Feeding My show bull

Help Support CattleToday:

texast

Reaction score
I have a Brahman bull. He will make a year on 3/1/2008. We moved him from the lot with the other show Heifers because they were eating more of the feed and would not allow him to eat.
Well I started him on Purina Show Chow fitters edge as a grower. Its been 3 weeks and he's gone throw 3 50lbs bags. My question is;
Is there something better to find him?
Am I giving him enought time to grow? He's playing catch up at this time so I may be rushing things.
Am I feeding him enough? It ususally takes me about 4 days to through a bag and also I feed him horse Hay Coastal.

Doesn't seem like near enough feed to me. If he weighs 1000 lbs he should be gettin at least 20 lbs per day. Plus all the hay they can eat. And water. They don't eat without water.

Show feed may be different, but I think they let them eat as much as they can. They sure get em fat.

You should post this on the show board you may get better answers.

by what your saying your feeding him 7lbs a day on an as consumed basis.a yearling bull should be eating 1.5 to 2% of his bw.your bull is eating less than 1% of his bw.your bull should be eating 15 to 20lbs of feed a day.3 sacks of feed a week.

Yep you're nearly starving him. Make sure that show feed is a finisher and not a starter. Won't hurt to add some additional steam rolled corn to the feed you put out but he won't do what you want unless you put the feed to him. Many show people get their calves up to 30-35 lbs per day at show time.

Feed, feed, feed. I agree with the previous posts that he needs to be eating a lot more.

Increase the amount of feed you are feeding. Watch his stool to ensure he is not too loose, but if he is tight keep pouring the feed to him. Make sure there is pleanty of water. I would limit the hay a bit, but feed a filler like beat pulp.

And increase it slowly. You don't want to go and dump 20 lbs in front of him right away. Start with 5lbs more than your feeding him now and increase a couple lbs per day. Probably bring it up to 3% of body weight if you are behind.

Thanks for all your replies. I thought I wasn't giving him enough but wasn't sure.I was trying to avoid as much waste as I could. He's behind in weight not as big as I would like a yearling to be so I now know what to do. Pure on the feed. I was told that at Heritage cattle they let them eat til they walk away.

Latest posts