Fencing Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I have a big problem with my neighbor.( neighbor#1) We bought our property in Alabama. At that time there was no fence seperateing the neighbors property from mine. Eighteen months later we returned to Alabama to build our new home. The neighbor has built a second home on his property for his Mother, and a new pond aswell. Their property is on a slope. They dug down the slope and used the durt to build her pond walls. They also took durt from my property. Then they put up a barb wire fence. The problem is they left a rut a two hundred feet long and fifty feet wide on my property caused by removing my durt. The fence goes across the toe of her pond, which is on my property. I asked them about it and the Mother told me to go to hell. Their pond leaks and creates a wet spot that grows a forrest of saplings and weeds which I have to bush hog. I complained to soil conservation and after six months they sent the local inspector out. His conclusion was that when he was a poor hungry child she took him in and fed him. Therefor he could not cause her any trouble. He said "It just would'nt be right". THERE IS MORE. There was another fence that intersected between her, me and neighbor (#2) The fence was barb wire. I have two horses that are retired. I do not like barb wire. I asked the other neighbor if he would be willing to let me replace the barb wire with field fence if there was no cost to him. He agreed. My hired man changed the fence. The neighbor man and I were happy but neighbor #2 (the woman) was not. She claimed that the post next to the property line marker was hers and I could not hook wire onto it. Rather than fighting with her I paid the fence co. to build a new field fence parraell to her barb wire fence, thirteen hundred foot long. BACK TO THE POND.... Another neighbor that buts up to my property on the other end has a very large pond. His over flo drain traverses through his property onto mine. via a ditch or creek what ever you choose to call it, which dumps into my pond. My pond has an over flo that goes into a tree lined ditch onto and through the womans land and so on. The parraell fence crosses this ditch, which creates the new problem..... The woman dug a hole about twenty feet wide. She banked the durt on her side which stops the flo of water from crossing my land and in the winter causes my east pasture to flood. In the summer there is a hole under the fences which would allow my calves to wander onto her land. We had the ditch plugged with a wooden post which hung in into the ditch below the wire fence,which kept the calves on my land. This morning my wife went out to check Fatso (our over due Angus cow) and discovered that the woman had removed the post that was hanging from the wire and one of our bull calves was on her side. We retrieved him. My wife helped me wire the ditch again today. This woman is a nusance. Problem is I can not shoot her. What am I to do? Tom :devil2: :devil2:

Ok let me see if I got it all.
The woman who is causing the problem is the mother of the land owner next door. Does she own the land or her son? If he owns it I would invite him over for a drink and talk to him about the problems. Show him what is going on and what you have done to try to get along with his mother.

Now if that doesn't work there is not much you can do unfortunately.
As for the post hanging from the fence, is it your fence or hers? If it is yours and she removes the post that is theft.
Now if your calves get on her place and she throws a hissy fit, just point out that she took out the one thing keeping your stock on your place.
I would start documenting everything that has been done from the rut left on your place to the flooding occuring on your place due to her actions.
Now if the toe of the pond is on your side of the property line, you should own it and be able to do whatever you want with it.
Maybe talk to your county attorney and see what the law states concerning this issue.

Sounds like you are going to need a really good lawyer to work this one out. I doubt working things out in a neighborly way is going to work, especially if you can't get a government agency to do its job. I'd settle for nothing less that having that pond filled in and your property restored at this point.

You have a survey? You know where you property line should be? You might have to have it resurveyed. Brownmule can talk to you for days regarding this issue. She's been fighting out something similar for a couple of years now and still has not had a resolution.

You and the neighbor need to get together and compare surveys. If you have one, present it and ask if he has one. If it is Mama that owns the land, then you are in for a fight, it sounds to me. Try to work it out with them, document, document, document and then call an lawyer.

free fill wanted. debris of any kind for fill. please dump on property line along fence.

little bit of that goin on and things will turn aorund for ya...then just bury it if ya have the means...in the pond thats on yer side of the fence. dont matter if she dug it. if her tree grows over you can trim it. if her prop floods yers you can change the course....do what ya gotta. ya worried bout hurtin her feelings>>?????? she dont care bout yers any...call yer cty comm and tell em the insp is her wanna be son and wont help ya

