2014_03200005.JPG

2014_03200004.JPG

Second out of 1/2 Angus, 1/4 Salers heifer, by AI Angus bull. Birth weight 93lbs.
2014_03200008.JPG

AI Charolais bull:
http://www.naturalgenetics.cz/DOC_SEMEN ... _Offer.pdf

Do you keep your cows inside to calve or let them out during day? What is the weather like at this time of year good looking char calves I am thinking of using a red char bull to ai some semeital heifers this spring.

tamarack":1o0xtc1f said:
Do you keep your cows inside to calve or let them out during day? What is the weather like at this time of year good looking char calves I am thinking of using a red char bull to ai some semeital heifers this spring.
If cow calve when there is snow outside we move her and calf into the barn. Now it's a real spring weather, yesterday was +17C.
I think Charolais and Simmental is very good cross. Good luck with them.

That first heifer has a heck of a hip on her. And this last baby looks like is going to be a great one too. He looks all hip and shoulders. All of the calves look good, and you will have to take more pictures as they grow. The cow with the new baby, you say she is 1/2 dairy; what kind of dairy is she. She carries a lot of body weight. She is a good looking cow. I have seen other calves you have had in the past that were part dairy, and they did not look dairy either.

Chuckie":3k8tzwsy said:
That first heifer has a heck of a hip on her. And this last baby looks like is going to be a great one too. He looks all hip and shoulders. All of the calves look good, and you will have to take more pictures as they grow. The cow with the new baby, you say she is 1/2 dairy; what kind of dairy is she. She carries a lot of body weight. She is a good looking cow. I have seen other calves you have had in the past that were part dairy, and they did not look dairy either.
Thank you all. I'll take some photos later.
That cow probably is from lithuanian red dairy cow. We've bought her as a 3 years old cow. She spent last year without calf, so she gained some weight during summer.

Don't look like much green grass yet but sounds warm. Here today -20c hope it warms can have new calves any time now.Warms up some during day as sun is out from 7in morning to 8at night are the days getting long where you are?

tamarack":1hvqd9hx said:
Don't look like much green grass yet but sounds warm. Here today -20c hope it warms can have new calves any time now.Warms up some during day as sun is out from 7in morning to 8at night are the days getting long where you are?
We'd snow last weekend, so grass just started growing. Yes, days are getting longer here. Sun rises around 5.30a.m. and sets around 7p.m. here.

tamarack":3n7g7a60 said:
Do you feed hay all winter or can they graze stockpiled grass if snow isn't too deep?
They get hay all winter, but when there are little snow left in the fields we let them into field where can graze grass they find.

I raise purebred shorthorn cattle in Canada are there many of this breed in your country? Sorry for all questions I just like to hear from other parts of the world are you very far from the unrest in Russia. Thanks

tamarack":1jpdki90 said:
I raise purebred shorthorn cattle in Canada are there many of this breed in your country? Sorry for all questions I just like to hear from other parts of the world are you very far from the unrest in Russia. Thanks
Not very much, a few herds in the whole country. But my country is much smaller than yours. :D
It's okay, I usually give lots of questions for other people too. It's very intersting to talk with other farmers from other countries.
The unrest in Russia haven't had influence for us yet and I hope it won't.

Sold some cattle today bull calf 660lb brought $1180.00 Canadian dollars 890lb Heifer $1150 what do you get for your cattle? I sold at a local Auction barn from there they will go to a feedlot somewhere in Alberta. How do you market your cattle

tamarack":2a2alawp said:
Sold some cattle today bull calf 660lb brought $1180.00 Canadian dollars 890lb Heifer $1150 what do you get for your cattle? I sold at a local Auction barn from there they will go to a feedlot somewhere in Alberta. How do you market your cattle
Our calves are usually spring borned, so we fatten bulls until next autumn. We sell them straight to the meat factory. Here cattle can be sold by live weight or by kill-out. We our bulls sell just for kill-out, we get more than by live weight. Cattle are graded by European carcass clasification: SEUROP grades of muscularity and 1-5 fatness grades. S- the most muscular, 1- the leanest carcass. You get the best price for 3 fatness grade and the higher muscularity grade is the more money you'll get. That's why we are increasing our cattle muscularity and growth.
Prices are always changing, last autumn for U3 grade you were able to get $4.7 Canadian dollars for 1kilo carcass. U grade would be around 59-63% killl-out( +-1-2%).

If I did my math right you would get close to what we get here a butcher steer would dress between 320kg and 370kg x $4.70. Do you feed much grain to finish them? Should start calving in a week I will send some pics of this place then.

tamarack":2r8v4uhw said:
If I did my math right you would get close to what we get here a butcher steer would dress between 320kg and 370kg x $4.70. Do you feed much grain to finish them? Should start calving in a week I will send some pics of this place then.
We give for bulls ~3kg triticale every day for each. I don't think it's very much. As yearling they usually weigh ~500kg, at 18 months ~650kg. We don't have any steers, all are bulls.
It'll be very nice to see pics. I wait for one more Char calf after two weeks, this time out of BBx cow. I'd like it'd be a heifer. We'll ahve one more Angus calf and after them will arrive first calves by our Limo bull. It's going to be interesting to see what he can produce. I hope for some U grade calves.

Latest posts