feedlot pregnancy

Help Support CattleToday:

Sirloin2, I'm only a greenhorn, only maybe banded couple thousand. :nod: Takes me? a minute maybe 2. To be honest probably 10-15 seconds :cowboy:
Of all the newborns I've banded, only had 1 :shock: That could only find 1.
I think I will go with the odds. :cowboy:

SL you are trying to educate Keren ...LMFAO... :lol2:

Never ever gonna happen, she graduated in the 10 percent of her Uni program (if I remember correctly)..She is one smart cookie,,, and although young, she also owns and shows one of the best Murry Grey herds in Australia..

BTW, banding is a one WOMAN operation here.. ;-) So is tattooing and tagging, sorting ,feeding, sometimes AI'ing etc... :cowboy:

We have it down to about a 5 minute operation; grab calf, flank calf, if momma is snorty give momma a good rip across the nose with the sorting stick, pull nuts down and use clamp to hold them, apply band, vaccinate for C&D Toxin, b complex shot, eartag, kick him loose 3 to 5 minutes tops have not missed a single nut in 3 years.

I think ole Sirloin just likes fondling nuts for a few days.

SirLoin2":6xgc9dzk said:
For you people who are claiming to band a new born in minutes, listen up.
You are leaving out one important step!
In the times you are claiming you couldn't even find the new born if your horse was already saddled or your 4 wheeler was already running.

Fact! There is no way you can go into a field, find the new born and band him in less time then it takes me to cut a 600 lber already in the chute!
SL

What the he[[ are you smoking. Where do you get these answers?

3waycross":31sibg77 said:
SirLoin2":31sibg77 said:
In the times you are claiming you couldn't even find the new born if your horse was already saddled or your 4 wheeler was already running.

Fact! There is no way you can go into a field, find the new born and band him in less time then it takes me to cut a 600 lber already in the chute!
SL

What the he[[ are you smoking. Where do you get these answers?

Obviously the same schitt he was smoking the last time before he was banned. Still full of the same self-righteous b.s. The self-appointed King of Cut-and-Paste.

It's called multi-tasking.

That's why they make them rubber rings awfy wee, so you can slip them into your pocket or bra-pouch before heading out to see what 106 had and tag/navel-dip &c.

My opinion for what is worth is that poorly banded calves are probably not a huge part of this problem. Odds are a short sacked bull will be considerably less fertile than an intact bull. More likely the biggest part of this problem is caused by yearling bulls running with their sisters. I regularly see yearling intact bulls at the sale yard. If you pay attention most days a group of heifers that match those bulls will come through. Of course with the way cattle move in this day, the bulls will go one way and the heifers might end up three states over. Nobody at that end has a clue that those heifers were running with a bunch of bulls.

SL, THANK YOU so much for educating me about the cattle industry :tiphat: I never would have understood what a 'proven' female is without your help :roll:

Not that you will believe it, but I am 150cm tall, 50kg and female, and yes, interestingly enough I can go out to the paddock BY MYSELF and weigh, tag, tattoo, naval dip and band a calf.

thanks hills, I recently graduated with distinction and a gpa of 6.0 from my uni course, probably could have done better if I went to class more and didnt work cattle so much lol now I'm doing an honours year. But I should mention that I dont own the MGs ... my adopted family do. At one point in the not too distant future I will most likely purchase a few from the herd to put in my name and build up a little stud. But like aussie, I havent been born into the industry or born into money, and in this country that significantly limits your options. People who arent born into the business or money, basically have no feasible way of obtaining a commercial sized property (1000+ acres). The only way you get one of these properties is to inherit it. Which limits people like us to 100 or 200 acre blocks, and hobby herds. Doesnt mean that things wont be done properly; many people would class our MGs as a hobby herd, only 100 odd females at the moment, but they are being recognised at shows as some of the best in the area.

SirLoin2":1hg3qv7y said:

SL

If for the banding method, you are going to count driving the horse, four wheeler or ute (in my case) out to the paddock to locate the cow and calf, in your overall time it takes, then for your cutting method you need to count the time it takes to muster the cattle and run them up the race into the chute. FWIW, when I'm working those calves in the chute, it takes me less time to put a band on than it does to cut them out, plus I can band all year round. And there's less mess to clean up.

Is it bad I couldn't wait until Keren posted her reply?

Mind, you have to work hard to even get 100-200 acres. So it's pretty much kids or a farm :lol2:

Banding a calf in the paddock SL is not hard. I like to check herds everyday if I can so it's not really extra time getting the bike or the ute out. It also gives you a more accurate identification system if you are tagging them and identifying their mothers at birth.

We bring all the cows who have calved into the barn for 24 hours as soon as the calf drops (we check every 2 hours). The calf gets to rest for a while depending on when it was born. The calf then gets shots, weighed, tagged, and if need be, banded. The process takes 5 minutes tops, and I have yet to not get both in the band.

Latest posts