This woman use to live on the other side of the county. A friend of mine told me that when she sold out and moved over here by her son that the old neighborhood had a block party. Two years ago she called the sheriff and told them that I hooked a piece of barb wire onto her fence. She sits on her back porch with her binoculars and watches every thing we do. Day before Fathers day the moving van arrived with our daughters furniture. The old hyde drove up and parked on top of her pond bank so she could see better. She is always tryin to start something. We are quiet people. We do not bother or ask any one for anything. We have built nearly two miles of field fence on our property, most was property line fence, totally at our expence asking neighbors for nothing. Would you just love your neighbor building you new fence. She threw an old bicycle frame over the fence into my hay field. Also likes to throw her empty beer cans and plastic shopping bags over the fence. While building our new home, we caught one neighbor giving guided tours of our new pond and floor plan of our home. We would love to be left alone. We did not retire here to fight with people. Tom :cboy:

This woman use to live on the other side of the county. A friend of mine told me that when she sold out and moved over here by her son that the old neighborhood had a block party. Two years ago she called the sheriff and told them that I hooked a piece of barb wire onto her fence. She sits on her back porch with her binoculars and watches every thing we do. Day before Fathers day the moving van arrived with our daughters furniture. The old hyde drove up and parked on top of her pond bank so she could see better. She is always tryin to start something. We are quiet people. We do not bother or ask any one for anything. We have built nearly two miles of field fence on our property, most was property line fence, totally at our expence asking neighbors for nothing. Would you just love your neighbor building you new fence. She threw an old bicycle frame over the fence into my hay field. Also likes to throw her empty beer cans and plastic shopping bags over the fence. While building our new home, we caught one neighbor giving guided tours of our new pond and floor plan of our home. We would love to be left alone. We did not retire here to fight with people. Tom :cboy:

If your goal is to get your dirt back and get the fence in the right place, you will probably have to get a lawyer and be willing to spend years fighting it. Too many times, something that is done when you are not around is not correctable. I had a neighbor who was gone a couple of months and his neighbors drilled a well 20 feet over onto his property for their house. He spent many years and alot of money and the court ended up giving those people the 20 feet. It is best to be able to keep an eye on your property. Get videos of her throwing trash on your property so you can wear her out from paying fines and being arrested. Keep her spending money in court while you are trying to get your property back. See a lawyer and see what you can legally do that doesnt cost you extra money. This isnt right, but it might be legal

A smart man would tell you to see a lawyer.

A dumb fool like me would tell you to take up target shooting until you get good.
don't shoot toward them but shoot a few rounds every day.

Let em know you are armed and know how to shoot.

Be safe at all times and don't do anything agressive.

chase beer cans back over the fence with a rifle.

Guy from the conservation district did not have authority to do a darn thing anyway. I am one and I don't have authority to blow my own nose. All I can do is make suggestions.

Well this puts a different spin on things. She is spying on you. Check out your "Peeping Tom" laws.
Now if you can catch her throwing her trash over the fence and onto your property that would give you a little more of an upper hand on her. If you can see the property line clearly from your residence, I would set up a video camera pointing that way each time you leave. That way she cannot say she wasn't doing anything.
Shooting won't do anything, but get the cops knocking on your door.

Reading about how the last block celebrated when she left should tell you that this person enjoys getting their way through intimadation.

Lammie is right get your property re-surveyed. If it comes out that part of her pond is over the line, just send by certified mail a copy of the survey and a typed letter of intent informing her that you are going to fill in that part of the pond that is on your property. I would get a lawyer involved first though, because I bet she will try to stop you and she will try it by intimadation.
Get your ducks in a row and call the cops only as a last resort. They hate having to come out to these, but make it worth it. Have your evidence on hand and fill out a written complaint form against her.

May seem like a lot of hassle but better to have the hassle now then later if you ever decide to try to sell the place and you cannot because of her.

