fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":154fxszq said:
It's probably overkill, but I bite the other side with my pliers. That's what kills my hands. Am I wasting energy?

Kinda overkill but we do it because people expect it. I prefer to put the clips on with the screwdriver and then walk back closing them.
Klein are great pliers but awkward to open wide enough. Try grabbing the end of the wire and giving a little twist to close it. Or use good channel locks.
Jmj is right about different clips. Some are just sorry, I buy mine in bulk, not the ones that come with the post. I, 'll get a pic or a link of the brand.

The top tool is the fastest by far for installing clips. I just take a 3/8 spade bit and drill a 1/8th inch hole in the end and grind the end round. The bit pictured is the best one to use, the shank is clipped to fit in an impact driver but it catches the clip perfect.
Using one tool and finishing the job the first time is a real time saver. Work smarter not harder.

Bigfoot":2kmqlr5m said:
I googled that W. Silver company. Can I just call them, and order a 1000 clips?

I by them locally , usually several bags at a time. If they won't let me know I'll ship a bag to you.

True grit that's slick as shyt. I'm going make me one today. Knuckleheads will lose it tomorrow. :lol: It's great to see innovative helpful information like that. That's what we're all here for yeah. :tiphat:

The top tool is the fastest by far for installing clips. I just take a 3/8 spade bit and drill a 1/8th inch hole in the end and grind the end round. The bit pictured is the best one to use, the shank is clipped to fit in an impact driver but it catches the clip perfect.
Using one tool and finishing the job the first time is a real time saver. Work smarter not harder.[/quote]

Ok, this has been bothering me, since this point. Nobody wants to look stupid, but today I've got to. I see how the drill bit works, but how does the other tool work?

M-5":21rhupyp said:
Bigfoot":21rhupyp said:
Grandpa":21rhupyp said:
This is what I use. It's easy on my arthritic hands/fingers and about the best $8.95 I ever spent.
http://fenceprotool.com/slideshow1.html

I gotta have one of those.

Its a good tool buy I would never BUY one. its too simple to make

In my case, the time involved plus materials would cost more than $8.95, so its a good deal for me. Wish I was more handy with metal.

Grandpa":ewevzle6 said:
[ quote="Bigfoot"]
Grandpa":ewevzle6 said:
This is what I use. It's easy on my arthritic hands/fingers and about the best $8.95 I ever spent.

Its a good tool buy I would never BUY one. its too simple to make[/quote]

In my case, the time involved plus materials would cost more than $8.95, so its a good deal for me. Wish I was more handy with metal.[/quote]

Im sure most of you have a section of steel brake line laying around some where. You would only need to cut about 6 to 8" off and "presto" you have this tool

M-5":3c03yffd said:
Grandpa":3c03yffd said:
[ quote="Bigfoot"]
Grandpa":3c03yffd said:

Its a good tool buy I would never BUY one. its too simple to make

In my case, the time involved plus materials would cost more than $8.95, so its a good deal for me. Wish I was more handy with metal.[/quote]

Im sure most of you have a section of steel brake line laying around some where. You would only need to cut about 6 to 8" off and "presto" you have this tool[/quote]

Great minds think alike, that's exactly what I made one out of last night. :tiphat:

M-5":d0t3wv63 said:
Im sure most of you have a section of steel brake line laying around some where. You would only need to cut about 6 to 8" off and "presto" you have this tool
Yeah, but which brand of vehicle's brake line works best?
Ford?
GM?
Dodge?
:lol: :hide: :deadhorse:

greybeard":2ieb0qem said:
M-5":2ieb0qem said:
Yeah, but which brand of vehicle's brake line works best?
Ford?
GM?
Dodge?
:lol: :hide: :deadhorse:
Prolly ford or Chevy cause they are most likely broke down anyway.

Well, no, I don't have any steel brake line lying around, but my neighbor might. That is a good idea. Either way, the point is, this tool has saved me much pain in these old bent fingers and allows me to work on fence for hours instead of minutes.