Fence jumpers - need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

sudonsan

Reaction score
My husband and I are fairly new to cattle and have a serious problem for which advice from those who know is needed and appreciated.

We purchased some purebred longhorns 5 years ago - and decided to switch to registered about a year ago. We were pretty sure that our purebred bull was infertile [as we'd had no calves] but decided to get him fertility tested to make certain he could not impregnate our registered. Penned him - he jumped out of the pen.

Hired someone to rope and band him.

Moving our purebreds to a new property. Hadn't tried to pen or load him but had him in a separate pasture [with a heifer and a calf] from the other cattle.

Went out today - he'd jumped back in [pulling down the top wire] and the other two followed him.

We've come to terms with removing him, but now we can't find a processor who can handle his horns [much less the fence jumping] so wondering what to do.

Thinking, since it is finally getting cooler in Texas, we may have to shoot him ourselves, and field dress [my husband has field dressed deer, me nothing] but thinking this is a major task? Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Now, the heifer is pregnant and we had planned to sell her - but hesitate now that she has jumped - to pass that on to someone else. Thinking after we wean her calf, processing her - again probably us having to field dress.

The calf is already being raised to process so he won't be someone else's problem, and his horns won't be an issue due to age.

Thanks for any information!

Helped a woman for a year that had some Longhorns had to build the catch pens higher they would jump out like deer she wound up getting a local guy to pick them up and kill them somehow he may have done it on the trailer so you may ask around it can be done. he couldn't head shoot it because the head was worth twice as much as the animal.

yes just haul them to the sale barn an be done with it.fence jumpers wont cause you nothing but probs.

X4 on the sale barn. Unless you wanna build high fence....
You might get lucky and the heifer won't jump anymore... I've seen cows jump when pushed too hard, and then never do it again.

We are 100% on the bull - however, how do you get him to the sale barn - and won't he jump out there?

At this point, shooting him in the head is not an issue - got to get him gone. Field dressing would just be to try to get some good out of him. Longhorn ground beef sales for $5-6 a pound. However, we are guessing going through the hide would take some knives

Should we just shoot him and be done with it?

sudonsan":3f9y1gw5 said:
We are 100% on the bull - however, how do you get him to the sale barn - and won't he jump out there?

At this point, shooting him in the head is not an issue - got to get him gone. Field dressing would just be to try to get some good out of him. Longhorn ground beef sales for $5-6 a pound. However, we are guessing going through the hide would take some knives

Should we just shoot him and be done with it?
Doesn;t matter if he jumps out there, that;s the salebarns problem

I'll put up with a lot of crap but fence breakers isn't one of the things I'll tolerate more than once. Sell it or keep it, but if it gets out one time too many, somebody else will solve your problem for you---assuming it doesn't walk out in front of a vehicle first. Your problem will be solved then but you can be held financially liable since you are already aware this one gets out. If you are in Texas, read and understand your county's stock law.

You need to try to get someone with experience, and a COVERED trailer to load and haul him to the salebarn.
Pay 'em and say good riddance or split the barn check with them--just get him gone.
Once he's unloaded,he's barn's problem---they're used to it.

Butchering cattle isn't like field dressing a deer--gonna have your hands full unless you have something big enough to handle all that dead weight with.

greybeard":3bztp4co said:
I'll put up with a lot of crap but fence breakers isn't one of the things I'll tolerate more than once. Sell it or keep it, but if it gets out one time too many, somebody else will solve your problem for you---assuming it doesn't walk out in front of a vehicle first. Your problem will be solved then but you can be held financially liable since you are already aware this one gets out. If you are in Texas, read and understand your county's stock law.

You need to try to get someone with experience, and a COVERED trailer to load and haul him to the salebarn.
Pay 'em and say good riddance or split the barn check with them--just get him gone.

Butchering cattle isn't like field dressing a deer--gonna have your hands full unless you have something big enough to handle all that dead weight with.

I am with you on one that gets out by jumping or going through a fence here it gets three chances first last and only.
They just bought a ticket to the salebarn .

Caustic Burno":32m7cyf7 said:
greybeard":32m7cyf7 said:

I am with you on one that gets out by jumping or going through a fence here it gets three chances first last and only.
They just bought a ticket to the salebarn .

Amen,Brother Burno and Brother Beard! :clap:

Pen?

Is this solid board pen to six feet high with a rail on top making it about seven feet or simply a wire enclosure?

We run wire everywhere but the handling system - pressure can stir up even the quietest animal.

Solid walls keeps them in - the rail on top of the board fence prevents the boards from breaking if they try to go over - the system has to be solid enough to withstand a 2000 pound animal trying to get over.

Wire pens are simply an accident waiting to happen.

As for catching the animals - never put the water in an area they can freely access - put it in the handling system.

They can go without food for days but need water at all times.

When they come in - which they will do every day - you catch them.

Good luck to you

Bez

Call the sale barn and they will send someone to come and get him. They will charge you a fee but in your situation it will be worth it.

The pressure part - we gave him the benefit of the doubt - 5 foot pen with open panels. This time he jumped a 5 strand barbed wire fence - pulled down the top wire which the other two jumped. I have heard jumpers can teach others to jump - can't have that.

There is no question he is gone - just how. Will check out the sale barn.

Trying to learn the cattle thing after being a city girl!!!

Thanks for all of your help!

as said call them an tell them you got a bull you cant pen an load.an they will send some1 out with a horse an rope the bull in the pasture an dragg or pull him into the trailer.

Agree with the others! Fence jumpers or fence crashers will not get better. They will also teach the others. We had one several years ago...escaped into a neighbor's pasture. Called the sale barn and they sent 2 cowboys on horses and roped her and went direct to sale barn...cost $150. Priceless...

There are "TOO MANY" sane, tame, non-psychotic Longhorns out there to mess with an idiot! Same true for other breeds. One that jumps must be hauled in an enclosed trailer...nuff said. Also, some problem animals are identified when they are calves...restless, pacing, messing with a fence, etc. Those should go to sale barn before they become a serious problem...

Hope you get the problem solved without too much grief! :)

Many years ago we had a local processor who would come out, shoot, load then process a beef. Not certain they can get by with that now days.
I agree with the others to call the sale barn and let them handle it.

Latest posts