First of all go to your courthouse and check any and all laws that apply to your or her property that involve fences or any other laws you can use against her. The local inspector have him out again and when he says he wont do anything because she took him in as a kid ask him if he would like to write that down and record it and if he will then you cantake itto his boss and get him fired cause he cant allow personal aquantances to get in the way of doing his job just like a police officer can not let their friends off the hook for bad behavior. Else get a different local inspector out if you can. MAke friends with the local law inforcement and see what you can findout concerning things but dont be a pain to them in doing so. Document everything. Do not talk to her with out an unbiassed witness, do not send her anything without sending her sending it through certified mail. Talk to a lawyer adn get as much evidence and such together and the ntake her to court. MAke sure you can get a camera with enough power to recognize her face if you are going to take pictures of her dumping her trash on your land. Otherwise try putting up game cameras that mount on trees but not sure what will happen if she steals them or breaks them so you will have to figure out someway to document them and prove it if she does something to them. Be annopying but completely within your rights like target practice on your property with a .223 or bigger cause from the way it sounds she will call the police and keep doing cause the police wil come out they will talk to her they will talk to you they will realize taht your completely within your rights and leave wait a few days do it again and keep repeating till the police wont come outanymore becasue they are sick of her and know what is going on. talk to other people that have problems with her cause if she annoys you she probably does the same with other neighbors. They might be willing to go in woth you on a lawyer if they have problems with her also. DO EVERYHING LEGALLY AND CAN NOT COME AGAINST YOU OR BACK TO YOU IN ANYWAY.

If the man from the soil conservation service is not doing his job you need to talk to his supervisor. In most states you are not allowed to change the topography of the land in such a way that it changes the flow of water of adjoining property. You are also not allowed to build a lake who's water encroaches upon the property of others. Take soil from your property is theft and trespass at the very least. The longer you wait in taking action the harder it will be to get anything resolved. If brush is already growing in a gully, it sounds like it has been a fairly long time already.

yall need to trun this qround. kerley is the one gettin the screwin and everything everyone has suggested only creates more work and grief for him. extra expenses.

hey kerley just sack up and go tell that b**ch to mind her own business and then go make yer prop the way you want it. dont let someone bother you and yours and make yer life miserable. go to the grocery store and get a whole buchof magazine subscription coupons and fill em out do a hundres of em with a couple beers. pick really crappy one that will be a bitch to cancel. mark bill me later on the coupon and send em to her. thatll keep her busy so she leaves you alone.
go to the pound and get a dg that will not stop barkin and put it under a tree near her house. put a little shelter out there and tie himup everynite before bed. maybe a week later or when she gets tired of hearin it bark you might ''suggest''to her how to be abetter nieghbor.

why should you be put out cuz of someone else. turn on her and make her life miserable. start dumpin all yer wire and scrap posts and junk on yer side of the fence into that low spot for fill...if its her pond..so be it....go guerilla on her..she'll give up...turn a huge spotlite to her house..all nite

If you are going to sign up for magazine subscriptions, have fun with then names

Hugh Jaas
Ima Hogg
Harry Bach
I. M. Dimm

With luck, the magazines will turn the contact info in to an address database and she will get junk mail forever under these names

i got a lotta good ideas. 90% legal! as long as i dont get banned ill be here for yall!! :tiphat: :wave: haha!!!!! snake or possum in her mailbox?? turn off her well when she goes out some evening...leave her gate open and let her animals go....call in an anonymous tip to crimestopers for a local growhouse...advertise her phone number on craigslist for somew thing free but only call at nite cuz i sleep days..11pm til 5am...let it ring i sleep heavy....post things on bulletin boards all over the place when ya go out. feed store/walmart/..enjoy!!!!

I thank all of you for your advice. The Lawyer is definately out. I believe the Lawyers around here are bigger crooks than Al Capone. There are Laws but they do not seem to apply to country folks. I do like the more devious solutions that were suggested. I do not think there is much we can do without starting a war with her. The other neighbors have been ok. This woman has a habit of calling the law if you dont do what she wants, I guess it is just my turn. I guess she is so misserable with her life that she just can not be nice to anyone. I repaired the fence and hopefully she will behave for a while. There are so many things to be thankful for. Our daughter and grand daughter have moved back home and we are not lonley any more. Fatso calved, (a heiffer calve). God blessed us with rain Thursday and another Friday and looks like more today. I can almost see the grass growing, and I located and purchased my winter hay. All is good for now. Y'all have a nice day. Tom :cboy:

I think they both stink Cowboy 15. So maybe do both? A rooster crowing near her house at 4am should really make her life pleasant.

kerley how far are you from Dotham? Got a friend living down. The big stinker likes to call us when our tempature in below zero and tell us how nice it is down there. Maybe you can whack him up along side of his head for me when he does that? :lol2: :lol2: :nod: ;-)

Latest posts