Fence

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice job on the fence. We've been rebuilding and replacing a lot of old fence here the last few years. Getting close to 20 miles of new and newer now. Another 8 or 10 and we will have it all done.
Some wire but most is 4 lgs like this
IMG_0202.jpeg

I was thinking of buying one of those smaller airless paint guns and try to paint the pipe fence that way. painters mitt is too slow.. I want to get it done and I have a lot. Those guns are about 150 - 200 bucks.

I found this stuff to put on.. looks pretty good, but I haven't tried it.
Whatever the can says about coverage, if you spray it you will lose about 30% of that as overspray, and don't park any vehicles anywhere close unless you want them the same color as the fence.

Ever used Penetrol?

Last edited:
Holy smokes yall spend a lot of money on fence and posts. That fence would be worth more than the land it's on around here. Lol
That's how we do it around here too. Never have to do it again.. everything is welded. cows won't destroy it. It is expensive but its nice to do it that way. 20' 6 bar panels are around 120.00 each and pipe is around 30-35 each for a 3". I wouldn't do the entire place in it but with pens, corrals, etc.. it ends up being a lot.

Whatever the can says about coverage, if you spray it you will lose about 30% of that as overspray, and don't park any vehicles anywhere close unless you want them the same color as the fence.

Ever used Penetrol?
never used that before. The stuff I posted you can use and leave, not even paint over it. changes the chemical in the metal or something..

My corral and working facilities are highway guard rail. The rest of the 20+ miles of fence and cross fence are all wire.

People on this forum often ask how to make money with cattle? and how us guys up north can afford to feed hay 7 months of the year? or how theres any money having to truck feeder calves 350+ miles to the sale barn?

Well for guys I know around here they are profitable because they make do with very inexpensive land and infrastructure.

We have barb wire or fixed knot fence for pasture fences. 80% has been replaced in the last 10yrs the rest was probably built in the 50's and 60's. We decided to replace about 2,000' of fence around our house with the Continuous fence panels and post in the pics over the last 6 months. We build all the fences ourselves to save on the labor. The pipe fence was a bit of a splurge but didn't break the bank and should be trouble free for the next 30-40 yrs at least.

Our corrals are built out of used oil field pipe and sucker rod. The next set I build will be out of the contiuous panels. The panels are more expensive but are a huge time saver and seem to be a much better option.

Must have a lot of logs Dave.

Ken
Lots of pine weeds here. Contractor who has been building is 75 now and pretty much mechanized. He and a crew of 2 built 7.5 km this year between January 10 and March 10. 270 panels in a km. Properly built you won't touch a fence for 20 years.

We don't have enough volume of cedar or tamarack (only thing that won't rot away in 5 years) to build any sort of meaning fence. Would be nice to use the trees that grow here but hardwood doesn't weather well.

To get a perspective, I went on the internet and got some conversion charts to see how long 7.5 km was... so about 4 1/2 miles in US measurements... or 23,700+ feet.. so for us with the common length of 330 ft rolls of wire here local, that's like over 72 rolls of wire... WOW....
Love your wood fence, but here it would not last that long either unless it was chestnut like they used to make the zigzag pole fences out of because chestnut lasted forever... sadly those trees succumbed to the chestnut blight...
I did not find any references to a "panel" ... some old timers here will still reference a fence to "rods" which is 16.5 feet... but few even know that anymore it seems. Although it is still used in horse racing...with furlongs... which is 40 rods I think... 660 ft in a furlong if I remember right... a rod also used to be called a pole...

My corral and working facilities are highway guard rail. The rest of the 20+ miles of fence and cross fence are all wire.

People on this forum often ask how to make money with cattle? and how us guys up north can afford to feed hay 7 months of the year? or how theres any money having to truck feeder calves 350+ miles to the sale barn?

Well for guys I know around here they are profitable because they make do with very inexpensive land and infrastructure.

wood posts here rot really fast, if you want to replace the fence in 5-10 years that would be the way to go. (here) Lots of rocks here to break wood posts as well and the pipes being hollow they drive quick.

Most of the fence here is pipe corners and tposts running the length. 5 - 6 strand barb with most being 5. My new perimeter fences i'm putting in are 5 strand if its flat and 6 if it has some slope. All interior is a single 9' pipe drove to 3.5' high out of the ground with a single HT wire running on fiberglass posts spaced as far as possible.

RR tie corners are good for 10-25 year in the ground here depending on starting condition, still have 100yo cedar posts in the ground but cut one down today and put it in the ground and it wont last 5 years. I'm hoping my steel pipe corners are good for another 50 years then they can be someone else's problems.

Here in the land of 20 feet of snowfall, high winds, forests, and wet clay soils no fence is forever. Mother nature destroys them all.

