feral hogs in Kansas?

Help Support CattleToday:

TedH71

Reaction score
I moved from Texas to Kansas and was hoping to start hunting them with my dogs...only to find out that you have to have a special permit from the Kansas Livestock Comissioner and he would rather you be the landowner having the problems with feral hogs otherwise you also have to have written permission from the landowner that you're working with to get rid of the hogs. Stupidest method of getting hogs, IMHO. I'm willing to volunteer my services on hog removal. At this time, I'm down to one dog who is now semi-retired from hog hunting due to getting hit by a car a year ago breaking his leg completely in 4 places so he is very much slower now. I would rather do trapping (not a cure all but gets the babies and the mothers)...dogs are best for hogs that are trap smart and very aggressive. Usually that means the male hogs. 20 counties in KS now have feral hogs. IF you need help or advise, please email me at: [email protected]. I live in Wichita, KS. Thanks in advance.

Ted

You know, having restrictions on hogs is what is going to ruin that state. In about a couple years, they're gonna say "oh shoot we should have let people shoot em." Thats just plain stupid. They oughta come down here and maybe they'll realize what they have in store.

Yep they will be regretting it later. I need to take some pics of the corn fields down here that I hunt. They are tore up from the floor up. You can send them to the people in Kansas and tell them to just wait... :shock:

I hunted one small field that is about 200 acres and ran 40+ hogs out every night, at the same time, three nights in a row.

Here is a little video that was posted on my hunting forum about hogs.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...43&start=10&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4 [/url]

I personally know Krystal and Doug. Was invited to go hunt with them but was working on weekends so couldn't make it then I moved to KS. I've been invited to hunt my dogs in Oklahoma. I might take them up on that.

Forgot to add that I've been hearing that there are people that hunt them illegally in KS..problem is that now the government (state of KS) is starting to send in agents who pretend to be hunters so that they will bust those illegal hunters who are simply doing what the farmers/ranchers want them to do. Now that is making me leery of wanting to help people who need it done.

TedH71":1wq83ycd said:
Forgot to add that I've been hearing that there are people that hunt them illegally in KS..problem is that now the government (state of KS) is starting to send in agents who pretend to be hunters so that they will bust those illegal hunters who are simply doing what the farmers/ranchers want them to do. Now that is making me leery of wanting to help people who need it done.

That is crazy. If they tried that BS down here with these farmers and ranchers would put up a hell of fight.

Down here the land owners still run things. These big ranches have alot of pull and if they don't get what they want they take matters into their own hands.

TedH71":6aegvfgu said:
you also have to have written permission from the landowner that you're working with
Ted

Personally, I don't see a problem with this. I like to know who is on my property and what they are doing. Now the special permit business just sounds like another tax.IMO

Jogeephus":2euwo7e7 said:
Personally, I don't see a problem with this. I like to know who is on my property and what they are doing. Now the special permit business just sounds like another tax.IMO

It sounds like there they require written permission from a land owner to get the permit to hunt. As opposed to here in Texas you just need permission, nothing necessarily in writing, from the land owner and no permit.

Brute 23":4c2jaise said:
Jogeephus":4c2jaise said:

It sounds like there they require written permission from a land owner to get the permit to hunt. As opposed to here in Texas you just need permission, nothing necessarily in writing, from the land owner and no permit.

Thanks for the clarification. If that's the case, sounds like a messed up law to me with an anti-hunting agenda.

Jogeephus":342hqxwc said:
Brute 23":342hqxwc said:
Jogeephus":342hqxwc said:

Thanks for the clarification. If that's the case, sounds like a messed up law to me with an anti-hunting agenda.

:nod:

We have about posioned them out here, you can't hunt or trap them out you would have to take 80 out of ever 100 a year to maintain a steady population of a 100. We see hog sign we bait it. Tired of looking at hay fields and pastures that look like they have been carpet bombed by B-52's. Not to mention the fences they tear up.

Caustic Burno":3czko8nt said:
We have about posioned them out here, you can't hunt or trap them out you would have to take 80 out of ever 100 a year to maintain a steady population of a 100. We see hog sign we bait it. Tired of looking at hay fields and pastures that look like they have been carpet bombed by B-52's. Not to mention the fences they tear up.

Be careful who you tell that to... its not exactly legal... not in Texas atleast. Not sure where you are. :D

Brute 23":qswtupan said:
Caustic Burno":qswtupan said:

Be careful who you tell that to... its not exactly legal... not in Texas atleast. Not sure where you are. :D

Is not illegal to bait feral hogs on your property. One of the control methods listed by the state along with dogs, hunting, trapping and Judas pigs. Also much safer than putting out M44's for coyotes.

They'll outbreed whatever poison you put out there or they will become immune to it...either way, they're here to stay.

TedH71":2rnptos1 said:
They'll outbreed whatever poison you put out there or they will become immune to it...either way, they're here to stay.

Oh you can wipe them out and we did for thirty years.
You won't with todays society as today people get there bacon from the store.

Caustic Burno":2olqm1rk said:
Brute 23":2olqm1rk said:
Caustic Burno":2olqm1rk said:

Is not illegal to bait feral hogs on your property. One of the control methods listed by the state along with dogs, hunting, trapping and Judas pigs. Also much safer than putting out M44's for coyotes.

It is illegal to poison hogs. In that article that GW talking about feeding them crushed up clay pigeons... that is illegal too.

In Texas right now you have to have a hunting licence to kill hogs... even with dogs.

It is illegal to transport hogs except to a licensed facility or to slaughter

Non sure if this bill has passed yet or if it is about too BUT it will say... Hogs are no longer non-game animal. They are considered an exotic.

Transporting hogs? Well, tell that to the average hog hunter. They sell their hogs otherwise they see no need to keep a hog that eats alot. They tend to sell the big boars for big money.