Favorite 4 x 4 side by side

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
We are looking for a 4 x 4 side by side and would like to know if anybody has a favorite?
The one we looked at the other day ( Cub Cadet) was as huge as a car. I have an Artic Cat 4 wheeler now and from the day I bought it 6 years ago it has been a pain to start and keep running. I think a side by side with a small box in back would be very handy around the ranch.

my friend has a kubota MPV diesel 4x4.an it rides nice an smooth.an i havent heard him complain about any probs.if i ever get 1 itll prolly be a kubota MPV.the 4 wheeler gets harder to get on an off of with each passing year.

I like the Deere HPX, I think its very similar and maybe the same as the Mule 3010. The Deere is powered by a Kawasaki engine and the load and towing capacities are very close. Honda is releasing a utility vehicle also I saw it on their website.

We have owned a Mule, Ranger, and Kubota on the farm. All 4X4 and the Ranger was the only gas engine of the three. The mule is head and shoulders above the others. (now that we have the right tires for the job)
As for as a Honda I would bet it is a great machine but Im sure its gonna be pricey!

I had a Yamaha Rhino for a little while. It was a good bit smaller than most others, with a smaller box on back. Not even close to big enough to use for any kind of farm work. A 25 gallon spot sprayer would not fit in the box. It's also very loud and a rough ride. Good for play, but not for working out of.

Have a Cub Cadet now and it works real well, fairly good ride, and not too loud. Only problem I had was the clutch. It was sticking right from day one and making the starts real abrupt. They replaced it, and now it does real well. Don't know how it compares price-wise with the mules and such, but it's about $2500 less than a comparable Gator. You know how expensive that green paint is......

Had a HPX Deere and traded for a XUV last year, the fuel injection is a must. My wife still uses our old 4x2 now the TX when Jr isn't using it. I would not buy anything with out fuel injection, we traded lawnmowers to get one with fuel injection. We have always had Deeres and would have had more if we would have tried one earlier, they are the best thing since silced bread around the farm. The Kubotas are nice but don't handle our mud in the winter. I don't know about a mule, but the Bush Hog ones looked good for the price. Alot of side x sides anymore are toys and not practical for working.

Someday when I'm rich and famous, I'm going to get me a new utility vehicle.

Right now I'm using an old Yamaha golf car that my brother-in-law sold me. I've jacked up the suspension for more ground clearance, and put agressive tires on it. I use it for all my pasture tree spot spraying, but it really is a little under powered. On a positive note, it runs forever on a tank of gas. I would really like a new 4x4 model of some sort. I've been looking at the ones in tractor supply and orschlens. They are the closest in my price range.

So what are the upper end ones up to now? $15,000? $20,000. It's crazy. I can go to a local car lot and buy a used 4X4 pickup for $5,000 which is why I have such a hard time shelling out $8,000 for a utility vehicle. (I think I have about $1,500 invested in my silly golfcart. :dunce: )

The higher end ones can run you 11K or so not counting extras. You can get the smaller Mules and Rhinos for like 6K. They are nice.

They both have their advantages, but with a used truck for 5k, you are getting a used, and likely abused vehicle. For 6k you get a brand new Mule, with warranty.
The utvs are cheaper to run, easier to jump in and out of, and alot more manuverable. You can easily wip them into barns or what ever like that. Plus, when its real wet you can go out and make little or no ruts. They can float right over stuff you would rut up in a truck.

rhino 660, or now 700 is unbeatable. Runs circles around a buddies mule. Had a flat bed welded on works great. Run a 30g sprayer, holds 10 bags of cubes, all my misc equipment. Little pricey, but great after market options that mulies can't get. However, rhino style was just sold to kawa so they have a T rex worth looking at. Same body, different motor.

BoarinRhino-1.jpg

Its all a matter of what you need and want. The Rhinos run faster because the Mules are governed to 25mph, but the Rhinos can't hold the weight a Mule can.

I am going to get a Teryx in Sept. Those bucket seats are nice. The Teryx is a far copy from the Rhino. Its frame, suspension, motor and every thing is far superior to the Rhino. It has not been out long enough to have all the aftermarket stuff but it will.

Straight utility...get either a Mule or Polaris Ranger. There is nothing wrong with them at all. And if you are of that cut....they will be great.

If you want some drivability, and a little sport...the Teryx or Rhino. You do sacrifice some bed size. It depends on what you really want. I'm old....but I still like to play at times. I bought a Teryx, it works for me, I like it a lot.

Latest posts