Few bales short of a load

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I know I cant be the only one who is coming up short on the amount of hay they need for the winter. I was wondering what strategies some of you are going to use?

denoginnizer":1m853l68 said:
I know I cant be the only one who is coming up short on the amount of hay they need for the winter. I was wondering what strategies some of you are going to use?

Last year when I was short on hay I adjusted my cow herd to fit my hay stack. I sold off all of the heifers I was planning to keep and sold all open cows. Reason for selling the heifers. You would be looking at least 17 months until you had a return on your investment. If I run out of hay I will sell the cows and wait for better times. Jack

denoginnizer":voa8xxao said:

If you will type hay winter in the Google search box at the bottom of our Front Page there are several articles in our Archive that have some good suggestions.

there are a few things you can do if your short of hay.feed from a sack an cut your hay useage.im feeding what they call hay extender to the cows every other day.along with feeding a bale of hay every 3 or 4 days.right now it takes them 2 days to eat a roll.an what rain we do get wich isnt much keeps them nibbling in the pastures.ive put the pencel to it an i can feed from a sack cheaper than buying all hay.an when i run out of hay buy as little hay as possable.an keep the big calves weaned off the cows.that will save alot of hay when your not feeding alot of big calves.

bigbull338":3lm4wlbm said:
there are a few things you can do if your short of hay.feed from a sack an cut your hay useage.im feeding what they call hay extender to the cows every other day.along with feeding a bale of hay every 3 or 4 days.right now it takes them 2 days to eat a roll.an what rain we do get wich isnt much keeps them nibbling in the pastures.ive put the pencel to it an i can feed from a sack cheaper than buying all hay.an when i run out of hay buy as little hay as possable.an keep the big calves weaned off the cows.that will save alot of hay when your not feeding alot of big calves.
What is hay extender?

its a powder type feed that our local co op is making.i know its 13% protine.its supposed to take the place of hay to an extent.i know it has some corn in it.this is going tobe rough winter got todo the best we can with what we have.

denoginnizer":10f7lzx7 said:

Might try CLS will help stretch your hay.

denoginnizer":21q5cbi7 said:

We realized we were going to be way short in June, bought hay early, plus downsized animals, sold a batch of holstein heifers, and some dud cows. can't afford to feed any animals extra.

GMN

I'm alittle short this year so I'm going to feed some distillers grain.

Deno,

You should be far enough south to be able to plant ryegrass. That can really help you in late winter (February) when hay is running out.

There is a feed place close to me that sells 12-18% protein feed for cattle at $80 per ton, sold in "super sacks". If one had the equipment, this would be a relatively cheap way.

I figured ryegrass seed for 20 acres $400; fertilizer one time after a stand $400. If you took the same $800 you could buy 20,000 lbs of feed. I would have to drive an hour roundtrip with trailer to get feed, so add in that cost as well. Still doesn't seem too expensive if all else fails.

We are going to drill in some wheat, try and seed some rye in areas. Buying corn stalk bales and going to put some lick tubs out. I think we all are thinking of the worst case senerio. I think we have enough hay to make it, but if this winter is a wammy ...well who knows..

I was reading an article about limiting intake and they were doing alright at .75-1% of body weight. You just doubled your hay if your were feeding at 2%

Latest posts