feral hogs in Kansas?

Help Support CattleToday:

If they arrest someone for transporting hogs to a game preserve, I want on that jury.

If they arrest someone for ridding us of hogs, I want on that jury for the opposite reason. By the way, I have many pictures of personal property destruction that I would gladly loan anyone.

A person who turns loose of a feral hog may as well put a gun to my head and take money from my wallet. There is no difference.

No net fence will hold them. They will get over 7 foot panels if there is no top. That is the reason there are regulations for holding facilities. I do indeed support the regulations. I would like to see them strengthened to require tops on the pens. Presently they are required to be contained in double walled pens.

As far as the original post goes, if a neighbor calls me and tells me he is allowing responsible hunters to go onto the property to hunt hogs, they are welcome to go through the adjoining gates and enter my property to retrieve dogs, kill hogs, whatever. The neighbors know I don't want idiots driving through the middle of the fields and they wouldn't let such folks on their places to begin with. We have mutual agreements on a couple of good kids who dog hunt occasionally. If I don't know someone and they call asking to hunt, how can I vouch for them to neighbors as responsible people?

Right now the hog population has been curbed. Most of you can remember last August when I trapped 41 in less than a week's time. We all know it is just a matter of time before they come back. But for now, I am not having problems and I want to stay on top of it.

There are folks in this forum who have given me prescriptions to aid in erradicating the hogs and these are not technically poisons. I appreciate everyone's help. Again, this is a very serious issue.

backhoeboogie":jq2qx7g1 said:
If they arrest someone for transporting hogs to a game preserve, I want on that jury.

If they arrest someone for ridding us of hogs, I want on that jury for the opposite reason. By the way, I have many pictures of personal property destruction that I would gladly loan anyone.

A person who turns loose of a feral hog may as well put a gun to my head and take money from my wallet. There is no difference.

No net fence will hold them. They will get over 7 foot panels if there is no top. That is the reason there are regulations for holding facilities. I do indeed support the regulations. I would like to see them strengthened to require tops on the pens. Presently they are required to be contained in double walled pens.

As far as the original post goes, if a neighbor calls me and tells me he is allowing responsible hunters to go onto the property to hunt hogs, they are welcome to go through the adjoining gates and enter my property to retrieve dogs, kill hogs, whatever. The neighbors know I don't want idiots driving through the middle of the fields and they wouldn't let such folks on their places to begin with. We have mutual agreements on a couple of good kids who dog hunt occasionally. If I don't know someone and they call asking to hunt, how can I vouch for them to neighbors as responsible people?

Right now the hog population has been curbed. Most of you can remember last August when I trapped 41 in less than a week's time. We all know it is just a matter of time before they come back. But for now, I am not having problems and I want to stay on top of it.

There are folks in this forum who have given me prescriptions to aid in erradicating the hogs and these are not technically poisons. I appreciate everyone's help. Again, this is a very serious issue.

Boogie I have a batch made up right now seen where a sow and pigs had came down the creek in the back pasture.
The only good hog is a dead hog. Hog hunters are some of the most irresponsible of all hunters in not controlling dogs. There have been several dogs that have went to the hog hunt in the sky for baying cows. They run hogs through the fences, don't know what a gate is as they will climb every fence they come to versus going under it like a goat. I used to think the lazy deer hunters were the worst with there four wheelers.
Bird hunters and Coon hunters seem to be some of the best.

backhoeboogie":1p9r8lrv said:

There are legal means to take an animal listed. If it is not one of the ways listed it is illegal. With that being said... I do not blame you for doing it. BUT if for get a new GW or another GW in your area make sure they are cool with it also because the fines are alot. You can get to $30k in a hurry because it is X amount per animal. :shock:

Hogs are a big problem... and getting worse... and all the government can do is impose more restrictions so they can figure out how to make more money.

All those vegetarian anti-s are going to be in a bind when the hogs eat all the vegies and grains farmers grow.

I dont know what happening in Texas, but seems like you all need ot get yoru Government back pretty quick. When did you let the metro-sexual PETA lovers take over the Lone Star state.

If this keeps up we might just really have to build a fence along the red.

Burno,

I'm copying your comment:

"Hog hunters are some of the most irresponsible of all hunters in not controlling dogs. There have been several dogs that have went to the hog hunt in the sky for baying cows. They run hogs through the fences, don't know what a gate is as they will climb every fence they come to versus going under it like a goat. I used to think the lazy deer hunters were the worst with there four wheelers."

I have a question to ask along those lines. I know that some dogs will bay cows...espically if they come from cow hunting bloodlines but it can be easily remedied on the spot without shooting the said dog. I would use a whip or a bb pellet on the butt...or an electric collar. Also you mean hunters not controlling their dogs as in chasing cows or chasing hogs? If you hunt hogs with dogs, you would expect the dog to stop the hogs no matter what the cost is. Sometimes hogs will run thru the fence no matter what you or the dog will do because it's the easiest way for a hog to escape..sometimes it's the rancher that hasn't put up a good fence...it was good enough to hold back cows but not hogs. I've seen that more than once. Most dogs that I've had would go under a fence...I had one that tried to jump a fence and got his privates caught on it when he was a pup..you should've heard the hollering then! :lol: he never jumped or climbed a fence..I don't see what's wrong with a dog climbing a fence unless you meant a hog?

