Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

All our old survey plans have measurements in links (7.92") and chains. This refers to the surveyors chain they used to measure distances.

Ken

I do believe that along time ago here in the US, the land was also measured in chains. Many old family farms we walked across, still used this as measurement.

Your right I assumed cattle forum would have talk of cattle fence.

I'll see myself out of the backyard decoration thread. Ha
So you actually believe that if anyone has anything but a 3 strand Chinese barbed wire fence, they are not livestock producers and are headed for bankruptcy?

Whatever happened with pride in your work and home?

Wowza you made some leaps and conclusions and put words in my mouth that I never said. Hahaha some of you guys are something else.

So if a guy doesn't spend $200 for panel fence around his yard then he has "no pride in his work or home"?

A guy can't have "pride in his work or home" if he has a wire fence?

People on this forum often ask how to make money with cattle? and how us guys up north can afford to feed hay 7 months of the year? or how theres any money having to truck feeder calves 350+ miles to the sale barn?

Well for guys I know around here they are profitable because they make do with very inexpensive land and infrastructure.

At least quote the whole thing. Notice I said around HERE and GUYS I KNOW.

I've been asked probably 50 times on here how someone can make money feeding hay 7+ months of the year on the frozen tundra and shipping calves 350+ miles. Well one way WE AROUND HERE do it is be being frugal in other areas just as i implied in my original quote.

I agree with @chevytaHOE5674 .... he was making a statement to give credence to "HIS METHODS" of farming and making it profitable. He was simply saying that he put his time and money into what helped him to make a living farming... and saying that they make do with INEXPENSIVE land and infrastructure is not saying that he does it in a shoddy or cheapo or half-azzed manner...
I do think that many took his comment way out of proportion... and that spending what some do on these continuous panels and pipe sections are not what he does... I re read all this and he simply said that the way they can afford to feed hay 7 months a year among other things is to do other things inexpensively and in a frugal manner...

Never said wore out fences, equipment and infrastructure to be profitable, I said inexpensive there is a difference.

Many ways to skin the cat. But for myself and many other instead of spending $120-200 to fence 20' with fancy panels, I'll spend a mear fraction of that to string HT wire. Then take the rest of my profits and use for other things like paying living expenses, saving to buy the next piece of land, etc.

I dont give a rip what others do with their money. But I see it mentioned on here often that it's hard to make money with cattle, or you can't be profitable, yada yada. Well one way to help be profitable is not farm "lavishly".

Most places with fence like that are usual high traffic areas / pens / corrals. Your guardrail is what? 100 a section? So with 3 guard rails you have $300 + posts in a 20' section. The pipe is cheaper and easier.

well.. talking about frugal.. I've ripped out about every interior 5 strand fence on this place and another I have. I reused all the brace pipe corners and turned them into hay feeders with some other leftover pipe I had laying around. Cost = 0. those feeders will last forever.

I took off all the fence clips off the t-posts if they are still in pretty good condition. If not I'll rip the entire fence out in no time.. but if the tposts are nice I'll take the time.. pull all the wire and clips by hand and save them. So far for the past 4 years I haven't had to buy a t-post. So I pretty much MAYBE have a post or 2 and the wire cost in my fence.

I bought a stack of 7 bar HEAVY 20' panels at auction for 1/2 price. Put my entire corral together with those.

lots of pipe around here.. not even sure where to buy a wood post or RR tie here. never seen one for sale anywhere.

You can and nobody said you can't.

What I said was PEOPLE ASK HOW USE FOLKS ON THE TUNDRA MAKE MONEY FEEDING 7 MONTHS OF THE YEAR AND SHIPPING 350+ MILES.

Well one way we do that is by NOT spending $10 per foot to put up fence unless it's absolutely necessary.

I paid $1.25 a foot for highway guard rail when the state replaced it along the highway. Guys selling it for more are price gouging. So 3 rails for a corral is $3.75 a foot plus posts.
where are you getting it for that? If I can buy some around here for that much i'll use that for my feedlot instead of the fence panels.

I agree with @chevytaHOE5674 .... he was making a statement to give credence to "HIS METHODS" of farming and making it profitable.
So do I.

But I've always been more a function over fashion kinda guy. Almost all of my barbed wire and high tensile barbless wire came from Van Buren Arkansas, but I think they (Bakaert)had a plant in Tn at one time. A long way from China.

I saw several of those pipe and wire rope (cable) fences back in East Texas along the FM road frontages. Drs and dentists mostly but one of my blue collar friends built one down his long driveway. He was retired from an electric utility company and 'acquired' a lot of their old alum and SS wire. It looked nice but served no real purpose other than the "Hey, look at me!" factor, but he had his son take it down 2-3 years later after he realized it being there had raised his property taxes. (he didn't have enough property to qualify for ag so he just had a huge garden but still didn't qual because it was all for own use)

Three important things to make money with cattle. How much you spend purchasing them. Maximizing the money when you sell them. And how frugal you are in running your place. Any and all of this will vary depending on where you live. Used pipe and iron is real expensive here. Because there is not much here and the freight bill to get it here will cost. Railroad ties are cheap here and they last. We just put together a prolapsed cow. Actual time in the chute was maybe 20 minutes. A vet would have charged several hundred dollars to do it. The supplies we used cost less than $40. If you need to call a vet pay close attention to what the vet does so you can do it yourself next time.

The metal we got for our fence was piping out of an old Walmart, was the sprinkler system. They stacked the pipes out back. The building changed hands a few times and on down the line our son in law was hired to redo the roof. He asked the owner about the pipes and they just wanted it gone. He called my husband who bought the lot for 700 bucks. The fence is just a fraction of what he got. It's amazing at what people just want gone.

So do I.

But I've always been more a function over fashion kinda guy. Almost all of my barbed wire and high tensile barbless wire came from Van Buren Arkansas, but I think they (Bakaert)had a plant in Tn at one time. A long way from China.

I saw several of those pipe and wire rope (cable) fences back in East Texas along the FM road frontages. Drs and dentists mostly but one of my blue collar friends built one down his long driveway. He was retired from an electric utility company and 'acquired' a lot of their old alum and SS wire. It looked nice but served no real purpose other than the "Hey, look at me!" factor, but he had his son take it down 2-3 years later after he realized it being there had raised his property taxes. (he didn't have enough property to qualify for ag so he just had a huge garden but still didn't qual because it was all for own use)
Bekaert has or had, a plant in Rome, Ga, too.

What in the world does a nice pipe fence have to do with cattle being profitable? I'm still confused. I guess if you use Charmin in the ranch bathroom that's cutting the profits also?
They have come to the conclusion from one post... that every one who likes to put up a style fence... other than what they approve... is broke and/or trying to show off. 🤣

Latest posts