Favorite cross

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the Charolais x Hereford as well, but will be breeding my braunvieh x hereford, braunvieh x charolais and char x hereford heifers this Spring to an angus bull.

As some have mentioned the YWF sell well and make good mothers.

If I had the perfect working facility and was younger the F-1 braford is hard to beat in the South.

I have been putting a Charolais bull over beefmaster cows for ever. Never once have I been disappointed. However! I do like the Hereford bull over Brangus cows.

Just sold my first beefmaster angus calves today. Two heifers and a bull. They outweighed all the angus calves by a good bit. I knew that they had really grown, but never realized it was as much as it was. The beefmaster angus were younger than some of the others. They had all been fed by their mothers and had the same kind of grass. I am very pleased with them.

Favorite crossbred cattle I've seen on here are probably Nesi's Gelbvieh x Shorthorns
My best cows are holstein x hereford
The best steers I've finished out are holsteins or shorthorns; feeding a herfxholxsimxang (25/25/25/25) steer this year that I'm really excited about (700 pounds at 7 months on a 1 teat herfxhol 6 yr old)
If I was buying in this area I'd buy black nosed Charolais.

Love our char Gert crosses. They hang in there with the blacks at our sells.

SimmentalXAngus here, now.
Back in the 80s, where I was in practice, Beefmaster cattle predominated - but coming back on top of those BM cows with a Simmental bull sure made some dandy calves...

Still wanting to try some Braunvieh bulls over some of my heavily Angus-influenced cows...maybe in a year or two...

I like our Simmental/Gelbvieh cross calves. Although there is still a little Black Angus, Red Poll, Limousin, Holstein, and Foundation Simmental in the herd. The Gelbvieh/Red Poll cross did really well for us as well. Now we're moving a little further to a seed stock operation, therefore we have put the Gelbvieh on the back burner and are beginning to add just a bit more Angus to have a few SimAngus cattle just because of their high demand around here, but predominantly staying with purebred Simmental cattle. I just don't want a heavy dose of Angus, bad experiences with their dispositions here still haunts me. I figure I'll always keep some commercial cattle around here, hope to get to go back with a Polled Hereford or a Gold Gelbvieh Bull again, if I can ever get enough land to separate the commercial cross bred cows from my seed stock Simmental - SimAngus cows. Still miss those baldy/mottled face calves from my childhood days from our Poll Hereford bulls.

FlyingL, We have the same hauntings here! The RA were real hard on fences.. If you didn't want them to graze a field, you put them in it, they'd have their head through the fence to the next field in minutes.

I like a Char/Angus cow with a Sim Angus bull. Also have had good luck with Holstein/Angus cow and a Sim Angus bull.

By far the biggest calves in our put together herd came out of smaller British White or Tarentaise cows. :nod: Both breeds seem to mother up, milk heavy, and stay in decent condition.

If I was going to start another angus free experiment - - I would try Tarentaise x moderate Herf cows, and then use a black GV or Simi terminal sire.

Latest posts