Feeder and Packer Acceptance of Limousin Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
Where is the acceptance of Limousin cattle as a terminal sire at with feeders and packers. I really like them crossed over Angus influenced cattle. Has anyone seen any more or less acceptability as compared to Charolais or Simmental or Gelbvieh influenced steers and feeder heifers? Please don't turn this into a thread of Limousin cattle are good, bad, ugly or whatever. I want to know where the acceptance is at.

ABrauny":37cavkg0 said:
Where is the acceptance of Limousin cattle as a terminal sire at with feeders and packers. I really like them crossed over Angus influenced cattle. Has anyone seen any more or less acceptability as compared to Charolais or Simmental or Gelbvieh influenced steers and feeder heifers? Please don't turn this into a thread of Limousin cattle are good, bad, ugly or whatever. I want to know where the acceptance is at.

Then you might consider going to the sale barn and asking the order buyers.!

I believe that at least at one time "laura's lean meats" bought double muscled cattle ( limo,BB. Blonde etc type cattle) for the gourmet market.. Would check them out...

ABrauny":25kxad6h said:
They are accepted well here, but I am a long ways from Wisconsin.

The one down side I have heard from a feeder was that the Tyson plant has a horizontal height bar. Any steers tall enough to tough that bar with their back while passing under it get rejected and shipped back to you. This feeder had an issue with some Limos getting too tall and thus rejected. I am sure that there are other cattle that get rejected too but he mentioned that he has had an issue with this in some of the Limos he fed out.

The Limousin cross cattle have ready acceptance because of their red meat yield. Purebred cattle not so much (that is true for most all of the continental breeds).

Red Bull Breeder":qc7mufw5 said:
Thats pure BS dave. National average size for a mature limousin cow is 1200 lb.

Just stating what I was told. But personally saying that the national average size of mature limo cows is 1,200 pounds sounds like BS to me. I very very rarely see a limo cow who is in any kind of flesh that is that 1,200 let alone an average. At least around here the average is more like 1,500 pounds with lots of 1,600-1,700 pounders out there.

Dave":12zm7y8a said:
Red Bull Breeder":12zm7y8a said:
Thats pure BS dave. National average size for a mature limousin cow is 1200 lb.

Just stating what I was told. But personally saying that the national average size of mature limo cows is 1,200 pounds sounds like BS to me. I very very rarely see a limo cow who is in any kind of flesh that is that 1,200 let alone an average. At least around here the average is more like 1,500 pounds with lots of 1,600-1,700 pounders out there.
while limo cattle is acceptable around here, however I have to agree with Dave, I don't buy that a 1,200lbs limo cow is average for this breed and I have seen more limo cows that are over 1,400lbs in most areas.

I will try and find that information for you folks. Might also consider limousin influenced are cheaper to feed. Alot of the old fullbloods and purebred were big like all other breeds. Not any more as a matter a fact NALF is telling us we need to make them bigger agin.

Limousin influenced cattle are accepted well here also. I do sell Limousin cattle and I usually average through the year about 3-4 calls a week for bulls mostly and heifers/cows. A lot of breeders using Limousin genetics in my area.

Circle H Ranch

As far as the frame issue, that can happen in any breed depending on someones breeding choices just like wild or crazy cattle can. Every breed has some of them as well. I recently purchased some TC Aberdeen semen , a popular Angus bull and he is listed online as a 6.8 frame score. I know there are more Angus bulls that have a larger frame than him.

Circle H Ranch

Limousin as a terminal sire is well accepted here in northern Minnesota. We have had Limo bulls a couple times in the past and they always had nice beefy calves (even out of my pet Holstein cow). But you are more likely to have to pull calves by them. If you have the cows for it there a great cross for market.

aprille218":385y727j said:
Limousin as a terminal sire is well accepted here in northern Minnesota. We have had Limo bulls a couple times in the past and they always had nice beefy calves (even out of my pet Holstein cow). But you are more likely to have to pull calves by them. If you have the cows for it there a great cross for market.

I bet most of the calving problems could be traced back to the holstein cow.

ABrauny":28qt62wk said:
I too really like the Limflex cross.. its what I raise. But......
I dont believe Limmis are any more accepted over the Chars or Simms with the feeders or packers. All the crosses are accepted just depending on the quality, which is what we all shoot for in the cow/calf operations.

Cattleman200":1fkfz9o8 said:
As far as the frame issue, that can happen in any breed depending on someones breeding choices just like wild or crazy cattle can. Every breed has some of them as well. I recently purchased some TC Aberdeen semen , a popular Angus bull and he is listed online as a 6.8 frame score. I know there are more Angus bulls that have a larger frame than him.

Circle H Ranch
TC Aberdeen is a 6.2 mature frame bull. Seen him in person about 4-5 years ago at the LT Ranch. He is a Bextor x Bon View New Design 208. Doubt there has ever been a 6.8 frame calf out of that mating.

Wulfs have a big deal going now using Limmy bulls on Jersey cows and all dairy buying them as wet calves and feeding them out. http://www.breedingtofeeding.com/

Mature size deal on Limmy's buddy mine has 80 head mostly from state sales and alot of Spring Creek from Wisconsin and I would say most Angus cows are few inches taller on average. He just bought some Herefords and they are even bigger.

I don't like them but them calves will grow and feed well. Alot of lean muscle on them animals.

MARC data last time I looked at it I was thinking Angus, Red Angus, Hereford were top 3 mature frame sizes and Charolais, Simmentals and Limmy's were toward the bottem. Continental breeds been breeding smaller frame and british went the other day and I see it all the time looking at cows.

Nope, only helped the Holstein once when she was a heifer. The rest of the herd was Angus, Hereford and Saler cross.

Here in Australia Limousin is the preferred breed for Grass-Fed domestic milk vealer market- this market is a finished calf straight of cow age 9-11mths and weighing 660-990 lbs.
The Australian feedlot industry are a little standoffish on the Continental crosses, unless it's shortfed (heavy domestic) or for the EU market. Most feedlots want them black and typically Angus.

Limos would be a lot more accepted here if we got paid directly on Yield Grade just as you do. We get paid on weight only with premiums for certain breeds for certain markets (Angus - branded market) (Limousin - light domestic) and i guess the Continentals do better if your paid over the hooks.
I can't wait for the day that we have an across the board system like the USDA system.

Latest posts