Favorite cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Rniemann

Reaction score
Curious what everybody's favorite cross is? What part of country and why it makes a good cross breed. Do some not do well in some parts? Any failures?

Sunfish":1fem0ssh said:
Hard to beat a good brangus cow in the south
But they are not a "crossbred". Just a purebred composite.

My favorite cross would be a black Simmental bull on either Hereford or Angus cow even I don't have any Herefords here. Here simmentals are popular with many commercial folks and they use these bulls on commercial cows for better market calves.

My second favorite cross would be a Hereford bull bred to a beltie cow so I can have a bunch of panda cows for just show off.

I like our Shorthorn/Gelbvieh crosses, good producers and lots of milk and meat on them, Some of our cows had some Saler, I'd like to try a 3/8 Saler x 5/8 Gelbvieh.. I think that could make a pretty nice animal too. Trying a Limo bull now, will be able to tell you more about that in a year, I don't think the specific one we have may do very well on the SH cows, but ought to make good calves with the GV crosses (He might be a bit framey).

Super baldie cow, preferably out of horned bull. That cow covered with a charlois.

1982vett":313ttz09 said:
denvermartinfarms":313ttz09 said:
Brangus bull on hereford cows. Nothing about the cross I don't like.
Hereford bull on brangus cows..... ;-)
Yup, fine that way also. I just like Hereford cows and I can buy a good hereford cow alot cheaper than a average brangus or angus cow. Either way a black baldie with some ear is what I want calves to be.

Red Angus crossed with either a red Gelbvieh or a red Simmentahl and females from that bred back to a Hereford. The reason I like it is because it works, the first cross weans off heavy and the Hereford weans off even heavier.

Charolais cows bred to a horned hereford would probably be my second choice. These yellow baldie's will sell right with the blacks here.

denvermartinfarms":1qsgcrwo said:
1982vett":1qsgcrwo said:
denvermartinfarms":1qsgcrwo said:
Brangus bull on hereford cows. Nothing about the cross I don't like.
Hereford bull on brangus cows..... ;-)
Yup, fine that way also. I just like Hereford cows and I can buy a good hereford cow alot cheaper than a average brangus or angus cow. Either way a black baldie with some ear is what I want calves to be.
i agree, either way works.
Seems brangus are easier to find around here than Herefords now days but I had better results with brangus cows in this central Texas heat.

denvermartinfarms":1m5drxpr said:
Charolais cows. bred to a horned hereford would probably be my second choice. These yellow baldie's will sell right with the blacks here.

My dad bought 20 yellow baldies in early 70's and he raised calves for years off them things. true mamas. used several breeds of bulls. fatten most calves out heavy. them was the days.

One more vote for Brangus x Hereford. I use a Hereford bull on Brangus cows because then I only have one to watch for pinkeye instead of 20 or so.

Depends.
For purchased stockers I prefer Char crosses. They will outgrow almost anything.
For stock cows I prefer baldies. They are usually efficient, durable, and docile.
For terminial calves I prefer a Simi, Limi, or GV cross on baldies. They add stretch and muscle.
For making money I prefer to buy running age red cows bred Limi. Lots of black bias in this area.

F1 Brangus to a Horned Herford Bull and then take the Baldie heifers and put them with a Beefmaster bull, F1 Tigers to a Char Bull, SG and Hereford makes a good looking cow.

I like the Gelb x angus. Makes for some great females. My heaviest commercial weaners have been from a gelbvieh bull on Limi x angus cows.

I'm in Northeast Arkansas. I really like using my Charolais bull. I just have Longhorn, Jersey, Holstein, and Heinz 57 cows. I have used Saler, Angus, and Hereford before I got the Charolais, and these crosses are my picks. They hit the ground small and start growing.

I run brangus cows with herf bull now, but for replacements I love angus bull over gert cows! My uncles neighbor in Victoria runs his angus/gert cross hiefers with limi for terminal cross and they look good.

Latest posts