PVC fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
Has anyone used PVC fencing on their property? We are in the process of building a new farm and we need it to have a certain look. I've yet to see PVC fencing in a cattle field but the manufacturer is claiming it's tough enough. I have only added it to a strip on one side of a field (the area you see from the road), the rest I'm doing square post, 4 board, but am wondering if I need to add another fence line behind the PVC fencing. Or If I should last minute swap it out to wood, split rail. We get a lot of rain here...need it to be durable.

http://vinylfencecanada.ca/ranch-rail-vinyl-fence/

There was some on my place for a while. Three rail. The cows would try to stick their head through to graze the other side and push the rails out of their socket. Easy to fix but the cows would be out. I lined the inside with wire panels to stop this but the fence starting getting brittle from the sun exposure after a few years so I just replace all of it.

callmefence said:
I've built miles of it and I consider it garbage.
For a little more you can build a good welded pipe fence and paint it white.

Never thought about welded. We actually own a welding shop and never even thought about it :tiphat: . I want it to look over done fancy. I'll quote in in my shop today. Thanks

bird dog said:
There was some on my place for a while. Three rail. The cows would try to stick their head through to graze the other side and push the rails out of their socket. Easy to fix but the cows would be out. I lined the inside with wire panels to stop this but the fence starting getting brittle from the sun exposure after a few years so I just replace all of it.

Thanks. That was my worry. The only PVC fencing I see around has panels hanging of it. Wood fencing just doesn't fair well here and the area I have to put it in has a large culvert that runs near it in the rainy season. I'm worried the wood will just rot right out.

cowgal604 said:
callmefence said:

Never thought about welded. We actually own a welding shop and never even thought about it :tiphat: . I want it to look over done fancy. I'll quote in in my shop today. Thanks
Post a pic when you get it done.

Welded steel, painted will be first class all the way around.

I'd study on what paint to use, maybe even a primer, so you don't paint it so often.

Quick googling found this - Where higher aesthetics are required, use a 3 coat inorganic zinc paint system with clear coat finish. https://www.fdot.gov/design/cpr/WeatheringSteelBridges.shtm

HDRider said:
cowgal604 said:
callmefence said:

Post a pic when you get it done.

Welded steel, painted will be first class all the way around.

I'd study on what paint to use, maybe even a primer, so you don't paint it so often.

Quick googling found this - Where higher aesthetics are required, use a 3 coat inorganic zinc paint system with clear coat finish. https://www.fdot.gov/design/cpr/WeatheringSteelBridges.shtm

Luckily I have a top notch painting facility in one of our businesses. We weld for high pressure. Oil and gas, water waste/water, so I have access to a lot of great equipment. I also have access to a lot of stainless steel...

PVC, as my wife once informed me, should be underground or inside a wall, not on a fence or (in my case) used as a driveway border....

One thing those fancy looking white PVC fences ARE good for is increasing your property taxes and it don't take long for the county to jack it up either, (it ain't like you can hide 'em) and it never made much sense to me anyway to spend thousands of $$$$ just to increase your property taxes $100/year for the life of the fence.

They don't last long around here because of all the ever falling tree limbs.

greybeard said:
PVC, as my wife once informed me, should be underground or inside a wall, not on a fence or (in my case) used as a driveway border....

One thing those fancy looking white PVC fences ARE good for is increasing your property taxes and it don't take long for the county to jack it up either, (it ain't like you can hide 'em) and it never made much sense to me anyway to spend thousands of $$$$ just to increase your property taxes $100/year for the life of the fence.

They don't last long around here because of all the ever falling tree limbs.

Canada, all I have to do is earn $2,600 a year on the property and I pay almost no property tax. We are apart of the ALR (Agricultural Land Reserve) and entitled to certain tax breaks if we run our farm to the standards set out. Which right now is earning $2,600 and using X amount of the land for farming. But we are plunking a brand new 6,000 sqft house on this farm. Will be interesting to see what the city says. I am adding a 400 chicken barn to try and offset it. if I get my earnings high enough we will have no tax bill.

I have PVC fence around the house and down one side of the driveway. It was put in by a former owner. I hate it, the wife likes it so it stays for now. There is a fair number of broken posts and rails. Nothing that is obvious from a distance but it simply doesn't hold up to cattle. I ran an electric wire down the inside to keep the cows off it. If it were up to me I would never ever pay the money to install it.

Here is a couple pictures.

It looks nice from a distance.

It does hold up well to tree trimmers.

If you want pictures of half broken off posts and rails I can go outside and take a few for you. It took the tree trimmers about 4 months to get the parts to repair it and when the finally did it took 2 guy the better part of a day to do it.

They had a beautiful PVC fence on FM144 between Granbury and Glen Rose. It was there for about 5 years and then someone tossed a cigarette out. Grass fire took about half the fence. It melted down. They removed it all.

backhoeboogie said:
They had a beautiful PVC fence on FM144 between Granbury and Glen Rose. It was there for about 5 years and then someone tossed a cigarette out. Grass fire took about half the fence. It melted down. They removed it all.

Some jerk always has to toss a butt eh :oops:

Dave said:
I have PVC fence around the house and down one side of the driveway. It was put in by a former owner. I hate it, the wife likes it so it stays for now. There is a fair number of broken posts and rails. Nothing that is obvious from a distance but it simply doesn't hold up to cattle. I ran an electric wire down the inside to keep the cows off it. If it were up to me I would never ever pay the money to install it.

If you want pictures of half broken off posts and rails I can go outside and take a few for you. It took the tree trimmers about 4 months to get the parts to repair it and when the finally did it took 2 guy the better part of a day to do it.

What a gorgeous setting Dave! Although the fence doesn't hold up it sure looks nice in the photo! Oregon is such a beautiful state :heart:

cowgal604 said:
Dave said:

What a gorgeous setting Dave! Although the fence doesn't hold up it sure looks nice in the photo! Oregon is such a beautiful state :heart:
The setting doesn't look as nice this morning at 12 degrees with a 25 mph wind. I would hate to have a calf bump the fence this morning. I think the whole thing would just shatter.

Dave said:
cowgal604 said:
Dave said:

The setting doesn't look as nice this morning at 12 degrees with a 25 mph wind. I would hate to have a calf bump the fence this morning. I think the whole thing would just shatter.

We are just north of you in BC, Canada right by the Blaine, Washington border. We have the same weather today. A few days ago we had a big wind storm here, I am sure you felt it too. Took out a ton of trees. But its better than the insane amount of rain we had the weeks before that.