Winter Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

Hardin Farms

Reaction score
This fall i am looking to get started building a perimeter fence around my property. 5 strand barbed wire, t-post on 12' spacing. We will get started late fall and inevitably will carry on into the winter. Are there any concerns with post stability in winter ground? Most of the property is well drained and the wet areas we will try to knock out this fall before it gets wet. Thanks in advance!

Hardin Farms said:
This fall i am looking to get started building a perimeter fence around my property. 5 strand barbed wire, t-post on 12' spacing. We will get started late fall and inevitably will carry on into the winter. Are there any concerns with post stability in winter ground? Most of the property is well drained and the wet areas we will try to knock out this fall before it gets wet. Thanks in advance!

I have a good amount of bottom land that stands in water at times in my winters. Those t-post are drove through a bag of redimix.

IMO fencing is not a hot weather job, if it can be put off. I like late winter early spring as the ground is softer and it is not hot.

jltrent said:
IMO fencing is not a hot weather job, if it can be put off. I like late winter early spring as the ground is softer and it is not hot.

So you mean my old mans theory on summertime being the only time to fence was just a ploy to get me out of bed in the mornings??? I'm not pressing to get done with it. My cows are confined with hot wire and have been for a few months. Definitely looking to start later in fall. Thanks for your input!

I actually don't mind fencing in summer. I find with a good hat you tend to make your own breeze as you move around. Often better than the alternative of sitting around though admittedly I don't have aircon.

Ken

jltrent said:
It is against my religion to build fence in the summer.

Unless you stuck it in a crack, you'd need a diamond tipped bit to get a hole dug for a post around here right now. 🙄

Hardin Farms said:

My perimeter fences now will have six wires and tee-post on 6 foot centers. This keeps the cows from sticking their heads through the fence and pushing it over. Also four barb barb wire. Cost a little more but I think in the long run it pays.

Where do you guys come up with the money to buy t post these days?!?!?! We've used 12 foot centers with a wooden post every 5th post and stays in between each post and have good luck. The best thing that we've found to keep cows from sticking their head through is round upping about 2 feet out on each side of the fence. I'll put an H-Brace periodically as well on the long runs. Appreciate all the input guys. I know fencing is one of those things that everyone has their own opinion on.

Latest posts