Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
THG":1bzet8bf said:
3waycross":1bzet8bf said:
THG":1bzet8bf said:
I see that a lot of you all breed Shorthorns. Well, what do the most of you cross that with, a Black Angus?

THG

Gelbvieh, great growth. Outstanding thickness.
I see, I have never tried out a Gelbvieh bull, just Chars and Angus bulls and also Hereford bulls. Now, what hide color are the calves when born, like a roan?

THG

Depends on the cows. We bred a hetero black
bull to a blk roan cow and got a red roan steer , bred the same bull to a red roan cow and got a blk roan steer.. Pretty much everything he threw was red mostly solid. There are some really good Gelbvieh bulls out there that are Homo Black and Homo Polled. You might want to look for one of those.

You might want to be careful on the EPD's for calving ease and birth weight. Also I wouldn't breed a shorthorn cow to a Gelbvieh with high milk numbers, you've probably already got that.

All in all it seems to be a great cross, weaned 625lb avg steers at a little over 6 mo.

The Angus folks, AAA, claims that the three highest selling calves are:

Black, Black Whiteface, and Angus X Charolais, in that order.

3waycross":3gx70hny said:
THG":3gx70hny said:
3waycross":3gx70hny said:
THG":3gx70hny said:
I see that a lot of you all breed Shorthorns. Well, what do the most of you cross that with, a Black Angus?

THG

Gelbvieh, great growth. Outstanding thickness.
I see, I have never tried out a Gelbvieh bull, just Chars and Angus bulls and also Hereford bulls. Now, what hide color are the calves when born, like a roan?

THG

Depends on the cows. We bred a hetero black
bull to a blk roan cow and got a red roan steer , bred the same bull to a red roan cow and got a blk roan steer.. Pretty much everything he threw was red mostly solid. There are some really good Gelbvieh bulls out there that are Homo Black and Homo Polled. You might want to look for one of those.

You might want to be careful on the EPD's for calving ease and birth weight. Also I wouldn't breed a shorthorn cow to a Gelbvieh with high milk numbers, you've probably already got that.

All in all it seems to be a great cross, weaned 625lb avg steers at a little over 6 mo.
Hey, now if you can wean calves that heavy, then there is no reason to stop the cross, right?

THG

MikeC":qrf4c6to said:

And Mike C, they are absolutely right.

THG

That claim goes against most buyers and producers that buy sale black whiteface over strait blacks. Do you believe that claim by the AAA; MikeC. There is a higher quantity of strait blacks; so higher gross, but black whiteface always out does straits.

TB-Herefords":2azl67p3 said:
That claim goes against most buyers and producers that buy sale black whiteface over strait blacks. Do you believe that claim by the AAA; MikeC. There is a higher quantity of strait blacks; so higher gross, but black whiteface always out does straits.
Do you know Neal Ward in Idaho? Darn good man and a darn good hereford breeder.

THG

Do you believe that claim by the AAA; MikeC.

I've read so much propaganda by the CAB folks, if they told me the sun was coming up in the morning.......I'd go outside and check for myself.

MikeC":3bsoze1f said:

I'd like to see the evidence to back up that claim. The few studies I've seen have had yellow and yellow whiteface at the top, but those were state and regional studies. Imagine how much money and effort it would take to do such a study nationwide.

VanC":dpztuive said:
MikeC":dpztuive said:

I'd like to see the evidence to back up that claim. The few studies I've seen have had yellow and yellow whiteface at the top, but those were state and regional studies. Imagine how much money and effort it would take to do such a study nationwide.

Van,
The same guy that did the research from where you got your info is the same guy that the AAA got their info from. :roll: :lol: :shock:

Tom Troxel, Univ. of Arkansas Extension Service. :lol:

MikeC":22yzred5 said:
VanC":22yzred5 said:
MikeC":22yzred5 said:

Van,
The same guy that did the research from where you got your info is the same guy that the AAA got their info from. :roll: :lol: :shock:

Tom Troxel, Univ. of Arkansas Extension Service. :lol:

Interesting. :shock:

Claims are just hard to believe. Like O.J. he always claims innocence; with enough marketing of his lawyers and money out of his pockets he can make some people believe. :D

I dont know Neal Ward. What part of Idaho?

