Feeding Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

cloud9cattle":113jvi29 said:
Do I have to feed the mineral under a covered feeder? Or can i use an old feed bunk I have?

I assume you mean loose mineral... I don't think you have to feed it covered but the stuff is high as crap and I don't want anything messing it up or causing any loss like running out of a bunk feeder if it rains so I put enough in old mineral tubs they can eat in one setting and anything else gets put in a hanging mineral feeder I made. I hope that helps

cloud9cattle":5io6i7gf said:
Do I have to feed the mineral under a covered feeder? Or can i use an old feed bunk I have?
I've poured it into those leftover tubs that the molasses supplements come in. Gets wet when it rains but will dry out and you can just break it up again. At least everything is still there. dun has a pic of a mineral feeder he made from a plastic barrel. Maybe he'll re-post it.

Use one similar to the one TT linked.
The big rubber mat lid will eventually tear through or around the bolt hole in the middle. Have a couple I've had to 'rig up' a couple of times. Looked into buying just a new lid, but it was almost as expensive as the whole shooting match.

Lucky_P":2arshohb said:
Use one similar to the one TT linked.
The big rubber mat lid will eventually tear through or around the bolt hole in the middle. Have a couple I've had to 'rig up' a couple of times. Looked into buying just a new lid, but it was almost as expensive as the whole shooting match.

Hadn't thought about that. We've got about 2 years on the one we are using. How long do they usually last? So far I'm not seeing any undo wear.

Thanks for the help! I ended up making one out of a plastic drum and framed it out. Looks pretty sweet. Ill post pics after i snap a few this evening.

put the barrel inside a truck tire , bolt it with a few bolts , and it will last , and the cows cant turn it over , attach a piece of chain to one of the bolts , and you can drag it with a 4 wheeler.

Latest posts