4 wheeler vs side by side for the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

A weekender just got a glorified golf cart. Looked ok, but would never last for what we use them for. But for piddling around on a weekend place it would be ok, they are quiet..

It is a big world out there. What works great in one part of it might not be so great in another part. I have been places where people called something a mountain that would barely be considered a hill in another area. What some people use for a task wouldn't begin to work for how other people have to complete the same task. There are examples of all this but use what works for you.

By far my most used piece of equipment here is my old XR500 dirt bike, goes anywhere, nimble and powerful enough the cows have no chance at outrunning it..
I like the old Yamaha quads, I have a couple big bear 350's.. I love honda motorcycles but I've never liked their quads.. I've hated pretty much anything Suzuki I've ever had.
My bike cost $1000, my Yamaha quad cost $200, and a UTV costs 10K and up.. that makes my choice pretty clear for me

Don't underestimate the pulling power of the bike either ;)

Dave said:
It is a big world out there. What works great in one part of it might not be so great in another part. I have been places where people called something a mountain that would barely be considered a hill in another area. What some people use for a task wouldn't begin to work for how other people have to complete the same task. There are examples of all this but use what works for you.

I agree with that and the same can be said for what one considers "work" vs another. You cant have stock tires on your atv or utv and tell me how hard you work it. If you can get by with stock tires... you haven't even cracked that nut.

Also, when some one says how great a brand is and then you ask how many of the others they have owned or used or had any experience with and they have never used another one.

Every ones opinion is based on their experience. Some have experienced more than others.

It's cool if you dont want to spend the money or dont have to use a utv to the full extent of it's abilities but that's not really an apple to apple comparison.

That price tag is because its versatility, and abilities, and all the other benefits. If you dont need all them, then yes, it doesnt make sense to pay that. A lot of people have no clue what all you can do in them and will never push them to the max. It truly is amazing.

It's like a horse... if you have to have it... there is no replacement.

Might look at a suzuki samurai or a chevy or geo tracker, not any bigger than a sxs and are tough little rigs. Also gives you a cab and heater. I used to have a samurai, kept the top off during the summer and could even take off the doors. A guy back where I grew up used to use them to spray rice levees, jacked them up and put a big set of rice and cane tires on it, in 4 low it'll go anywhere and never spin a tire. You can pick them up for $5,000 or less, especially the tracker. And they're street legal. I've considered a sxs numerous times but always talk myself out of it because of price. If I was to get one I think I'd get the mule 4010 trans, not priced bad and has the option to haul 4 people. The mule is a workhorse, every ATV/UTV mechanic I talk to says if speed and great suspension are not what your wanting to get a mule cause they'll last forever. I have a yamaha 600 grizzly 4 wheeler now and it's a beast but not real comfortable for the wife and I both riding especially getting on and off opening and closing gates, but it gets in places that a sxs couldn't, especially in the woods.

I've got a 2014 mule 4010 and it's great for getting on and off of a hundred times as I put up hot wire. It's got tons of space for tools and a big tough bed.

FYI -It's a lot easier to drive a UTV and drink beer than an ATV.

Latest posts