I like what the Hereford Association is doing to show it's advantage. Putting Hereford/Angus cross up against strait angus to show the advantage. They arn't getting the results from with in the association; it's coming from the angus breeders. Not that I am saying Angus Association doesn't do things write. Circle A Angus is using hereford bulls on their angus cows to compair to their strait angus calves. If they see the same results as with Harris Ranch do you think they will start to market Hereford bulls too?

VanC":2tn9t6nw said:
MikeC":2tn9t6nw said:

Big money that is what.

THG

TB-Herefords":1ogh1r5m said:
Claims are just hard to believe. Like O.J. he always claims innocence; with enough marketing of his lawyers and money out of his pockets he can make some people believe. :D

I dont know Neal Ward. What part of Idaho?

I like what the Hereford Association is doing to show it's advantage. Putting Hereford/Angus cross up against strait angus to show the advantage. They arn't getting the results from with in the association; it's coming from the angus breeders. Not that I am saying Angus Association doesn't do things write. Circle A Angus is using hereford bulls on their angus cows to compair to their strait angus calves. If they see the same results as with Harris Ranch do you think they will start to market Hereford bulls too?
You don't know of Wooden Shoe Farms in Blackfoot, ID? Owned by Neal Ward, darn good friend of mine. Neal and his family are good people to be around. As for Circle A Ranch, I like there Black Angus bulls, but will they start a Hereford herd, possibly. It would be nice to see Circle A Ranch start a Hereford herd, a Polled Hereford cowherd.

THG

I only know of Wooden Shoe Farms through the advertising; and they don't do much of it locally. I believe they are located in another state also; correct me if I'm wrong. The guys I am most familar with here in Idaho is Shaw, Colyer. The Shaw's are really good people, been around for a long time. I mentioned in your poll question I am not a fan of the polled hereford. Why are you? Is it strickly horns.

TB-Herefords":3lq6ha9t said:
I only know of Wooden Shoe Farms through the advertising; and they don't do much of it locally. I believe they are located in another state also; correct me if I'm wrong. The guys I am most familar with here in Idaho is Shaw, Colyer. The Shaw's are really good people, been around for a long time. I mentioned in your poll question I am not a fan of the polled hereford. Why are you? Is it strickly horns.
No, Wooden Shoe Farms is located in Blackfoot, ID, Neal Ward and family. So, your a horned breeder, well, I have heard of both Coyler and Shaw, but never followed there genetics at all. I am Polled Hereford and Polled Hereford sell better in my part of the world than Horned Herefords.

THG

VanC":3rpf4zlx said:
MikeC":3rpf4zlx said:

Markets vary from one part of the country to another. But you should know, Van, that if there's a way to measure it, the Angus people will. They've been running a "study" for eight years now. It's not scientific, of course, but still telling.

http://www.cabpartners.com/news/publish ... remium.pdf

MikeC":2g84bwmt said:
That was just 38¢ short of the record
premium for Angus steers set a year
earlier.

Guess this means the 2007 premiums have fallen? :lol:

I think they're maintaining. But fewer high quality Angus sired calves are going through sale barns these days and that's where this data comes from. The demand for AngusSource calves is driving special sales or direct marketing programs. :) The days when "black" calves were assumed to be Angus are coming to an end. If people are raising quality Angus calves by using a registered Angus bull, they should put an AngusSource tag in their ear.

Frankie":33v0vyik said:
If people are raising quality Angus calves by using a registered Angus bull, they should put an AngusSource tag in their ear.

Then we can ensure they are not Brangus sired if they have a brangus momma when they come through the sale barn.
(sorry Frankie, I couldn't resist, my only problem with angus is my climate)

Latest posts