Favorite brand of automatic waterer, what's yours?

Help Support CattleToday:

do you mean float valves? I like Hudson valves except for if they get a speck of gravel they leak, otherwise they are indestructable, have good flow and are fairly inexpensive.

Those cheapo box shaped things designed for garden hoses are actually pretty handy to if you don't need large volumes fast, I have a buch of those rigged up in various places, including a cut-off beer keg in the chicken coop.

you have to build a box for most anything else.

Other then the oncrete bury in the ground freeze proofs (yah, right) we've retired all of the waterers except one ritchie and replaced them with the cheapo little giant deals. With 150 or 300 gallon tanks the fill right isn;t really an issue since all of the cows rarely come up at the same time to drink.
The ritchie may be a real gem, but to me it's still a lump of coal. It has the horizontal valve and I have to clean it out at least once a week, sometimes more. The smallest speck of stuff in it and it leaks. Same problem with the Hudson that I pitched after a week of constantly having to clean it.

dun

We have a Ritchie and a Mira-fount. The Ritchie has given us a little more trouble, the float seems to stick once or twice a year and we'll have a flood. Also it has froze up a couple times, but it wasn't installed in the recommended fashion so that could be why. But the Ritchie waterer is close to 30 years old so I guess I can cut it some slack.

The Mira-fount is really nice in my opinion. The cover balls have froze in position several times from the cows slopping, but only when it's really cold. If I put in another one it will probably be another Mira-fount.

Herefordcross":mty1y1hn said:
What's your favorite brand of automatic waterer and why? I know that somebody has some good advice on these things!

Hello Herefordcross

Keep in mind that at some point you are going to need parts. Nobody has the track record of Ritchie in this area.

30 years old and still in service and all parts are readily available. Thats pretty amazing.

Dub

We have used them all and they leak at one time or another. We findly went to Little giants. . We buy by the case . when they leak we put another one in. It is alot cheaper than an of the other ones. Hope this helps and good luck.

ChrisB":1xj72n2a said:
We have a Ritchie and a Mira-fount. The Ritchie has given us a little more trouble, the float seems to stick once or twice a year and we'll have a flood. Also it has froze up a couple times, but it wasn't installed in the recommended fashion so that could be why. But the Ritchie waterer is close to 30 years old so I guess I can cut it some slack.

The Mira-fount is really nice in my opinion. The cover balls have froze in position several times from the cows slopping, but only when it's really cold. If I put in another one it will probably be another Mira-fount.

ChrisB - I have the exact opposite opinion! :) We have pulled all the mirafount and replaced with Ritchie.

Wife on weekends.

Daughters through the week.

Cheap and have the ability to think - they know when to turn on the water and when to turn it off.

Will work in daylight or dark.

Will work before or after supper.

Allows me to sit on the veranda and have a drink and read a book with no worries.

Does a fine job in the winter - NEVER freezes up, never over flows and alawys provides an update on any ice build up.

Bez?

Herefordcross":u0vqq0jk said:
What's your favorite brand of automatic waterer and why? I know that somebody has some good advice on these things!

I guess I'm missing something. What's wrong with a tank and a float? Install a tank heater and you don't have to worry about breaking the ice, either. :?

Bez?":3f2o9sia said:
Wife on weekends.

Daughters through the week.

Cheap and have the ability to think - they know when to turn on the water and when to turn it off.

Will work in daylight or dark.

Will work before or after supper.

Allows me to sit on the veranda and have a drink and read a book with no worries.

Does a fine job in the winter - NEVER freezes up, never over flows and alawys provides an update on any ice build up.

Bez?

You're such a gentleman! :roll: You weren't by chance a slave owner in a previous life, were you? ;-) :p :p :p

There was a 2 hole SPI brand in our barnyard when we bought the farm. ( Blue plastic kind, I think they have a website ). It has frozen a couple times over the years but only when it went below minus 30 C AND there was a wind. Pail of hot water solved that.

No electric to worry about.

Parts are stocked at our local Co op.

Would buy another in a second.

Inside the barn I have what msscamp has, tanks with heaters.

I would be risking having a personal experience with the Burdizzo if I attempted what Bez does! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts