Storing round bales

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogfarmer10

Reaction score
Just curious. I see people storing round bales (either in a shed, barn, or under tarp) by stacking either some or all on their ends. Is there an advantage to stacking, even just the bottom layer, on the ends or is it just personal preference?

In the barn I like to stack 5 on the end than 5 on the side than 4 on side on top . Gives 14 to the run instead of 13 . Also the strings never touch the ground

With the bottom row flipped on end, it allows you to stack two more bales per row and use the space more effectively. In our barn, I usually flip the bottom 7, set 7 on top of those, and then 6 on top. If you were stacking them without flipping, it would be 7 on the bottom, 6 middle, and 5 on top.

It really only works well on bales that are pretty square, about as tall as they are wide. You wouldn't be able to do it with 6x4s, too much space between the rows and they would shift and lean over. I have that problem with our 5x4s at times.

If you have pallet forks, you could stack 3 rows on end, but I can't imagine getting them back down would be all that easy.

I stack the bottom and second row on end. Then the top one normally. My barn only allows 3 high.
Also there is no pressure on the side of the barn that way.
As already said no strings touch the ground.

Gotcha. I hadn't thought about strings touching the ground. I rarely worry about strings since I went to plastic twine. I understand about being limited on how high you can go. Mine are 5'x6' and 3 high is all I can reach. I also agree about them losing their shape, but I guess that really only affects selling hay.

Gotcha. I hadn't thought about strings touching the ground. I rarely worry about strings since I went to plastic twine. I understand about being limited on how high you can go. Mine are 5'x6' and 3 high is all I can reach. I also agree about them losing their shape, but I guess that really only affects selling hay.
Affects the way they roll out too, to some extent....

Gotcha. I hadn't thought about strings touching the ground. I rarely worry about strings since I went to plastic twine.
Twine or netwrap can freeze to the ground in winter. Lifting a frozen-down bale in the winter can break the netwrap or twines, making a mess. Not an issue if the bale is sitting on end.

My cows go after a bake from the ends so I look at it differently. Plus I use a hay spear to put my rolls in the barn . I can stack 3 high and usually get 3 rows of 8 . At worse , 2 rows of 8 and one of 7 . I use net wrap and I will lose a little on the bottom row touching the ground but it would be the same if I stacked it on the ends . 4x5 rolls

Latest posts