4 wheeler vs side by side for the farm

Help Support CattleToday:

DCB4

Reaction score
Wanting to buy something for chores on the farm and have never had either one. Mainly want to use to check cows and tag calves, keep a sprayer on to spray cattle, pack feed & mineral out to the field. I can definitely see where a bed, especially a dump bed could come in handy. However it's hard to beat the price point on a brand new 4 wheeler. My soon to be 1 year old daughter loves to ride on the father in laws gator and check out the cows so that's got me leaning towards a side by side as well. For those out there that have one or both is the extra money worth going to a side by side? Also what machines do you recommend or suggest staying away from? I'm personally a jd guy and would prefer a gator but wouldn't be opposed to going a different direction

If you can only have one, get a side x side. They are really two different machines that do different things. I have both and would hate to do without either one. I won't get into the which one is best argument but I have a Honda Rancher bought used and a Kubota RTV1140 bought new but now 10 years old.

When its really muddy the rancher is superior because of the way it floats over the mud and doesn't teat up the pasture. But with its small size, its not much for carrying tools and supplies but it is perfect for spraying individual plants or trash trees. Its a quick easy ride when just doing a check of the cows. Its very dependable. It is also much more maneuverable when moving or chasing cows.
The big Kubota is used for the real work or carrying a larger sprayer. I use both of mine equally with the weather being the determining factor many times. Real hot, real cold or raining means the Kubota always is the choice because it has a windshield and a roof.

If I was only able to have one, I would probly choose a SXS. I love the 4 wheeler. But most of the time a SXS would go where I need to go. And I could pack stuff with me for working, doctoring, etc..

UTV by far. It's worth the addition cost.

JD has multiple different version of the gator from turf type to utility to sporty. You have all the JD accessories available and there is usually a JD store on every corner.

The Kawasaki Mule is also worth a look. It's a plain jane, reliable, work vehicle with a great price.

Kubota has some also just nake sure to get the independent suspension and cvt belt drive, no hydrostatic transmissions.

Honda has a Pioneer that is on the upper end of the price range but it's very reliable and has non-belt driven transmission.

I've posted on here many times I did not want a side by side. Bought one for my dad, and he really couldn't use it (we do take him for rides on it though). Now, I guess I'll never be without one.

We had that same discussion about a year ago and ended up with a UTV, and glad we did. I can see where both would have certain advantages over the other but the UTV has been more practical and usable for us than a ATV. We use ours to feed with and check cattle as well as packing around fence patching material. There is much more space to store and carry tools and cargo on a UTV. We got a Polaris XP1000, We looked at a lot of them and in my opinion the Polaris and Can Ams were the ones we liked the best.

I would not buy a new atv. It's just not a good value IMO. You can go buy a nice utv and then a really good, used, atv for dirt cheap if you think you need both.

I've been keeping my eye out for a used atv to let my son cruise and to throw in the cattle trailer some times but no way in heck I'm giving up the utv.

One thing I appreciate with the UTV is opening gates. I just step out of it even while still moving and easy to get back in, no leg over. 4 wheelers are not too bad opening gates reaching over the front but you gotta get the leg over twice when shutting them.

Ken

wbvs58 said:
One thing I appreciate with the UTV is opening gates. I just step out of it even while still moving and easy to get back in, no leg over. 4 wheelers are not too bad opening gates reaching over the front but you gotta get the leg over twice when shutting them.

Ken

If you gotta go through multiple gates close together you ride side saddle.

To echo what has already been said... Both have there place. I have 14 year old Honda rancher and a 4 year old Polaris Ranger. Both have been maintained and perform almost flawlessly. I like the rancher for spraying and herding cows on the rare occasion I have to go that route. I like the Ranger when I'm working, especially on fence.

FWIW, the Kubota and Kawasaki are super tough and durable workhorse machines based on friends and neighbors that own or have owned them.

JMJ Farms said:
To echo what has already been said... Both have there place. I have 14 year old Honda rancher and a 4 year old Polaris Ranger. Both have been maintained and perform almost flawlessly. I like the rancher for spraying and herding cows on the rare occasion I have to go that route. I like the Ranger when I'm working, especially on fence.

FWIW, the Kubota and Kawasaki are super tough and durable workhorse machines based on friends and neighbors that own or have owned them.

Kawasaki was the first with the"Mule". Then Polaris smoked them for a few years with their line. Kubotas and Gators were heavy and slow back then. Now, all of them (from what I have read and seen) are pretty close. Everyone has their own opinion.

sstterry said:
JMJ Farms said:

Kawasaki was the first with the"Mule". Then Polaris smoked them for a few years with their line. Kubotas and Gators were heavy and slow back then. Now, all of them (from what I have read and seen) are pretty close. Everyone has their own opinion.

Polaris didnt smoke any one. :lol: They have never been in a competition. Kawasaki has been very clear with their intentions for the Mule from day one. The Mule is made to be a reliable, affordable, workhorse.

Latest posts