Which type of waterer?

Help Support CattleToday:

judd-e

Reaction score
Pasture is 42 acres. Setting up for rotational graze of 8 paddocks. Our plan calls for 4 water points. Will use pressurized water from pond. Would you alll use tire tanks or cobett waterers? And why? Probably be 20 head max and located in nw Missouri
Thank you

I guess either one would work, 4 waterers will get pricey. I rotational graze and have a buried pressure line with quick coupler risers to connect a 150gal portable tank with a float valve, I set it up under the cross fence and it services 2 paddocks then move it when I move cows. The risers are also beneath the cross fence wire so they don't get broken by being stepped on.

I guess either one would work, 4 waterers will get pricey. I rotational graze and have a buried pressure line with quick coupler risers to connect a 150gal portable tank with a float valve, I set it up under the cross fence and it services 2 paddocks then move it when I move cows. The risers are also beneath the cross fence wire so they don't get broken by being stepped on.
I am using cost share thru nrcs I think either would work also just want lowest possible problems during winter as I don't live at property

Yes, winter watering needs something more substantial. Around here grazing and winter don't belong in the same sentence!
On second thought bale and swath grazing works in the frozen north and quiet often snow is used for a water source.

Our tire waterers are the only ones that won't freeze over. If they do it's usually just a skim of ice. They have a thermostatic spray valve, I'm not sure how well it would work on just the head pressure of a pond.

I've knocked 3 inches of ice out of our Cobett's before. Never had the pipes freeze below but you will need to check them a couple times a day when it gets really cold. I'm in SW Missouri so you guys get a little colder than us.

I have a tire waterer with approx 100 HD using it in winter without heat about 15F is the freeze threshold if it is calm. It is 5ft diameter with 5 or 6 tires of the same size buried under the waterer about 9 or 10 feet deep.

A solar-powered tank bubbler plus a couple of rubber or plastic balls help to keep it from freezing. If you want to go all out, cover it with some rubber trailer mats also so that the wind cannot reach the surface area of the water.

I would go with tire water tanks. We put in the concrete tanks and they are a pain in the butt. Starting to switch everything over to tire tanks. Rubber Innovations is out of north west Missouri and sell factory defect earth moving tires that are cut for you. Very affordable and the tires i got are brand new

For my money Mirafount is the only way to go, the 4-balls were around $800 6-ball $1,200. Too much stuff going on during the winter to have to worry about waterers freezing these waterers you can put in and forget about.

Latest posts