fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man":zjqnrehp said:
Rafter S":zjqnrehp said:
ez14":zjqnrehp said:
i dont understand What im looking at it looks like the posts arent in the ground so you could turn your fence on its side and go through? Or maybe you unhook it from one side and roll it up and the poles just keep it from sagging?

I've pretty much gotten all mine replaced with pipe gates.

You can't hide money. :D

I wouldn't know. I've never had enough of it to worry about. Those red pipe gates don't cost much.

Bigfoot":mup1n7wn said:
I did something today, that I bet a bunch of yaw have done, but I had never tried. I drove two wooden post with my FEL. I sharpened the end with a chainsaw, and just had at it. Ground is soft this time of year here. Doubt it work at all if the ground was even a little dry. Post were as tight, as if I had set them in concrete.

To drive tpost with fel. Cut a piece of 23/8 pipe to grade. Say 41/2 foot. Weld a piece of steel plate over top. Weld a piece of steel plate say 6" square over bottom. Use a torch to cut hole in bottom plate, giving access to pipe.
Slide the pipe over post. Push in with fel. Pipe will help keep you from bending post and bottom plate will stop you on perfect grade.
We fill the bucket with post and back down the line. With practice you can put em in at almost a steady walk.

Be aware of man on the ground spotting the post. Put a hard hat on him and don't push till he's clear

Everything I do in life, is like rubbing two sticks together to start a fire. I'm using one of these, stuffed in a milk crate to carry my fencing tools. It seems to not turn over as easy as a bucket. Anybody using something more creative?

callmefence":g9g3qw8l said:
I'm with 5 only my buckets white.
I can hear my own employees ribbing me about my man purse.... ;-) :cboy: :hide:
Your big in to those man purses :hide: :lol:

Growing up I don't think there was a gate anywhere. All everyone had were the wire gaps. Most built by some stout dude that weighed 280 and it would take 3 of us young skinny squirts to stand one up and put the wire over the post.

Hippie Rancher":i4flsf49 said:
Bigfoot":i4flsf49 said:
I call this a wire gap. I wouldn't put one anywhere I needed in and out a lot. This'n will probably only be opened 8 or 10 times year. Anybody (including this new "fence" guy) got a better design?

We call those "Texas gates" :D

We call them Arkansas gaps.

I had a hefty tornado come through 10 years ago. If I'm not mistaken, I lost 54 gates in that storm. It made me real conscious about what I spend on little things. The little things add up. I haven't counted my gates, but I bet I have more than 54 now. I stick those anywhere I'm not in and out a lot.

TexasBred":1drm2l7p said:
Growing up I don't think there was a gate anywhere. All everyone had were the wire gaps. Most built by some stout dude that weighed 280 and it would take 3 of us young skinny squirts to stand one up and put the wire over the post.
Seems like they get harder to close over time. I've got 3 of them (I built all 3) every time I close one i think who was the muscled up sucker that built this thing?

hillbillyhammer":20p2v92i said:
TexasBred":20p2v92i said:
Seems like they get harder to close over time. I've got 3 of them (I built all 3) every time I close one i think who was the muscled up sucker that built this thing?

You need a little help take a two foot long stick and attach it to the gate post with wire and use as a lever to tighten gate and then put the loop over the gate post. Leave it in place and use it each time even helps in opening the gate.

Latest posts