Feet Issues in the Angus Breed

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I just finished writing a blog concerning feet in the Angus breed. I sure don't consider myself a writer, but this is an issue that has really been bothering me. I guess for me it is about love of the Angus breed and when I see something that could do the breed damage it bothers me. So I have decided to be proactive. So please check out the content, not the grammar or sentence structure!

http://gizmoangus.blogspot.com/#.V3HY4xAtLb4.facebook

gizmom

That's a good article. I would like to see the pictures on how to score an animals feet. We haven't had any issues besides foot rot that I'm aware of.

A good blog and addresses one issue I have seen a lot of both in the Angus and Hereford breeds along with several others. I was recently told about a local vet who recently added a new wing onto his vet clinic. He named it after a prominent Angus breeder who many in this region travel many miles to buy both bulls and females from because of their reputation especially for carcass cattle. The vet says he made enough money off of trimming bulls bought at this ranch's sale and also their progeny to build and pay for the wing. As one commercial breeder put it he paid too much for the bulls he bought there to just take the hit. The sad part is what is happening to the herds when these bulls female progeny are retained. I also recently saw a polled Hereford I liked and thought my search for one had ended. He was ouchy and I inquired why and was told that the foot trimmer had just made his regular scheduled stop and had trimmed his feet. Said he was sound as long as you kept his feet trimmed regularly. I'm talking about a 18 month old bull. I looked at his feet and then moved on. Another genetic defect I'm seeing breeders being accepting of is hernias. Again I eliminate any bull that has had one when I find out. Feet and soundness are too areas that have been ignored in the quest of breeders for excellent BW and carcass EPD's.

footscoreposter.pdf this is on the angus website not sure I did the link right.

Gizmom, I think your right, there is a problem and no doubt your doing the right thing, take em out of the gene pool.
I don't know that it's all genetic, or a combination of genetics and the way there fed and pushed. Nobody puts it out there, what bulls are folks having issues with, what cow families? When animals are culled and you put feet issues for the reason, the AAA could figure out what animals continue to do this, but they are not gonna hammer the big players, like the guy with the vet wing.
Was the 2 heifers the only ones out of that flush? If I had 10 and 2 bad maybe I'm not upset but if it's 2 for 2 or 3, I've got an issue with those folks.

Should a breeder be flushing a cow and selling embryos if the cow has bad feet?
A breeder? No. A replicator or multiplier: apparently yes and that is the problem.

We equate numbers of head in a herd as an indicator of a source for the best cattle is the numbers are high or many. Not the case.

There are genetics that are deemed worth more or extremes because they are rare, old and limited. Often there are reasons that folks quit using those cattle or that semen 30 years ago.

We see high EPDs or larger EPDs than out cattle to be progress. The chasing of "better" EPDs have caused some of the foot issues, udder issues, fertility issues, disposition issues, ... issues because the seeking of numbers in EPDs skews the judgment of the overall animal.

We equate quick generational turnover as best for progress. Yet we seek the old and proven bulls and cows to stabilize the mess that is made when the quick turn over creates bigger problems than they fix.

We have been brainwashed (or the attempt has been made) to tell us the bull on the other side of the property line fence is better than what we raise. Every introduction of outside genetics has the same potential to bring in good traits as it does to bring in bad traits.

Ebenezer

If you were selecting a bull and the two you had to choose from one is a DD carrier the other has bad feet which one would you pick? With all the advancements in DNA you would think they could find a marker for bad feet is it a defect I would say yes can it be identified through DNA you would have to ask someone with a whole lot more knowledge about DNA markers than what I have.

Gizmom

gizmom":wlopnngp said:
I just finished writing a blog concerning feet in the Angus breed. I sure don't consider myself a writer, but this is an issue that has really been bothering me. I guess for me itis about love of the Angus breed and when I see something that could do the breed damage it bothers me. So I have decided to be proactive. So please check out the content, not the grammar or sentence structure!

http://gizmoangus.blogspot.com/#.V3HY4xAtLb4.facebook

gizmom
It seems to me that the problem is with the breeders, not the Breed.

gizmom":2bbinfml said:
Ebenezer

If you were selecting a bull and the two you had to choose from one is a DD carrier the other has bad feet which one would you pick? With all the advancements in DNA you would think they could find a marker for bad feet is it a defect I would say yes can it be identified through DNA you would have to ask someone with a whole lot more knowledge about DNA markers than what I have.

Gizmom
It depends on what I was breeding for. I will never use a bull known for bad feet. I chunked what I had unknowingly when I saw the bred heifers. They went as culled animals. I have some semen in the tank of a highly promoted bull that can sire animals that founder easy on hot feed. I just do not have the guts to use it and that is an environmental fault that I will not experience here. There were a few other minor unspokens on the bull that also bother me so it is not a one trait issue.

If the DDC bull was great fit here and I wanted a son to use, I would use him, breed extra cows, test the calves, cull the carriers as sale barn cattle and see if a DDF son or two pans out. I have some DDC semen and they make great growth cattle. I just do not need that right now but would use it again and expect cattle that would tickle the eye of any commercial breeder who comes by.

Good blog gizmon. I agree the foot problems are a big problem and I think it will take a while to correct it, probably years. I do wonder about the foot scoring system as far as will people be honest about their cattle?

When I buy animals I always want to visualize the animal for feet and then study pedigree for any animal who is known for bad feet. If I see one I scratch that animal out.

EB

I agree I would use a DD positive bull before one with bad structure, but I think bad feet/structure has a much worse economic impact than a DD bull.

Carlos

I know we cull for bad feet, I can't speak for every breeder, I do know the boss believes all hoof trimming should be done right behind the ears.

Gizmom

Thank you for the information. I have seen feet issues in other breeds as well, but in recent years, it seems more prevalent in Angus, probably because Angus are what I see the most of. I didn't realize until recently that it was as much of an issue, and admittedly didn't pay enough attention to feet when buying cattle. I first had a brush when I had a purchased bull with foot rot. The vet commented on his leg structure, I sold the bull, and then started looking at my cows, I just have a few registered cows, and now have considered 2 of them commercial only, because of their feet. One is a daughter of the other, and their calves have had feet problems too. I feel it is very inheritable. I am fattening a young bull out of one of them now, and he has very noticeable difficulty walking at this point.

Latest posts