fence post

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

found a guy who says he can get me fence post for 400 a bundle out of the carolinas claims they are treated and good post but ! there will be all shape an sizes ,could be 3inch to 8 inch and usually 45 to 60 in a bundle all 8 ft long
will these be a good deal or buyer beware ? just trying get everyones thoughts on these or if anyone has ever bought post this way ? :help:

An average of 52 posts per bundle is $7.70 each. That's a retail price for a 4-5" X 7' post.
Depends how many are 3" and how many are bigger diameter.

If there is an active plywood making plant in his area they may be "peeler cores". That's what's left after the wood has been shaved off to make plywood. If they are pressure treated and not just dipped they will last a long time.

callmefence":1fjf9i9n said:
I would say buyer beware.
Fwiw were paying 1.00 a foot for good heavy pipe post.
I was just going to ask you what you pay for your pipe but i guess i dont have to now

the guy said it is post manufacture , the man who runs the truck an hauls for him said some may not be perfectly straight but they are treated post an the yard he picks them up at covers around 10 acres but if you want his better post you would be as well off price wise to get them close to home an haul them yourself .i will get a look at a bundle tomorow hopefully he brought 2 bundle up this trip ,said he only hauls them when he needs to fill out a load an theres waiting list,claims he really dont make much off the post,and he wont bring just a load of post ,for that reason ,he hauls landscape material up from the south for small green houses an landscapers !

msplmtneer":1locinkz said:
If they are peeler cores the treatment will not penetrate very deep because heartwood doesn't treat and that is what peeler cores are heartwood. Peeler cores are what they use to make landscape timbers out of and also most of the 4x4s.
We used to get them from a plant that had a huge what looked like an autoclave. They teated them under pressure or vacuum, not sure which. When you cut the end off the color (green) penetrated all but the very center half inch or so. The places that just soaked (dipped) them the stuff barely got past the outer layer.

well for line post with high tensile for the price thought id give them a try some dont look like they got treatment all the way through maybe 10 % looks like at least 10 outa bundle are 3-3.5 and the rest are up to 7.5 all are 8ft .

seen metal pipe rust out break off then you have dig up whats left only time seen it last is in concrete .
the price for compareable post here is a lot higher so i may be replaceing these in 7-10 yrs oh by then maybe i will hit the lotto !

A method I use on light poles after I cut them is to use Bull(wet dry roofing cement) to build a cap on it. It will stop water from getting in. you can buy in at any box store and a 3 gal bucket is around 30 bucks. I use a rubber glove and just wipe it on and a couple inch's down the side. The poles I get are broken ones and real old ones , I have a few with wood pecker holes in them so I fill that with the bull also,

They look better than the peeler cores I used to treat, the ones I treated peeled down to the heartwood.
I worked for a pressure treating company for 17 years and was the treater for 6 years and we had a auto clave that was 84 ft by 6 ft, when we treated peeler cores we would set the cycle to run up to 150 lbs pressure then shut off. Other lumber would stay on pressure longer depending on size.

A method I use on light poles after I cut them is to use Bull(wet dry roofing cement) to build a cap on it.
Dash-Thanks for the info. I always either cut at a steep angle sloping down so snow/rain goes off or a metal cap. Maybe this will do better.

cattle60":1bivcfbj said:
A method I use on light poles after I cut them is to use Bull(wet dry roofing cement) to build a cap on it.
Dash-Thanks for the info. I always either cut at a steep angle sloping down so snow/rain goes off or a metal cap. Maybe this will do better.

its" quick and dirty "just how I like it

cattle60":2sgjrhlh said:
Getting ready to start building a new working pen with telephone poles will try it on them

They're heavy. Require big holes. Really hoping your don't have a fire like I did. Mine were great until the fire. It started on a neighbor's place 3/4 of a mile away. Now I use nothing but steel.

mooo":1l38q22n said:
,he hauls landscape material up from the south for small green houses an landscapers !

What state in the south? Have a friend who manufactures landscape mulch and has a post treating plant. Just wondering.

Latest posts