Ferry Carpenter Herefords

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Mill Creek Farms bought a King Ten son about two years ago (think his number ends in 595) that goes back to almost straight Ferry Carpenter breeding.

Herefords.US knows more about the bull and Ferry Carpenter bred genetics than I do, try and get in touch with him, he might be able to point you to other breeders using his genetics, but if I understood it correctly there isn't a lot of FC genetics still out there.

I believe Gene Weise and Sons of Iowa are also using King Ten genetics as well. I think they had some King Ten sons at the National Western Stock Show this year.

What are you looking for?

Best,

aubracusa
http://www.aubracusa.com

For those of you who never knew Ferry Carpenter, he was probably one of the more interesting and influential people in the cattle business of the last 100 years. Born in the eastern United States, he attended Princeton University under Woodrow Wilson, who was president of the university at the time. He came west as a young man, got to know Charles Dawson, the famed Texas cowman, then bought a ranch near Hayden, Colo., where he also served as a prominent lawyer. He served FDR and authored the Taylor Grazing Act, which still governs grazing on public lands across the West today.

Ferry was an early pioneer in the performance-testing movement, and helped found the Beef Improvement Federation in the 1960s. His Hereford breeding program became one of the most prominent in the world, known for quality cattle and production of prominent AI bulls, including the great King Ten. My family bought bulls from him for many years.

Ferry passed away in the early 1980s, but I would encourage anyone -- especially the younger generation in our business -- to read up on him. His life was a true inspiration. One of his books, Confessions of a Maverick, is one of the most interesting reads I've ever read. Lots of great information about ranching in the early 20th Century.

His ranch, the Carpenter Ranch, is now owned and managed by The Nature Conservancy. The group, which is the largest conservation organization in the world, continues to run cattle on the ranch, although now they are mostly South Devons. They bought the ranch to help protect the cottonwood forest along the Yampa River, and to ensure the land never gets developed. The ranch itself lies just west of Steamboat Springs, Colo., a top destination resort for tourists around the world.

Best,

aubracusa

Here is a link to a couple of books about Ferry, including Confessions of a Maverick.

http://www.offthebeatenpath.booksense.c ... age=260707

Confessions is a wonderful read through the first 2/3rds of the book, but it seems to trail off at the end. It may have been a reflection of Ferry getting older and losing interest in completing the work.

In any event, it's a great book about one of the more colorful characters in the history of the cattle business.

I am glad to see the continued interest in FRC genetics. Ferry's fall bull sale -- the first Saturday in October -- was always a big event in Colorado. When the family dispersed the herd in the early 1980s following his death, it was a sad day for those who knew him and benefited from his breeding program.

Best,

aubracusa

sooknortex":9hc01af8 said:
Here are some pictures:

Ferry at his dispersal sale:
ferry-carpenter.jpg

One of his bulls on his ranch (FRC Sir 1):
frc-sir-1.jpg

A son of FRC Sir 1 (CR Master Dom 6040):

cr-master-dom-6040.jpg

Is there a way to get those photos bigger?

KNERSIE":3uwhk46m said:
sooknortex":3uwhk46m said:
Here are some pictures:

ferry-carpenter.jpg

frc-sir-1.jpg

cr-master-dom-6040.jpg

type in RELL RANCH cove land and cattle.. all these photos are there

ALACOWMAN":2zfsp1hi said:
KNERSIE":2zfsp1hi said:
sooknortex":2zfsp1hi said:
Here are some pictures:

ferry-carpenter.jpg

frc-sir-1.jpg

cr-master-dom-6040.jpg

type in RELL RANCH cove land and cattle.. all these photos are there

Thanks

Latest posts