Fescue foot or Footrot..or possible trama?

Help Support CattleToday:

mnbryant2001

Reaction score
9 year old Charolais bull with a history of minor limps. Pasture full of fescue. I've been feeding Cargil mineral with ctc the last 2 months. Not sure he eats it though. No rough coat. Arched back. He is in severe pain at this point. It's developed since Monday night. No other cattle have this issue. I moved him to a paddock alone with a taller stand of summer grass and feed him sweet feed till I can get more corn to supplement. I can't get him off fescue. I took these over from dad nearly 3 years ago. So diagnosing this is new to me. Though the photo isn't the best you can see the severe swelling above the hoof. Also his left hoof is separated from the skin at the rear as you can see in the photo. No other signs on the front of the hoof. Though I couldn't get a photo the center of his hoof looked ok when he lifted it. As footrot would show signs there. What you see are the only symtoms. This is his left rear foot.
IMG_1964.JPG

Looks like you need to get him to a vet with a tilt table to see if they can save the hoof. (If this is a valuable bull.)

Was taking him to the sale saturday. Figures. At 9 it time for slaughter unless someone else wants to give him a few years. I have an Angus I purchased to replace him. If he passes a sound test. Which was also going to occur Saturday before selling this one. Just in case. If I can load him he will go Saturday.

mnbryant2001":2ohuh6j1 said:
Was taking him to the sale saturday. Figures. At 9 it time for slaughter unless someone else wants to give him a few years. I have an Angus I purchased to replace him. If he passes a sound test. Which was also going to occur Saturday before selling this one. Just in case. If I can load him he will go Saturday.
Do you think he can walk well enough that they will take him?
I give LA 300 for foot rot X 2 doses. They get sound pretty fast, if that's what it is. But with the "separation of the hoof", I am afraid that you have a bigger problem.
Do you like hamburger?

I did some quick research on "Fescue Toxicosis." I am not even sure that you can harvest the meat.........What kind of damage does it do with the lack of blood flow and necrosis???
Hopefully there are some folks on here that have seen it before. It does state that "Fescue Foot" is seen in cold weather as opposed to the "Summer Toxicosis" which affects them differently.
Let us know what the vet says......or sale barn.

Yes the symptoms don't fit either of the 2 well. I had concerns with his occasional limping. One day a bit then gone for weeks, that he would do this before I could sell him. Dad had foot problems with the last two charolais he had. Both registered bulls. This one is still hot. 15 out of 16 calved this year. Anyway if he doesn't show improvement quick I will have to resort to putting him down. He isn't far from the loading pen. but it takes several seconds to move all 4. Loading him in the pasture is the only choice. Not sure he will. Or can make the step up in the trailor. It was nearly dark before I found him.He is still grazing but for how long. I added mineral wit ctc to the feed I gave him. I know it isn't a shot but it's better than nothing. Plus I work full time. Then the vet in the area is only at the office from 6:00 am till 8:00 am.The rest of his day is working big operations in the area. So attempting to load him tomorrow night and talking the boss into coming in late is my soonest option. And the sale barn is doubtful. He is to slow.

Some symptoms of fescue poisoning include tenderness in the rear legs when they get up. The analogy used is it is like when your feet fall asleep, and you try to walk. It tingles and hurts. It progresses to sloughing off the actual foot. How long have you had this bull and has he been on fescue his entire life? I would venture to say it is not fescue, and your last resort should be to put him down. I would try a heavy dose of LA 200 first. If it is foot rot, it will clear up in 48 hours. If it does not get better, then put him down. He might have just injured his leg in that area and you are seeing trauma to the localized tissues because of it. A clearer picture would be easier to detect... But good luck either way...

I should have been clearer. Putting him down is last resort. Looking tonight I am wondering if the toe separation on the back is old damage I haven't noticed.no drainage or evidence of a fresh wound. I'm leaning toward foot rot now. From the front the toes are separating from the swelling.tried to get him in the trailer tonight with panels. No dice. The leg is to sore. He is no worse though. Fees him a big dose of ctc again. Hopefully it will help.next I'll put the cows with him and feed then in the corral. Maybe he can make the walk. This is where a daytime job sucks.

Fire sweep ranch
Dad bought him at 18 months old. So yes basically on fescue all his life.
After looking back at records if was this time last year he had a similar issue. Swelling on the right front foot. But mostly over it by the next day when I could get him up.he recovered fine.

I may be mistaken, but I do not think the "ctc" will help him.
He needs a big dose of LA 300 then a repeat in 72 hrs. if it is "foot rot."
Can you put panels around him, to press together to make an alley for some shots of antibiotic?

Ctc may not. Just the best I can do. I thought of an alley like that tonight. After the fact. Need to get some chain though. A I have to tie it with is barbed wire. His neck works fine for sure. But if I chained it to the trailor and V shaped the panels and tied them it might work. Along with driving metal post for something extra. Ctc is an antibiotic. It helps prevent it. Not strong enough to curt it. But it might buy me some time.

Please be aware of - and follow - any recommended slaughter withdrawal times for any drugs (OTC, CTC, etc.) that you may have or may be considering administering to this animal.

Now to finish the update. Oral and powder antibiotics are also approved for foot rot. Watered him in a bucket of it this morning. Glad I found that out. Ill go from here. My first issue like this since I've had them. I'll have to come up with ideas to tend to this in the future.some way to give shots in the pasture.

mnbryant2001":1zbip241 said:
Now to finish the update. Oral and powder antibiotics are also approved for foot rot. Watered him in a bucket of it this morning. Glad I found that out. Ill go from here. My first issue like this since I've had them. I'll have to come up with ideas to tend to this in the future.some way to give shots in the pasture.
With no facilitys availble that's where halter breaking as calves comes in handy

mnbryant2001":2xw7xbvz said:
Yes, but I have never had any luck with them. A large steady blood level is quite difficult to achieve.
However, I hope it works well for you.
Let us know how he does.

He's much better today. Swelling is almost gone. Still a little bit of limp. Hopefully Saturday I can get him gone. Even with the list weight. Originally I was taking his papers and guaranteeing he could pass a soundness test if it was done in 30 days. There use send him to slaughter. Now I make just go for slaughter.

Latest posts