80 rods (traditionally) in a roll of barbed wire, which is also 1320 ft (1/4 mile).
Just be glad ya never had to build a fence off a survey that was in Spanish Varas. I did. Varas differed greatly depending where you were located even in the US Southwest, but in Texas, as late as 1919, the official length of a Vara (by law) was 33 1/3 inches per Vara. The US supreme court in 1870 got involved because of the immense size of many of the properties in NM, Ariz and Calif that becaume US property after the Mexican/American war and ruled that all Varas in the US would be pegged to the Texas Vara and that too caused a lot of grief and more than one gunfight and range war broke out because the ruling meant some older families lost land as they were originally laid out by the old Mexican Vara which was larger/longer than the Texas Vara.. When your ranch is many thousands of (sq acres) the inches add up..

There all kinds of smaller measurements within the Vara, and most are related to the width or length of a finger.

A Vara is not just the word for a length, it's also the term for the length of wood or iron that is used to measure the Vara. Mexican varas are graduated in tenths on one side. One of the tenths is subdivided into 10 centesimos (hundredths), and one centesimo is further subdivided into 10 thousandths. The other side shows division of the vara into one-half, one-third, one-fourth, one-sixth and one-eighth. The one-sixth section is divided into "pulgadas" (Spanish inches). Pulgar is the word for "thumb" in Spanish, and thus the inch roughly corresponds to the length of the first thumb bone.

There is another finger-derived gradation as well. The varas are also divided into "dedos," a unit I had never heard of before, which means "fingers." A dedo is a "standard fingerwidth"; one vara equals 48 dedos. This means that a dedo is approximately 17.45 millimeters or (0.69 inch).

Now you know more about Varas than you probably ever wanted to know.

Inexpensive fences and infrastructure are not what makes a place profitable, and you don't have to have ragged wore out equipment and infrastructure to have good livestock and be profitable. It takes a strong work ethic, desire, and a sharp pencil to be profitable. It's what you decide to do with the profits that is what determines how the place looks.

Never said wore out fences, equipment and infrastructure to be profitable, I said inexpensive there is a difference.

Many ways to skin the cat. But for myself and many other instead of spending $120-200 to fence 20' with fancy panels, I'll spend a mear fraction of that to string HT wire. Then take the rest of my profits and use for other things like paying living expenses, saving to buy the next piece of land, etc.

I dont give a rip what others do with their money. But I see it mentioned on here often that it's hard to make money with cattle, or you can't be profitable, yada yada. Well one way to help be profitable is not farm "lavishly".

Last edited:
80 rods (traditionally) in a roll of barbed wire, which is also 1320 ft (1/4 mile).
Just be glad ya never had to build a fence off a survey that was in Spanish Varas. I did. Varas differed greatly depending where you were located even in the US Southwest, but in Texas, as late as 1919, the official length of a Vara (by law) was 33 1/3 inches per Vara. The US supreme court in 1870 got involved because of the immense size of many of the properties in NM, Ariz and Calif that becaume US property after the Mexican/American war and ruled that all Varas in the US would be pegged to the Texas Vara and that too caused a lot of grief and more than one gunfight and range war broke out because the ruling meant some older families lost land as they were originally laid out by the old Mexican Vara which was larger/longer than the Texas Vara.. When your ranch is many thousands of (sq acres) the inches add up..

There all kinds of smaller measurements within the Vara, and most are related to the width or length of a finger.

A Vara is not just the word for a length, it's also the term for the length of wood or iron that is used to measure the Vara. Mexican varas are graduated in tenths on one side. One of the tenths is subdivided into 10 centesimos (hundredths), and one centesimo is further subdivided into 10 thousandths. The other side shows division of the vara into one-half, one-third, one-fourth, one-sixth and one-eighth. The one-sixth section is divided into "pulgadas" (Spanish inches). Pulgar is the word for "thumb" in Spanish, and thus the inch roughly corresponds to the length of the first thumb bone.

There is another finger-derived gradation as well. The varas are also divided into "dedos," a unit I had never heard of before, which means "fingers." A dedo is a "standard fingerwidth"; one vara equals 48 dedos. This means that a dedo is approximately 17.45 millimeters or (0.69 inch).

Now you know more about Varas than you probably ever wanted to know.
All our old survey plans have measurements in links (7.92") and chains. This refers to the surveyors chain they used to measure distances.

Ken

Never said wore out fences, equipment and infrastructure to be profitable, I said inexpensive there is a difference.

Many ways to skin the cat. But for myself and many other instead of spending $120-200 to fence 20' with fancy panels, I'll spend a mear fraction of that to string HT wire. Then take the rest of my profits and use for other things like paying living expenses, saving to buy the next piece of land, etc.

I dont give a rip what others do with their money. But I see it mentioned on here often that it's hard to make money with cattle, or you can't be profitable, yada yada. Well one way to help be profitable is not farm "lavishly".
Who said those fences have any thing to do with their cattle operation? Maybe they just want a nice fence around their yard or along the road in front of their house.

Latest posts