Fencing laws

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
On a hunting forum I visit very infrequently I noticed a thread about cows getting out, and it had really upset some hunters on there. They owned, or more likely leased land joining cattle farms. The people were really really saying some goof ball things. I pointed out the Ky fencing laws

Paraphrasing law:
1. Both parties of a line fence are responsible for the up keep
2. When new fence is built both parties share expense. Lien can be attached if one party refuses to pay
3. Both parties face at center of property line. Each is responsible for the fence to their right

I only have one neighbor with cows. He's my dad. I maintain all his fences not just the property line. None of my other neighbors have cattle. I maintain my line fences there as well. I would never expect them to, if they don't have cows.

If someone purchases a property in Ky that has a fence, and they want there neighbors cows off of their property they should maintain half the fence. They were able to depreciate the fence at time of purchase. My accountant lets me. This may not be an arguing point. These guys were really nasty with their comments. Once again, I don't force the point, never have and never will.

I pointed out that the farmer they were upset with could get a pocket full of deer destruction tags, and kill as many deer as they wanted. Reeking havoc on their hobby. They need to learn to get along

I just wanted to know if other states had the same laws, and if anybody ever had their neighbor pay for half. I think about doing it all the time, but never have.

I have 4 different neighbors on 3 sides of my property. Only one of them shares with upkeep of the fence, and thats cuz he has cattle too. The other 3, could give a dang if the fence is good or not. In the past if my cows got into their property, they call me..and I go get em back in, and I fix the fence. It's only in my best interest to keep the fences good.
Now in a perfect world...... :deadhorse:

Ohio had similar laws until recently, less than 10 years ago. They've now changed it so a land owner with no need for a fence doesn't have any financial responsibility.
I'm a member of many hunting forums, and the vast majority of members are internet loud mouths who know nothing about fence other than the picket fence in their suburban yards. They know how to talk big through a keyboard, but that's about it. The phrase "mob mentality" has taken on a new meaning since internet forums came along.

Out in the West, where we have lots of OPEN RANGE, I think many state laws are that you can't complain unless you've made provision to fence other livestock OUT of your space. But you probably also need to fence your own cattle in if you're worried about liability.

Here if you put a fence on the line the adjoining landowner may supply the materials but he doesn't have to. Just courtesy. However, if you put the fence on the line you must get his permission before you can take it down hence My fences are set back six inches.

Jogeephus":25nwc7bc said:
Here if you put a fence on the line the adjoining landowner may supply the materials but he doesn't have to. Just courtesy. However, if you put the fence on the line you must get his permission before you can take it down hence My fences are set back six inches.

Mine are all 8' off the line, that way the bull's can't touch noses.
Now I do have one stretch that we have a contract recorded in the courthouse.
Fellow uses my fence and does all the upkeep of the barb wire and electric fence.
Rich guy that doesn't live here and has farm hands. I can break the agreement at anytime and he has 30 day's to get a fence up on the line. I have 30 day's to move my hay. He has the same thing on the front where my hay lay down yard is. I am using part of his and him part of mine with a no adverse possesion contract on file at the courthouse. Been working for four years like a charm took a 1/2 mile of fence line off me to maintain.

I have no problem with the neighbor using my fence and I will maintain it myself but I set it back because if I ever want to take it down I don't think its right for me to have to ask the neighbors permission when its my fence. I probably will never take it down but you never know.

Jogeephus":25nfz4pl said:
I have no problem with the neighbor using my fence and I will maintain it myself but I set it back because if I ever want to take it down I don't think its right for me to have to ask the neighbors permission when its my fence. I probably will never take it down but you never know.
LIKE. I think that way, too.

Latest posts