fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

This net is stretched tight except the forth wire down has slack in it. This often happens on uneven terrain. A hill will put slack in the bottom of the net, a valley in the top.
In this case it's a manufacturers defect. Also quite common. We used 12 rolls on this job, every one had slack in the fourth wire.
This is how I deal with it. This is also how we deal with uneven terrain or repair holes in net wire.

These pics got out of order. Top shows correctly installed staytuff sleeve.
Bottom shows goldenrod stretcher and sleeve.

Fourth wire all tight now.
Fwiw, the staytuff sleeves or far superior to any others. Worth what they cost.

My men are using the crimpers on down the way. I've put enough of em on I can judge the squeeze on the Klein just fine.

Didn't expect to show you anything new grit. We all know you know everything. And if we start to forget, we can count on you to remind us. :mrgreen:

I put a little work in this. So I'm going to bump it past the jealous old man.

callmefence":3dksw8xz said:
This net is stretched tight except the forth wire down has slack in it. This often happens on uneven terrain. A hill will put slack in the bottom of the net, a valley in the top.
In this case it's a manufacturers defect. Also quite common. We used 12 rolls on this job, every one had slack in the fourth wire.
This is how I deal with it. This is also how we deal with uneven terrain or repair holes in net wire.

These pics got out of order. Top shows correctly installed staytuff sleeve.
Bottom shows goldenrod stretcher and sleeve.

Fourth wire all tight now.
Fwiw, the staytuff sleeves or far superior to any others. Worth what they cost.

Had a good day today. Got all the posts in. Wire up tomorrow..weather permitting.
Thanks fence for posting this thread and all your tips. Used a few out here today.

M-5":2i6ehbuz said:
Grandpa":2i6ehbuz said:
[ quote="Bigfoot"]
Grandpa":2i6ehbuz said:
This is what I use. It's easy on my arthritic hands/fingers and about the best $8.95 I ever spent.
http://fenceprotool.com/slideshow1.html

I gotta have one of those.

Its a good tool buy I would never BUY one. its too simple to make

In my case, the time involved plus materials would cost more than $8.95, so its a good deal for me. Wish I was more handy with metal.[/quote]

Im sure most of you have a section of steel brake line laying around some where. You would only need to cut about 6 to 8" off and "presto" you have this tool[/quote]

You sir are a dam genius! Went down town and bought a short section of brake line. Made 4 out of it. One For Each helper. Top 3 best pieces of info I have got from this website! Thanks!

Thanks , but a genius I isn't. I learned along time ago to make what I needed and when I see something I just think about what would be the easiest way to replicate it with material I have access too.

JMJ Farms":38jmz4vc said:
Fence, what's your recommendation for the best high tensile fixed knot woven wire? And what post spacing?

I still have to say staytuff is the best. You can certainly get away with 16 feet centers on post.
We usually do 12 on fences we sell, I've got some on 24 with a couple of stays on my place.
Fwiw. Beakert makes a fixed knot not I've used a few times. It is very similar to staytuff, but much cheaper. It would get my nod for best value.

Thanks Fence, I will check on the staytuff. I know I can get beakert. Don't know about staytuff but I will see. Are you satisfied with the 24' centers and the stays?

fence4.jpg

fence3.jpg

fence2.jpg

fence1.jpg

I hate it when the sherriff calls on this ..6 cows out n the highway....im an hr away at work. he got em in but took me 5 hrs to fix. that's a11 ft pole 14'' around almost at the corner. 5 ft deep. the other 8''poles ..all I had were 10 ftrs. hated to use em for that but had to get it done. guy who did it calls me the next day. young kid wants to make it right. gonna mail me 150 bucks for materials he says..

well thanks fella but a phone call woudve been nice the day ya did it.

Was he drunk? Or what was his explanation for not calling? Brace must've been nailed good bc it looked like he missed the corner post but it still pulled it over.

Ever use any fence post foam. Saw some guys using it today on a chain link fence. Can't see me doing it, but it was neat.

Latest posts