Keep in mind, coon hunters' dogs sometimes DO run cattle...but just that coon hunters are more particular about what critter their dogs run. If you don't want dogs to run deer then raise them right next to a goat pen. Their smell is somewhat similiar to a deer's then they become acclimated to it and do not think anything of it if they run across a deer track. Just don't allow them to work the goats and you'll be better off. Goat meat sells for quite a few bucks around here nowdays.

It is all about what kind of handle you have on you dogs. I can run every dog I own right through cows, past deer, skunks or what ever else... pitts and all and they won't mess with them.

As for the hogs tearing up fences when the run out. We (hog hunters) can't control that. Would you rather re-stretch some fence or let the hogs stay in your field? You have to think about that before you let the hog hunters on your place.

The really big hogs will get in with the cattle some times and travel with them. I had a land owner with me one time and my oldest curr dog wentoff in some cattle and bayed up. He looked at me and started cursing because I had told him my dogs don't trash like that. (That is the reason he was riding with me... I was showing him.) Anyways, about that time and hog 300+lbs came running out and my curr was on its heels. He quickly appalogized... ;-)

TedH71":335au19f said:
Burno,

I'm copying your comment:

"Hog hunters are some of the most irresponsible of all hunters in not controlling dogs. There have been several dogs that have went to the hog hunt in the sky for baying cows. They run hogs through the fences, don't know what a gate is as they will climb every fence they come to versus going under it like a goat. I used to think the lazy deer hunters were the worst with there four wheelers."

I have a question to ask along those lines. I know that some dogs will bay cows...espically if they come from cow hunting bloodlines but it can be easily remedied on the spot without shooting the said dog. I would use a whip or a bb pellet on the butt...or an electric collar. Also you mean hunters not controlling their dogs as in chasing cows or chasing hogs? If you hunt hogs with dogs, you would expect the dog to stop the hogs no matter what the cost is. Sometimes hogs will run thru the fence no matter what you or the dog will do because it's the easiest way for a hog to escape..sometimes it's the rancher that hasn't put up a good fence...it was good enough to hold back cows but not hogs. I've seen that more than once. Most dogs that I've had would go under a fence...I had one that tried to jump a fence and got his privates caught on it when he was a pup..you should've heard the hollering then! :lol: he never jumped or climbed a fence..I don't see what's wrong with a dog climbing a fence unless you meant a hog?

Keep in mind, coon hunters' dogs sometimes DO run cattle...but just that coon hunters are more particular about what critter their dogs run. If you don't want dogs to run deer then raise them right next to a goat pen. Their smell is somewhat similiar to a deer's then they become acclimated to it and do not think anything of it if they run across a deer track. Just don't allow them to work the goats and you'll be better off. Goat meat sells for quite a few bucks around here nowdays.

I have dog hunted all my life and still do a dog that bays or runs cows will not be tolerated period. Any dog found harassing cattle is Black Flag Dead your's, mine or who evers.

Caustic Burno":1upnzpek said:
I have dog hunted all my life and still do a dog that bays or runs cows will not be tolerated period. Any dog found harassing cattle is Black Flag Dead your's, mine or who evers.

The land owners will kick you off their place if they find out you dog messed with a cow or deer. No questions asked.

I break my pups off trash before I even work them on hogs.

That is what is funy about TXBoars. Alot of those people think that it is ok if their strike dogs bump cows, skunks, or deer every now and then as long as they find hogs also. :x Then in the next post they will be asking if they can come hunt with you. :shock:

Brute 23":kt9c7qs1 said:
That is what is funy about TXBoars. Alot of those people think that it is ok if their strike dogs bump cows, skunks, or deer every now and then as long as they find hogs also. :x Then in the next post they will be asking if they can come hunt with you. :shock:

Most of the posters in TexasBoars don't know the difference between sheep panel, cow panel, and untility panel. They all advocate figure 6 (or figure 9) traps without tops. All those folks are doing is making hogs trap smart. Most are weekend warriers. If they only knew. Sure they catch the young-uns. The young ones are the ones doing the most damage to pastures. They just follow the big guys around. Those big boys can bound right over 6 foot fence.

backhoeboogie":1jnzagw5 said:
Brute 23":1jnzagw5 said:

Most of the posters in TexasBoars don't know the difference between sheep panel, cow panel, and untility panel. They all advocate figure 6 (or figure 9) traps without tops. All those folks are doing is making hogs trap smart. Most are weekend warriers. If they only knew. Sure they catch the young-uns. The young ones are the ones doing the most damage to pastures. They just follow the big guys around. Those big boys can bound right over 6 foot fence.

:nod: Yep, thats if they don't just break the pannel.:lol2:

Brute,

I hope you and TedH71 harvest alot of feral hogs. The best thing that could happen is that we are rid of them from the entire US of A. Just don't do more harm than good :lol:

Wish I could. I'm stuck in KS. Am doing research on how to get that special permit. I suspect the Livestock Commissoner would give it only to landowners experiencing the damage that the hogs can cause.

Latest posts