Feedlot Calf - sickly since we got her

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan":3aoqoohr said:
I would say the same as far as electrolytes and keeping her hydrated. The vet should be the best source of advice since you've already been there. If she is from a feedlot heifer, then she has alot going against her so it is not a good place to start. Unless they are basically free, I would be hesitant to get calves there. I spent a ton of time and money when I was first raising calves, by getting the ones that were less than healthy and in the long run it is seldom worth it.. I am a big believer in Vit B as an appetite stimulant also. I'd say quit the milk but if she is not eating much grain then I don't know. I usually always start them on a "sweet feed" also. Plain oats won't entice her like a molasses type feed. Good luck with her.

LOL!!! Sweet feed is all I feed my animal family! We purchased 5 babies from the feedlot at the same time. The bull calf seemed ok the night we brought them home (he was 6 days old). On day 8 he was laying down in his house and would not get up for bucket breakfast ... by afternoon he was in the vet clinic on IV fluids. He died during the night :(

Dolly is sickly a lot... and Reba, Loretta and Kitty are all thriving :)

I, too, think we should just pull her off the milk!

DATorrie":1z0tfaqy said:
TCRanch":1z0tfaqy said:
Poor baby! Glad she's been treated by a vet. I'll give a slow calf a shot of Vitamin B Complex for energy but not sure it will help in this case. Is she dehydrated? May need electrolytes. Good luck!

Thank you! :)
She has been on electrolytes as soon as she goes off her bottle/bucket. I do not force or drench her .. I let her take her time getting it down.
Dolly sees a vet at least once a week... sometimes for a problem and sometimes the vet just 'pops' in to see how she is doing.
Well she's getting the best care possible. And I also have a Dolly :D

Dolly, Loretta, Reba, and Kitty. I like the names. What was the bull calf's name? Hank? George? Maybe Ernest?

And Patsy would be my choice for the next heifer, in case you're interested in suggestions.

Im so sorry, it's so sad to think how many feedlot babies suffer with this! First off, I am glad you havent given up on her! Keeping her hydrated is so important. I have had to implement ideas on my calf I got at 5 weeks when mom passed. (luckily he had colostrum) One thing tho...colostrum will not work after the first 48 hrs of life, so just wasted money!
If u think she is dehydrated , punch her skin. if skin goes right back down she isnt dehydrated. If it slowly goes down or stays in a tint form. she need fluids ASAP. If u are comfortable giving subq (under skin) fluids, ask vet for some lactated ringers to have on hand and tell vet weight so he can tell you how much subq fluids to give. Try to get her eating any kind of sweet cob. Purina make a startena cob that is very sweet and high in protein. If she isnt eating well, I have found giving a paste ofhttps://www.scahealth.com/scah/produc ... supplement works wonders! Well worth buying. Also, give probiotics in paste form. This helps develop the rumen better.

UPDATE: Dolly was placed on electrolytes for 6 feedings (3 times a day) ... she only took small amounts at a time, but I was persistent and patient enough to wait it out (almost an hour to drink a litre). We also gave her a vit B shot on Thursday (yesterday). This morning Dolly was looking for her bucket of milk, but I only gave her 1 litre to start (and again it took an hour to get it in :) )
I am wondering with her facial paralysis (left side) if this 'could' be affecting her ability to swallow... seems to swallow and then coughs.

Dolly is a tough little girl! Sometimes bottle calves get it down the wrong tube, causing them to cough. But I'm curious what your vet has to say about the paralysis. BTW I believe Stocker Steve mentioned paste for sluggish calves; we use Nursemate ASAP. You're doing great!

Your little calf is very lucky to have you working "for her" so hard. I would think that the paralysis is probably affecting the bottle drinking. I would keep the electrolytes in her drinking water all the time while you are trying to get her "doing better".. It won't hurt her at this point and may help to keep her energy up and her hydration better. Good luck as the longer she keeps going the better she might be able to "outgrow" some of her difficulties.

Sounds like you are trying hard to keep this calf going. Good for you if you can afford it. We all say don't waste your money, but then we pretty much all do it ourselves anyway. When you have a live calf, it's soooo hard to give up.
B-12 is great advice. I would also load her up with Probias (good bugs). You can buy it at a local TSC or maybe a feed store. Also, sweet feed as suggested. Does she run a fever?
Colostrum is tested by drawing blood. No, it is not a death sentence, but no or low colostrum sets them up for potential health issues for the rest of their calfhood life.
Not real sure what you meant when you said you purchased from a feedlot, but as others stated, that sounds like you bought calves out of mistaken bred feedlot heifers - and no, that is NEVER a good place to buy calves.