Feeding Mineral

Help Support CattleToday:

cloud9cattle

Reaction score
Just built a mineral feeder and need to know what brand of mineral and what she would be putting out during the summer. Heifers are 450-600 pounds and we are located in central texas near waco. Do you provide mineral year around? Do the cows take to it automatically? Do we need to put it near water? What are the benefits of feeding mineral?
We have sulphor and mineral trace licking blocks out currently.( yellow and red)

I put out a loose mineral year round. I purchase it from our local co-op/Southern States. It is formulated for our geographical area, and the spring mix is higher in Magnesium.

I don't put much faith in those red 'mineral' blocks. Those are more salt than they are mineral.

My cows go to the mineral as they need it. There are times when they eat it like candy and other times when they barely touch the stuff.

Some folks like the name brand stuff, Purina etc.

I would speak to/with cattlemen or suppliers in your area to see what may be appropriate for your situation. As your mineral needs may be very differnt from what mine, here in Virginia, might be.

Katherine

I keep loose mineral out year round and rotate type based on season. I have out Purina Wind & Rain fly control right now. No blocks for me. Each manufacturer does things a little different so read the tags. Also as said above talk to somebody local as needs vary by location.

J&D Cattle":3tdfvv83 said:
I keep loose mineral out year round and rotate type based on season. I have out Purina Wind & Rain fly control right now. No blocks for me. Each manufacturer does things a little different so read the tags. Also as said above talk to somebody local as needs vary by location.
We do the same except we use Vigortone. We also use CTC all year.

We keep minerals out year round too. I use a a blend that is made at the local feed store. I tried the Purina wind & rain, but my cattle didnt seem to like it as well as the other.
I start in March with the minerals WITH fly control, then as soon as the first frost hits, i only use minerals.

Go by Buzzbees in Waco or The Feed Store in Hubbard. They will fix you up. I also prefer Vigortone. Leave it out year round and don't be surprised if the first couple of bags get ate up pretty quick. Sometimes it takes them a while to get their body back in balance.

Also it doesn't need to be near the water. The ground will get beat up around the feeder so move it occasionally. The benefits are that the cows will take in what they need. Sometimes with blocks they can't lick enough to get what they need. The intake will vary at different times of the year. My cows have started using quite a bit again after not eating any when the grass was real strong in March and April.

cloud9cattle":hvf1o2p5 said:
Just built a mineral feeder and need to know what brand of mineral and what she would be putting out during the summer. Heifers are 450-600 pounds and we are located in central texas near waco. Do you provide mineral year around? Do the cows take to it automatically? Do we need to put it near water? What are the benefits of feeding mineral?
We have sulphor and mineral trace licking blocks out currently.( yellow and red)

You're doing the right thing. Most of the trace mineral blocks are 97 percent salt. So a 50 lb block has 1 1/2 pounds of mineral. Just aint enough. Loose mineral is where it is at. They still need salt so using those blocks for salt intake is fine.

I use high mag mineral in the spring. IGR treated mineral in the summer. Just about any type loose mineral in the winter. I am sure there are better mixes available but I have had no problems.

WalnutCrest":ia8xig60 said:
Some mineral has drugs in it. Some doesn't. If you're selling an all-natural product find a good mix that is drug free.
Correct, but you have to specify CTC when you buy the stuff. Most of the minerals don;t have it.

Read the analysis of your mineral before you feed salt with it. The mineral I use is 23% salt and is all you need. Some mineral mixes may not have enough salt. The one I use now is purina wind and rain all season 7 av-4 and it's 15% calcium, 7% phosphorous, 23% salt. I figure they may not get enough mineral if they have free choice salt.

B&M Farms":3q3ocfv7 said:
Read the analysis of your mineral before you feed salt with it. The mineral I use is 23% salt and is all you need. Some mineral mixes may not have enough salt. The one I use now is purina wind and rain all season 7 av-4 and it's 15% calcium, 7% phosphorous, 23% salt. I figure they may not get enough mineral if they have free choice salt.
Been using this mineral as well. Love that it has the Availa 4 in it and cattle consume it well

Latest posts