Best baler for 4x5 bales?

Help Support CattleToday:

I get 50 bales at 23.80, so .47 per bale. I didn't realize you got that many wraps from a roll.
Thank you. I had it in my head that the plastic 20k I used to use was around $20/roll, but couldn't remember how many rolls I got out of the bundle.

Thank you. I had it in my head that the plastic 20k I used to use was around $20/roll, but couldn't remember how many rolls I got out of the bundle.
I can stretch it some, on the stemmy stuff that we don't have to transport.

I can stretch it some, on the stemmy stuff that we don't have to transport.
Gotcha. My biggest complaint with plastic strings were the tails that my old baler left on them - they'd get wrapped around the front wheel seals on the 4wd tractor and under the axles on the feed truck.

I put right at 3 wraps of net on my bales because the majority are stored outside, but I've heard you can go as low as 1-1/2 wraps if you store it inside and don't handle it much. That would drive the cost of net down further if one cared to.

There's good points and bad to everything, just don't be afraid of the cost of the net if you haven't used it.

McHale makes the best baler on the market IMHO but not everyone has a dealer close enough to them to make it an option and price becomes a big issue with them. They are not cheap but they have farmers in Ireland running some McHales with over 100,000 bales on them. But again if you aren't making to resale I cannot figure out how anyone can pencil some of these high end balers, they are not cheap anymore.

Gotcha. My biggest complaint with plastic strings were the tails that my old baler left on them - they'd get wrapped around the front wheel seals on the 4wd tractor and under the axles on the feed truck.

I put right at 3 wraps of net on my bales because the majority are stored outside, but I've heard you can go as low as 1-1/2 wraps if you store it inside and don't handle it much. That would drive the cost of net down further if one cared to.

There's good points and bad to everything, just don't be afraid of the cost of the net if you haven't used it.
I think the net is better, all around , and If I were to buy a baler, it would have both capabilities. But, I'll struggle along with 2 used hard balers that I have a total of 3500 in for as long as I can stand it. When you run junk, you better have a backup. This , conversation is a little funny to me, between me and you. The wife is leaving to go to europe at the end of the month, and I teased her about having a new baler when she got back! But , alas I got a smokin deal on a hay trailer yesterday, so I'm gonna have to keep workin on them[the balers] I guess

I think the net is better, all around , and If I were to buy a baler, it would have both capabilities. But, I'll struggle along with 2 used hard balers that I have a total of 3500 in for as long as I can stand it. When you run junk, you better have a backup. This , conversation is a little funny to me, between me and you. The wife is leaving to go to europe at the end of the month, and I teased her about having a new baler when she got back! But , alas I got a smokin deal on a hay trailer yesterday, so I'm gonna have to keep workin on them[the balers] I guess
A buddy of mine has either 4 or 5 old Vermeer, MF and Gehl balers - seriously doubt he paid over $500 for any of them. He's a big time operator! :ROFLMAO:

There's a place in Oklahoma that usually has quite a few balers on Auctiontime, Armitage Equipment. Might be somewhere to keep an eye out for in the offseason.

A buddy of mine has either 4 or 5 old Vermeer, MF and Gehl balers - seriously doubt he paid over $500 for any of them. He's a big time operator! :ROFLMAO:

There's a place in Oklahoma that usually has quite a few balers on Auctiontime, Armitage Equipment. Might be somewhere to keep an eye out for in the offseason.
My wife calls me tight, I prefer thrifty.

Latest posts