Who is responsible for heifer's pregnancy if it got into a pasture with neighboring bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

GaGa

Reaction score
I have two neighbors. One has longhorn cattle, one has Devon's. We reside in Oklahome and just had a major storm yesterday that flooded the entire county and took down a small section of fence between these two neighbors! The Devon cattle, one heifer that is in season, got across into the longhorn pasture where a young year old bull is. The Devon owner is livid and stating that she will make the longhorn owner pay half for the termination of the calf of the heifer is pregnant?

It will only cost 2 dollars to terminate (shot of lute in 10 days) I would go ahead and get a lawyer this will probably get out of hand.

Tell her to grow up and shut up shyt happens. As you stated there was a storm so it was an act of God.
I would love to hear the ass eating if this came up before our old JP

What???? Couple years ago our neighbors bull went through the fence & bred 4 of our heifers. We paid for the vet to come out, preg check & subsequently Lute them. The bulls owner offered to pay but we declined - we would rather remain good neighbors and he did fix the fence, including adding a hot wire. I suggest the Devon owner get a life & be thankful there wasn't any more damage from the storm.

The neighbors of our 1st time poster are putting the cart before the horse.
I advise that GaGa get in the middle of this dispute and negotiate the following solution.

The owner of the Devon heifer allows nature to take its course and IF she calves with a longhorn calf
THEN sue the longhorns owner to pay for calf support until the calf is 18 months of age.

callmefence":g1fin29w said:
bse":g1fin29w said:
It will only cost 2 dollars to terminate (shot of lute in 10 days) I would go ahead and get a lawyer this will probably get out of hand.

I knew I was getting screwed. My vet charges me 5 dollars.

140 for a bottle here, @ 20 doses to the 100ml thats $7 bux a pop. :?

As I see it no one is at fault here, but the party that wants compensation is being unreasonable. No one could help the natural damage, that caused the cattle to get out.

This wanton hussy of a heifer invaded the longhorns pasture and corrupted this young bull. The LH bull owner can no longer sell the bull as a virgin thus his value has lowered. I believe the heifer owner is liable for this decrease in value.

Dave":edu0h5pu said:
This wanton hussy of a heifer invaded the longhorns pasture and corrupted this young bull. The LH bull owner can no longer sell the bull as a virgin thus his value has lowered. I believe the heifer owner is liable for this decrease in value.

That's an excellent point. I thought of the value of the Longhorn's services, but hadn't considered the decrease in his value.