Fence jumpers - need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

With the price that beef breed cattle are bringing and the price a longhorn brings, why would anyone want to raise longhorns. The people around here that raises them are the one that have more money than sense. :???:

cowboy43":2l4mrqvs said:
With the price that beef breed cattle are bringing and the price a longhorn brings, why would anyone want to raise longhorns. The people around here that raises them are the one that have more money than sense. :???:
Because they want to. Pretty much the same reason anyone does anything.

I've seen some people say the same thing about any non-Angus influenced breed or cross.
Seen the same thing said about any horned breed or cross.

Yup the reason why the longhorns brings low prices because they are junk, hobby-bred and poor quality. I've seen some nice quality & beefier longhorns here that I would love to own but of course they are expensive.

cowboy43":1oqc4wo4 said:

I don't raise them, but I'm glad other people do. I like using them on my Brangus heifers for the first calf; the heifers sneeze and the calves pop out. I only keep a few heifers every year (maybe a dozen), so I can't justify spending $3000 for an Angus when I can get a Longhorn yearling for $800 to do the same thing. Especially since I sell the calves from heifers when they're 60 - 90 days old, and at that age I don't see much difference in price. If I remember right the last batch averaged $425.

Rafter S":33w2n7ol said:
cowboy43":33w2n7ol said:

I don't raise them, but I'm glad other people do. I like using them on my Brangus heifers for the first calf; the heifers sneeze and the calves pop out. I only keep a few heifers every year (maybe a dozen), so I can't justify spending $3000 for an Angus when I can get a Longhorn yearling for $800 to do the same thing. Especially since I sell the calves from heifers when they're 60 - 90 days old, and at that age I don't see much difference in price. If I remember right the last batch averaged $425.
I'm really glad that the longhorn bulls bred on other people's heifers and not my heifers.....but really? You sell the calves when they are 60-90 days old???? :shock:

cowboy43":iwldloc4 said:

Everyone to their own opinion... :)

We sell our weaned calves to private individuals for a variety of reasons between $500 and $1500. On a rare occasion, we sell an idiot calf to sale barn for probably $150 to $300. Our yearling and older breeding animals (depending on pedigree and appearance and track record) are sold between $1500 and $10,000 to other breeders. We also slaughter between 9 and 12 yearlings a year for USDA freezer beef that we sell at Farmer's Markets ranging between $6.00 and $19.50 a pound as natural, grass fed beef (per USDA standards). We also do pretty good leasing some of our bulls (to commercial ranchers) as well as selling semen from registered, A.I. certified bulls.

Yes, it works for us. Not everybody breeds, raises, and sells "cookie-cutter" same color animals. Not knocking the other breeds in any way...those are needed to supply the thousands of grocery stores and "average" restaurants.

Every breed has their place in the market, but there is a reason why the longhorns aren't competitors with majority of beef breeds (lean or not).

Taurus":mvf0du9p said:
Rafter S":mvf0du9p said:
cowboy43":mvf0du9p said:

I'm really glad that the longhorn bulls bred on other people's heifers and not my heifers.....but really? You sell the calves when they are 60-90 days old???? :shock:

First calf only on two-year old heifers, yes I do. The heifers will usually breed back within a week, and they can finish growing without the calf pulling them down. I may lose a few dollars on that first calf, but I believe the cow will make it up later. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's asking a lot of a two-year old heifer to grow out a calf and breed back on time while she's still growing herself.

By the way, the steers off my older cows (and I raised almost all those cows myself and sold their first calves before they were 90 days old) averaged $980.00 this year. And that's weaning them in the trailer on the way to the sale barn. I must be doing something right.

Taurus":w0238yo0 said:
Yup the reason why the longhorns brings low prices because they are junk, hobby-bred and poor quality. I've seen some nice quality & beefier longhorns here that I would love to own but of course they are expensive.

The "serious" Longhorn breeders do not raise and keep junk.

If you want to see some of our "well fed" Longhorns, please go to our website.

Taurus":kbz7o4q7 said:
Every breed has their place in the market, but there is a reason why the longhorns aren't competitors with majority of beef breeds (lean or not).

Longhorns don't even try to compete with other breeds. Same holds true for different breeds of other cattle "competing" with other colors of cattle. Same is true of Bison. Every breed of anything has its place in the Big Picture. :cowboy:

Rafter S":3fi6jig7 said:
First calf only on two-year old heifers, yes I do. The heifers will usually breed back within a week, and they can finish growing without the calf pulling them down. I may lose a few dollars on that first calf, but I believe the cow will make it up later. Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's asking a lot of a two-year old heifer to grow out a calf and breed back on time while she's still growing herself.
:shock: I don't know how to comment on this.....but to each their own.

I know a guy who makes pretty good money running LH cows with Angus bull. Finishes them out and sell freezer beef. He said he likes LHs because he can buy them cheap.

I have ate his steaks and they are very good. He has a loyal customer base.

HDRider":37yez0nh said:
I know a guy who makes pretty good money running LH cows with Angus bull. Finishes them out and sell freezer beef. He said he likes LHs because he can buy them cheap.

I have ate his steaks and they are very good. He has a loyal customer base.
Bet the Angus bull was huge help. ;-)

Tim/South":1xcu4esu said:
cowboy43":1xcu4esu said:
Because they want to. Pretty much the same reason anyone does anything.
:nod: :clap: :nod: :clap: :clap: :bang:

Ill say it...

My Brangus or Brahman type cattle wouldn't stay in 5' tall cattle pens for 2 min. :D As for jumping the barbed wire fence... depends whats on the other side.

The reality is once they start jumping you have to get rid of them. Don't set yourself... or your animals up to fail... that is one of the first lessons you will learn. There are things that will create fence jumpers and there are fence jumpers that will jump no matter what you do. Know the difference.

ive got a pipe corral thats 6ft tall.an years ago we was moving a polled hereford bull to another paster.so we put him in the corral to load.had him in the pen going up the chute.an he was trying to flat foot jump out of the pen an almost made it.

I would probably sell as well, but a bull can be broke from this. Put a ring in the nose and about 5 to 6 feet of chain on the ring. Worked for us on a young bull. From the sound of things this might be hard for you to do. Our bull eventually lost the chain but never jumped another fence.

brimmer X":w755ylhw said:
I would probably sell as well, but a bull can be broke from this. Put a ring in the nose and about 5 to 6 feet of chain on the ring. Worked for us on a young bull. From the sound of things this might be hard for you to do. Our bull eventually lost the chain but never jumped another fence.
It would be nice if it wasn't for the fact that this bull is infertile....

Latest posts