fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":1lqc4eav said:
Winery means grapes, grapes mean vines. Vines mean trellis, trellis means a lot of post
I guess i didn`t look at the sign Close enough. Most of the trellis around here are for hops and way taller like 15 or 20 ft

ez14":30b24gno said:
M-5":30b24gno said:
Winery means grapes, grapes mean vines. Vines mean trellis, trellis means a lot of post
I guess i didn`t look at the sign Close enough. Most of the trellis around here are for hops and way taller like 15 or 20 ft
Who do they sell their hops to?

ez14":6ggc9xeg said:
M-5":6ggc9xeg said:

Bigfoot":1xll5u08 said:
I could get ya $70 for that pile of rocks here.

When I asked a buddy about these he said it was a good cheap pull post. I said boy that ain't cheap there. $100 worth of rock plus a wire panel and t post. Not to mention labor cost.

Bigfoot":qqthc3sp said:
I could get ya $70 for that pile of rocks here.

:shock: we need to get together. We could both be rich.

Craig Miller":qqthc3sp said:
You ever build any fences with pull post like this Fenceman? They are all over se oklahoma.

I've done some fences with rock piles like that and cedar post for rails.

Kingfisher":qqthc3sp said:

Idk. But I've done several vineyards and wondered if their waste could be used for feed .

Kingfisher":iqz525wq said:
ez14":iqz525wq said:
M-5":iqz525wq said:
Sell it to local breweries and maybe use some for them selves. Grand rapids is the closest city to me and known for its beer.

We've got "post" like that here, and rock fences 3 to 4 ft. high and some are hundreds of feet long. They were used because the ground had that many rocks on it, and the families had two hands full of kids. The kids helped pick up the rocks and the older ones stacked the fences. It was a bonus deal. The kids picked the rocks, there was fence being built, and the field was clean (at least for a while).

This has been cleared with a skid steer and a forestry unit. They leave a he'll of a mess. A thick layer of sticks. Hard to even walk across. Does a nice job of selectively clearing. Just know your going have to deal with those sticks.

fenceman":3mv4o396 said:
This has been cleared with a skid steer and a forestry unit. They leave a he'll of a mess. A thick layer of sticks. Hard to even walk across. Does a nice job of selectively clearing. Just know your going have to deal with those sticks.

I knew a guy down river from me that had about 60ac done like that. When the river got up in 2012, they all ended up down in Lake Houston. Made a heck of a mess...

Fenceman,

What do you use to twist fence clips? I just use my Klein linemans pliers. Me and the kids put on about 100 a piece today. My arthritis is on fire.

It's probably overkill, but I bite the other side with my pliers. That's what kills my hands. Am I wasting energy?

I use about a 4 inch long screwdriver. If you bite the opposite side you do need some pliers. Some clips seem to be bent good enough but others need some help.

Latest posts