fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

Man alive am I sorry (sincerely) I must have missed it.

The best thing I ever did was buy the equipment to drive post. Financially and quality. I can drive the post deeper than any standard anger can dig and that's the key. It's faster and you don't have to handle or buy concrete. Spend a little of that on longer post and you'll have a much better product. I apologize again for missing your question. I've gotten a lot of help from members of this forum and it tickles me to death to give back on the few things I do know about.

I can't locate your question?. Please feel free to contact me if I haven't answered it.

I too appreciate your posts Fenceman. Very helpful.

I'm fixing to fence a new pasture. I've been leaning towards using pipe for corners and braces. My neighbors will probably think I'm crazy because you don't see that around here. Ever. Other than buying it new I don't know where I'd find it here. Any suggestions? Or should I just use light poles?

JMJ Farms":3klrrel1 said:

I'm fixing to fence a new pasture. I've been leaning towards using pipe for corners and braces. My neighbors will probably think I'm crazy because you don't see that around here. Ever. Other than buying it new I don't know where I'd find it here. Any suggestions? Or should I just use light poles?

Thanks j
Nothing wrong with wood post. Pipe is readily available here and I prefer working with it. Several members from your area have told me it's hard to get pipe. If that's the case you might well be better of using wood, just plant em deep and use good wood you'll be fine. I will say that steel like all commodities is at a severe low right now. A man needing to buy a lot of fence materials ought to consider buying now.
I enjoy your post. You are a good addition to this club.

fenceman":1pxnj026 said:
JMJ Farms":1pxnj026 said:

Thanks j
Nothing wrong with wood post. Pipe is readily available here and I prefer working with it. Several members from your area have told me it's hard to get pipe. If that's the case you might well be better of using wood, just plant em deep and use good wood you'll be fine. I will say that steel like all commodities is at a severe low right now. A man needing to buy a lot of fence materials ought to consider buying now.
I enjoy your post. You are a good addition to this club.

Thanks Fenceman for the advice. And the compliment. I will probably wind up using light poles as they are the most readily available. I also plan to take your advice and stock up on wire and t-posts.

Bought a load of pipe this morning and it's gone down again. Paying a third what I was paying when it was highest. Wire and Tpost are cheap as well. Anyone with big fence projects in their future should look up.

That's good, scrap iron was 2.5 cents # Tuesday. I'm wanting to put some 8' high fence up, what length and size pipe do i need, and how deep do I need drive it. Thanks Fenceman

Ken,

That wasn't nice. Teasing us isn't nice (Of course I'm kidding, sort of). That link shows all kinds of very cool ideas. Especially for someone just designing and building his place.

Now if I can just find a local source with good pricing.

Really, thanks for the link. My head is spinning with ideas.

wbvs58":f0qqscll said:
When I see photos of yards and fences in the US round pipe is the predominant material used. We have what we call "cattle rail" here which is reasonably priced and easily to handle and weld up to square posts and used a lot here. Do you have "cattle rail" in the US?
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=catt ... JYt5FlU%3D

Ken
I've never seen it but i've never looked for it

True Grit Farms":tf3nw8pz said:
That's good, scrap iron was 2.5 cents # Tuesday. I'm wanting to put some 8' high fence up, what length and size pipe do i need, and how deep do I need drive it. Thanks Fenceman[/quit

23/8 is fine if you use 2 horizontal pipes 2 foot off the ground and 2 foot off the top. I would buy 32 foot joints cut em in 2 13 foot sticks and drive em 4.5 foot deep. Use the 6 foot drop for the stubby post.
If you use 3 to 4 inch pipe you can do one horizontal.
To drive a 13 foot post takes a little bit of equipment. If you don't have it you can drive a 7 to 8 foot post the 4.5 foot then cut another piece to size and weld it on. Or you can drive a 8 foot 23/8 post to 4.5 feet cut off I the mushroomed top with a band saw and slide a piece of 27/8 pipe x 8.5 feet over it. All work fine

wbvs58":tf3nw8pz said:
When I see photos of yards and fences in the US round pipe is the predominant material used. We have what we call "cattle rail" here which is reasonably priced and easily to handle and weld up to square posts and used a lot here. Do you have "cattle rail" in the US?
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=catt ... JYt5FlU%3D

Ken

Never seen it

I don't know if it is because we have a lot of iron ore over here and we used to have a lot of steel mills but we use a lot of steel like in sheds and barns they all would be constructed of 100% steel as it is the cheapest and easiest and lightest material to use. I built my house with a steel stud frame, the frame sections being built in a factory, all very precise and easy to stand up and screw together. The only timber in the house is the trimmings, whiteants are a bit peed off with it. Do you have steel house frames over there?
The cattle rail is very handy, virtually all new yards built these days would be from cattle rail with panels prefabbed in a factory and then welded to 75x75mm (3"x3") posts on site. Here is an example of a set of yards using cattle rail, this mob use round posts.
http://www.proway.com.au/ProductsSevice ... Yards.html
Ken

wbvs58":v375l8j5 said:
I don't know if it is because we have a lot of iron ore over here and we used to have a lot of steel mills but we use a lot of steel like in sheds and barns they all would be constructed of 100% steel as it is the cheapest and easiest and lightest material to use. I built my house with a steel stud frame, the frame sections being built in a factory, all very precise and easy to stand up and screw together. The only timber in the house is the trimmings, whiteants are a bit peed off with it. Do you have steel house frames over there?
The cattle rail is very handy, virtually all new yards built these days would be from cattle rail with panels prefabbed in a factory and then welded to 75x75mm (3"x3") posts on site. Here is an example of a set of yards using cattle rail, this mob use round posts.
Ken
we have them but around me their very uncommon only guys with deep pockets use them

wbvs58":3i5eh7sq said:
Ken

We have them--I looked in to it in 2009 when I had a new house built. Cost prohibitive. Much of our industrial building is steel, but the majority of our new housing is still wood frame--tho much of that nowadays is brick facade over wood frame.
In your country do you build out of steel simply because you have lots of steel--or, do you build out of steel because you don't have much timber production?
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-te ... ntries.jpg

Greybeard most of houses are timber framed as well from pine plantation timber, in the housing boom after WW2 houses were framed from our eucalypt hardwoods which are heavy and very rough and shrink a lot as we had very little softwoods but nowadays we have plenty of pine plantations to keep up supply. There seems to be a bit of resistance to steel frames from builders but I found the cost to be pretty comparable to timber frame. I also clad it in corrugated zincalume sheeting running horizontal, no painting just all silver as I wanted zero maintenance. Houses being clad or partly clad in roofing iron is becoming more and more popular also.
I couldn't open that link you gave.
Ken

We use zincalume here as well. It's what's on my roof. The link leads to this image:
countries-with-most-timber-producing-countries.jpg

Latest posts